Next Grados After SR225?
May 24, 2011 at 9:11 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

pow3rtr1p

100+ Head-Fier
My first pair of Grado cans was a pair of SR80s from the late 90s. I appreciated the sound they were going for, but they really didn't wow me. I still used my Audiotechnica A900s for almost everything. However, when I sold my SR80s and bought a pair of SR225s (no i) I fell in love with that Grado sound. The space they give the sound, and the absolute detail and clarity they have, makes them an absolute joy to listen to for almost everything. I will hold on to the Audiotechnicas as a nice compliment to their sound, but I am thinking Grado more and more embodies my ideal headphone tone.

Now I have to figure out what the next step in Grados is. Would the better move be to woody-mod these 225s, or to try to find something else? I was considering the RS2 as the next step, but I would like some opinions. I'm not looking to spend PS1000 or GS1000s right now, unless I could find a used one for under $700...

So, for those of you who love your Grados of all flavors (Kramer, I'm looking at you) what do you consider the logical next step after the SR225s?

Thanks,
Patrick

May 24, 2011 at 9:23 AM Post #2 of 6
I went from 225i' to RS1i and never looked back. They are similar in sound but the RS1's just do it better, much more bass aswell.   

May 24, 2011 at 9:26 AM Post #3 of 6
Grab some AD2000 or A2000X for a more balanced sound. If you REALLY wanted Grados, I quite liked the RS-1i myself.

May 24, 2011 at 9:36 AM Post #4 of 6

Quote:
I went from 225i' to RS1i and never looked back. They are similar in sound but the RS1's just do it better, much more bass aswell.   

Don't be telling me that.  I'm eyeballing a pair of RS-1i at the moment.

To the OP.  It certainly wouldn't hurt to modify your SR-225 headphones.  Selling them won't gain you much.  Have some fun with them and if they still don't bring the results you desire, the move onto another headphone.  I have a pair of SR-225 (not the "i") with the woody mod, the Dynamat on the back of the magnet.  Also, all 12 vent holes were opened, but fresh felt was installed over the holes to not allow so much bass to pass through that they would be a boomy headphone.  Instead, they sound pretty great and balanced.  I'm content with them at the moment.  I have a pair of stock SR-325i - which are not bad.  However, the woody SR-225 headphones are "fun" headphones.

May 24, 2011 at 9:43 AM Post #5 of 6

Quote:
Don't be telling me that.  I'm eyeballing a pair of RS-1i at the moment.

Go for it wje! I just know you'll luv em!

May 24, 2011 at 11:24 AM Post #6 of 6
I was actually considering a higher-end pair of Audiotechnicas eventually, because these A900s have been fantastic. However, I think the next Grado step comes first, which is beginning to look more like a mod of my 225s, and less like a new pair of cans. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back