[NEWS / DISCUSSION / IMPRESSION] Phonak Audéo PFE232
Dec 10, 2011 at 3:10 PM Post #331 of 1,082
Has anyone compared the 112 with, say, a long-in-the-tooth familiar reference like the Shure SE500 or 530 or 535? Is it an upgrade all around, or perhaps just better highs, or...?

Dec 10, 2011 at 3:25 PM Post #332 of 1,082
Quote:
Prolific much? Your quest is unquenchable.
bigsmile_face.gif
 I'll be real interested in you take vs GR10 as I'm also a big fan of Phonak. Are those Grados run in yet.

As long as Head-Fi's around, my quest continues... 
evil_smiley.gif

That was directed to 5370H55V, whom I'm eagerly waiting to hear first impressions from, as are the rest of us I'm sure. I don't intend to purchase the PFE232 anytime soon, not at it's current price. For the time being, I have enough in-ears to keep me distracted, especially since my IE80 is due within the next 2 weeks, as is (hopefully) my UM Miracle, so I'm sure either one will keep my ears occupied. Meanwhile, I'm not sure as to how many hours have been put on my GR10, as they were purchased second hand. However, I've put in over 40 hours alone since I received them, and they had me at hello. Much like my e-Q5, once the GR10 is in, it's as if nothing else matters. However, I've been eyeing the PFE 112 for quite some time, so that may be just around the bend, if and when the right deal presents itself. 
wink.gif

Dec 10, 2011 at 4:33 PM Post #334 of 1,082
Quote:
You're talking about the PFE232 (not the 112), aren't you? The PFE112 wouldn't be an upgrade to any of the mentioned phones.

No, I'm speaking of the 112. 
tongue.gif
 Considering the fact that as the EX1000 (my absolute favorite in-ear of all time) is currently ~$310, I really don't see myself paying nearly twice as much for any other universal in-ear, much less the PFE232. Granted, I'm sure the PFE112 is no upgrade to the GR10, e-Q5, IE80, etc. I'm merely considering it out of curiosity, as it's received an endless amount of praise here and outside of Head-Fi, and has since then sparked my curiosity. 
smile.gif

P.S. If you had to james, where would you say the PFE232 sits within your ranking, my friend?

Dec 12, 2011 at 9:23 AM Post #336 of 1,082
So, I have taken 232 from my local distributor today. I'll be writting review for polish readers but will give you some details either.
After the first listen I had mixed feelings about them, but the more I listen to them the more convincing the sound is.
But I don't know why people keep comparing them with W4 whilst they sound more like W3.
To my personal taste 232 is Gr07 in armature world with a bit higher price
ph34r.gif

Dec 12, 2011 at 11:45 AM Post #339 of 1,082

Quote:
Hmm hate to brake it to you but it actually has even sharper and more extended highs. Especially with grey filters.

Oh? sibilant or close to? if it sounds like W3 then I doubt i'll like it........

Dec 12, 2011 at 12:34 PM Post #341 of 1,082

Quote:
I'm sensitive to harsh treble and especially sibilance, I dislike phones like the CK10, B2, etc. Only thing I can say is that the PFE232 have the best treble I ever heard in an IEM.

dfkt, have you tried W3? in relation how would you find W3's treble to PFE232? W3 to me is EXTREMELY sibilant.. like unlistenable... had to EQ down with comply tips when i had them...

oh when will your full length review of the PFE232's coming out? been waiting a while... :D thanks! 

Dec 12, 2011 at 1:10 PM Post #342 of 1,082
For me these aren't "the best". I'd call them the most extended though. Highs are not sybiliant, but when a record is poorly mastered I can feel highs on my teeth. W3 are of course extreme sybiliant the same goes to DBA. I don't like that either. For me DDM11 is highs reference
Oh and just to be clear. By comparison to W3 I meant overall sound signature - big bass, extended treble. W4 is much more natural

Dec 12, 2011 at 1:38 PM Post #343 of 1,082
The highs of the PFE232 with grey filters aren't sibilant but they are on the bright side of neutral for sure. Cymbals tend to be reproduced borderline sharp and piercing. And that's not due to badly recorded material but with good to excellent CDs and SACDs by Chesky, Stockfish etc.. Extension is outstanding, though.

BTW the black filters don't help. They don't tame the highs but just subdue the mids leading to a u-shaped signature. The green filters imo are virtually unusable except for XB/Dr. Dre lovers.

Dec 13, 2011 at 3:14 AM Post #344 of 1,082
I totaly agree, I had them for 3 weeks and I gave them back for a total refund.

The way they produce treble isn't sibillant but to my ears,  they tend to exaggerate the treble energy in an unnatural way...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back