Newbie needs Advice. Need a good amp for my Denon AH-D5000
Sep 27, 2011 at 4:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Profparched

New Head-Fier
I'm a newbie when it comes to using headphones. I just invested in a pair of Denon AH-D5000. I know that i need an amp to make these things do what they are capable of doing and am hoping to get some solid recommendations on what headphone amp i should purchase. For what it's worth, I mainly listen to all types of rock especially progressive rock. I am looking for a warm sound. I hate fatiguing highs and can describe myself as a person that is looking for a smooth warm sound with very defined bass.

The amp does not need to be portable (although i wouldn't mind that) as i have a set of Etymotic ER-4P when i need to travel. When i am using my Denon headphones i will be playing CD's, vinyl LP's and from time to time might access some MP3's or FLAC files from my computer.

Finally, I am looking for a cost effective solution. Does spending somewhere in the neighborhood of $250-$500 USD get me something worthy of the Denon headphones i just purchased?

Thanks in advance for any guidance!

Marc Etymotic ER-4P   for those timesEtymoti

Sep 27, 2011 at 9:08 PM Post #2 of 8
I have used the D7000's with the HA-160 (mainly with rock, D&b and some electronica) and i was really pleased on how it sounds. You can feel the Drums and bass punch.  I assume it would be a nice match for the D5000's as well. 

Sep 28, 2011 at 7:08 AM Post #3 of 8
I havent tried this exact combo but as the above poster said, the 160 should be great with the d7000s

Sep 28, 2011 at 7:36 AM Post #4 of 8
yeah, but he said in the neighborhood of 200 to 500

the best he can do is get a b-stock/used Burson (if it's available).

I haven't listened the following amps but have seen favorable impressions from members on the forum:

Sciitt Asgard 
Fiio E7+E9 combo
Little Dot I+ (actually owned this, go for it)
Matrix M-Stage 

Forgotten stuff:

Pico dac/amp
Bellari tube
Ortofon
Apogee Duet (and even the other model)

Those are the only ones that have come to mind.  Good luck.

Sep 28, 2011 at 3:32 PM Post #8 of 8

Quote:
Thanks for the feedback Fabio-fi. Just to be clear....i googled HA-160 and i saw a Burson Audio HA-160....is that what you were referring to?

Exactly. If you're short on budget, take a look at the F/S forum, hopefully you find a used HA-160 on mint condition.
Good luck!  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back