Newbie looking for solid advice.
Mar 19, 2013 at 12:42 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Outlaw21k

New Head-Fier
I work in a moderately loud company. I have a small budget, but I have a NOONTEC Zorro headset and a FiiO E6 amp in my Amazon cart. I am looking for a total of nothing more than $120 total for both (Present,y just under $100). 

My question is, are these good together? And is it a good buy?  

I listen to all sorts of music, mainly in a casual work environment. 

I'm willing to take recommendations if possibly given. 

Many thanks

Mar 19, 2013 at 12:56 AM Post #2 of 11
I have never heard the Noontec Zoro, but from the reviews I see on amazon, seems like it's a pretty decent pair of headphones.  If you are open to other suggestions, definitely consider the Creative Aurvana Live's for close to the same price.  I've owned over 30 pairs of headphones and these are one of my all time favorites and would always happily recommend them to anyone who's looking to be introduced to the head-fi world.

Mar 19, 2013 at 3:39 AM Post #3 of 11
Quote:
I work in a moderately loud company. I have a small budget, but I have a NOONTEC Zorro headset and a FiiO E6 amp in my Amazon cart. I am looking for a total of nothing more than $120 total for both (Present,y just under $100). 

My question is, are these good together? And is it a good buy?  

I listen to all sorts of music, mainly in a casual work environment. 

I'm willing to take recommendations if possibly given. 

Many thanks

Heya,

First, why are you even getting the E6 portable amp? I wouldn't bother.

I would put your whole budget towards a good headphone, and focus on getting a headphone that doesn't need additional amplification or anything.

Look into:

Koss DJ PRO 100
JVC HARX 900
AudioTechnica T400
AudioTechnica WS55
Gemini DJ HSR 1000

Very best,

Mar 20, 2013 at 7:40 AM Post #5 of 11
Quote:

Heya,

First, why are you even getting the E6 portable amp? I wouldn't bother.

I would put your whole budget towards a good headphone, and focus on getting a headphone that doesn't need additional amplification or anything.

Look into:

Koss DJ PRO 100
JVC HARX 900
AudioTechnica T400
AudioTechnica WS55
Gemini DJ HSR 1000

Very best,

Without reading your post, I had the same thing in mind, I wouldn't bother buying a portable amplifier at this stage.
However, as you (OP) stated that you work in a moderately loud environment, why not invest in a pair of IEM's instead? Having ambient noise in the background isn't very pleasant.. *given that the headphones don't isolate very well

Mar 20, 2013 at 10:56 AM Post #6 of 11
I'd go as far as saying look into the JVC HA-RX700's as well and use the extra cash for an E11.  The RX700's are currently my cheapest set I have and listen to them all of the time - the amp brings it to life - will need a bit of break in.

Mar 20, 2013 at 10:57 AM Post #7 of 11
Also, not to mention there are a few mods out there for the RX700 that may appeal to enhance the SQ of the phones.

Mar 27, 2013 at 3:39 PM Post #8 of 11
Hey everyone! Just giving you guys an update about my situation. I first want to thank all of you on your input

I ended up buying 3 different types, with intentions of returning the 2 I didn't like.

I bought:

Noontech Zorro
AudioTechnica T400
Sony MDR-V6

-----------------

The Sony's are a GREAT pair of headphones.They have a great sound, and provide a quality depth. The only complaint about it was that after a few hours of use they felt heavy and my ears started to hurt and get sweaty. When needing to wear them for several hours at a time at work, that can become an issue.

The AudioTechnica were good, but their sound was not as good as what I was expecting. I owned other pairs of AudioTechnicas in the past, and I thought they were great, but it wasn't as good as the Sony's or Noontech's.

The big winner is the Noontech Zorro. I was skeptical, because I saw the review on CNET about having great sound. They were not wrong. I bought these and saw that they look and feel a lot like Beats SOLOs. They fold up the same way, and they even sound similar. The main difference is that when listening to rap or bass-heavy music it's not as "deep", but for classical, country, pop, and other it's BETTER than the Beats. I brought them to work and switched headphones with my co-worker that has the Beat Solos and he almost wanted to trade. I also noticed that they block out the sounds around me very well. They are very easy to have on your head and on the ears. They are very well made and have a solid feel to them. They are relatively a new company, and they seem good so far. I've had them for almost a week now and no regrets.

Thanks everyone for your input, and I'm glad I found this place. A ton of helpful topics and guides that have kept me busy for hours.

Mar 27, 2013 at 4:48 PM Post #9 of 11
Cnet actually got it right with headphones? That is news...
tongue.gif

Glad to hear you found something that works for you!

Mar 6, 2014 at 11:19 AM Post #10 of 11
Just wanted to give an update. It's been a year since I got these NOONTECH headphones and I can't be any happier. They sound great and they are still comfortable. They have proven to be very durable. I use them on a daily basis and I carry them around in my backpack to and from work. They stand up to the everyday wear and tear.

They have gotten a bit cheaper and I can easily say that they are the best headphones for the price. I would suggest people check them out. It's a brand not many know but it's served me well.

Mar 6, 2014 at 12:38 PM Post #11 of 11
Did you get the regular Zoro or the Zoro HD? The HD was my first 'decent' though I've moved on to better ones now, and I dislike the poor comfort of on ear HPs. I don't know how the regular Zoro sounds but from everything I've read the HD are an improvement on the regular - deeper bass, reduced that huge dip in the Freq response graph, and better isolation. Also you don't need an amp with any of the Zoro models.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back