NEW Vali Schiit AMP!!!
Nov 4, 2013 at 3:38 PM Post #631 of 4,971
Is a high noise floor (like the Vali supposedly has) a detriment to playback of videos? I use my computer a great deal for playing back MKVs and wondered if there's audible hiss during quiet scenes in movies and tv shows? This is tremendously important to me. 

I just received my T90 today and need to pair that with something cheap to tame the very slight simbilance I hear and something that will work until I can afford a much better amp like a musical fidelity m1. 

Nov 4, 2013 at 4:10 PM Post #632 of 4,971
  Is a high noise floor (like the Vali supposedly has) a detriment to playback of videos? I use my computer a great deal for playing back MKVs and wondered if there's audible hiss during quiet scenes in movies and tv shows? This is tremendously important to me. 

I just received my T90 today and need to pair that with something cheap to tame the very slight simbilance I hear and something that will work until I can afford a much better amp like a musical fidelity m1. 

Hmm I would think the 250 ohm T90+ the typical Beyer Sensitivity shouldn't pick up on too much noise... although you know the T90 are going to BUTCHER anything that's not Lossess Audio... I've not heard the T90s but even my DT 880 makes any Lossy Audio Coded MKV sound kinda bleh [and it's pretty rare that I find anything with that bad an audio track] Non the less, the T90 crazy treble response might pick up noise... only my thoughts

how ever that said I would totally love to hear a T90 +Vali anyways. I can live with a little hiss during quiet scense. As I have a fan that runs next to my 24/7 :/ so I'm used to drowning out white noise 

Nov 4, 2013 at 5:32 PM Post #633 of 4,971
Speaking of hiss...

Does anyone who's spent significant time with the Vali have any comments about how dark the background is? I may have missed it earlier in the thread.

Nov 4, 2013 at 7:58 PM Post #634 of 4,971

The Vali is a pretty honest sounding amp and unlikely to take the edge away from the T90's treble.

Nov 4, 2013 at 8:00 PM Post #635 of 4,971
Hey all,

A quick update on Vali: we should be seeing first articles from the board house this week. Assuming they're 100% (and there's no reason to think they won't be, I hand-built like a dozen prototypes of this one, since people kept asking for them), we should be seeing production next week. 

At that point, there still may be a little lag until they're on the site; we need to make sure we have enough stock to fulfill the first orders. But I expect you'll be seeing the page go up late next week or shortly afterwards.

An interesting note: we have to measure and match the tubes used in Vali, and doing so isn't as easy as you might think. Vali's tubes don't have pins. They have flying wires. Not exactly socket-friendly. So, after struggling through a few hundred tubes in-house, we ended up going to our board house and asking them what they could do. Turns out they have a new 3D printer, and they 3D-printed a funnel-style test fixture that allows them to go through 5000 tubes a day. So, 3D printing saves the day!

Thanks for your patience--we want to assure a flawless launch.

All the best,
Jason

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Nov 4, 2013 at 8:30 PM Post #638 of 4,971
Nov 5, 2013 at 7:42 AM Post #639 of 4,971
  Hey all,

A quick update on Vali: we should be seeing first articles from the board house this week. Assuming they're 100% (and there's no reason to think they won't be, I hand-built like a dozen prototypes of this one, since people kept asking for them), we should be seeing production next week. 

At that point, there still may be a little lag until they're on the site; we need to make sure we have enough stock to fulfill the first orders. But I expect you'll be seeing the page go up late next week or shortly afterwards.

An interesting note: we have to measure and match the tubes used in Vali, and doing so isn't as easy as you might think. Vali's tubes don't have pins. They have flying wires. Not exactly socket-friendly. So, after struggling through a few hundred tubes in-house, we ended up going to our board house and asking them what they could do. Turns out they have a new 3D printer, and they 3D-printed a funnel-style test fixture that allows them to go through 5000 tubes a day. So, 3D printing saves the day!

All the best,
Jason

wow that is awesome use of new technology! 

Nov 5, 2013 at 7:57 AM Post #641 of 4,971
  Please forgive my ignorance but what is a board house? Is that the entity that manufactures the circuit boards?

Don't feel bad I was wondering the same thing

Also do you guys think you could have sold the Vali at the price it was at without the 3D printer Solution, or rather could you have started production as early as you did without it? I'm just curious, been thinking about doing an ENglish Paper on 3D printings impact on the Audio Market 

Nov 5, 2013 at 8:30 AM Post #644 of 4,971
  Don't feel bad I was wondering the same thing

Also do you guys think you could have sold the Vali at the price it was at without the 3D printer Solution, or rather could you have started production as early as you did without it? I'm just curious, been thinking about doing an ENglish Paper on 3D printings impact on the Audio Market

You may want to contact Mr. Speakers as they have the first 3d printed headphone the Alpha Dog (a Fostex t50rp based can)

Nov 5, 2013 at 9:26 AM Post #645 of 4,971
  Hey all,

All the best,
Jason

Ahhhh, just as I thought, a slight case of CONSTIPATION. I have overnighted a case of Metamucil to Jason and his team to hopefully speed this process along. Just doin my part. satwilson

Users who are viewing this thread

Back