NEW Vali Schiit AMP!!!
Dec 28, 2013 at 3:16 PM Post #2,521 of 4,971
  Honestly don't think it'd be worth it. Much of the reason Vali performs as it does, is that it's been finely tuned to the specific curve, optimum linear range, optimal power requirements and I suspect components in the hybrid part of the circuit where probably chosen for their synergy with this tube. I love to 'roll' myself, but really - it should be saved for amps designed for it. 

Also there isn't too much at those heater voltages that are worth rolling! It is the ultimate non rolling amp, what you have is what you get. Rather good in my book :)

Dec 28, 2013 at 3:23 PM Post #2,522 of 4,971
  WOW
it might be total overkill - but using this MacIntosh D100 (DAC/digital pre-amp/headphone amp) that I got in for review
in front of the Vali!  LOL

Like I said, I know it's overkill - but it's really showing me the Vali's potential!
Driving my Audeze LCD-X or Alpha Dogs - the bottom end is punctuated fiercely  - the mids clean with smooth velocity,
and the highs are extended w/ magnificent sparkle.

This is an addictive combo!

I also put this small Music Hall DAC ahead of it earlier (have to look at the model number) and that match was superb.

I'm SO psyched to have a small, modern, slick affordable hybrid tube headphone amp to recommend to friends just getting
into this! Most of my prior recommendations were smaller, limited power units...

mike, you know guys like us don't do anything half-assed! 
overkill is a good thing !
yesterday, the vali was in front of the wadia 121
today, the ifi idac

Dec 28, 2013 at 5:03 PM Post #2,523 of 4,971
I got my T50rp cans last night and immediately had to give them a run on the Modi/Vali stack without modifications. Boy what a mess!! I could tell there was some potential there since the sound was definitely detailed. I could hear all the little background nuances but it honestly sounded as if I had pillows between my ears and the headphones. It wasn't even worth really evaluating them in that state. I had ordered the supplies to mod them so I somewhat skeptically set to work last evening. It took about two hours to complete the DBV #3 mods. When I plugged them back in and ran my test tracks my jaw hit the floor. I couldn't believe how much the sound changed. All the details were brought back in line. I wont go into much about the T50rp set since that would be more of a review about the cans and not the Vali. I will say however they pair REALLY well in my opinion. They are a bit more sensitive than my HE-300's but that was not an issue. In fact I can't really hear any sound floor at all. It's a bit odd since they are 50 Ohm's just like the HE-300's but are a bit more sensitive. I think it's due to the signature of the t50rp's. Anyway I can confirm (at least to my ears) that they work like a charm on the Vali and I'm one extremely happy camper.

Dec 28, 2013 at 9:17 PM Post #2,524 of 4,971
  I got my T50rp cans last night and immediately had to give them a run on the Modi/Vali stack without modifications. Boy what a mess!! I could tell there was some potential there since the sound was definitely detailed. I could hear all the little background nuances but it honestly sounded as if I had pillows between my ears and the headphones. It wasn't even worth really evaluating them in that state. I had ordered the supplies to mod them so I somewhat skeptically set to work last evening. It took about two hours to complete the DBV #3 mods. When I plugged them back in and ran my test tracks my jaw hit the floor. I couldn't believe how much the sound changed. All the details were brought back in line. I wont go into much about the T50rp set since that would be more of a review about the cans and not the Vali. I will say however they pair REALLY well in my opinion. They are a bit more sensitive than my HE-300's but that was not an issue. In fact I can't really hear any sound floor at all. It's a bit odd since they are 50 Ohm's just like the HE-300's but are a bit more sensitive. I think it's due to the signature of the t50rp's. Anyway I can confirm (at least to my ears) that they work like a charm on the Vali and I'm one extremely happy camper.

Nice, good to hear the modded T50Rp works with the vali! 

Dec 28, 2013 at 11:19 PM Post #2,525 of 4,971
I have just discovered an unusual combination of headphone with the modi/vali combo. I am listening to this combo with my Pioneer SE-A1000 cans and it sounds GREAT! I am quite surprised as these cans are not very expensive and I use them to watch tv when my wife is sleeping as they have a super long lead. Anyway, they are a very good combo IMO and it just goes to show that synergy between gear often overcomes a modest budget. Just wanted to share this info for those with limited budgets. These cans are a GREAT buy and certainly punch above their weight. Best wishes for the New Year from "Down Under". 

Dec 28, 2013 at 11:23 PM Post #2,528 of 4,971
I have connected it to BiFrost Uber and Concero HD, both sounded superb with zero complaints.
Daily use I leave Vali connected to Uber with my HD600.

Dec 28, 2013 at 11:36 PM Post #2,529 of 4,971
  Who's game for taking this amp and converting the tube pins over to the 5-pin sockets for installing the stacks for tube rolling?  In theory, I'm assuming this is possible.  Also, it obviously should address the microphonics issues.  Though, I'm not to sure how the current sound could be FUBARd.  Too many irons in the fire for me to consider this at the moment.  Then again, if this were to happen maybe we could then give it cute name like the Lil' Lyr.
tongue.gif

+1

This thought has crossed (what's left of) my mind more than once. Adding sockets would be very possible, of that I am sure. There is not much room on that PCB though - it looks pretty crowded already, from the picture on the Schiit website. There may be some room underneath where the glass is currently laying down, but I'd have to get a visual on the underside of the board to be sure. Personally, it would look way better to me with sockets mounted to the top of the chassis, so the whole schebang is on top for easy access.

What I don't know and haven't researched, are what kind of direct substitutes there are for the stock tubes ... and if there are any vintage tubes of this size.

First, I want to mod one of my Bravo V2's to have it handy for comparison. The parts just arrived yesterday. Don't ask me why I keep chasing down that rabbit hole. lol.
rolleyes.gif
I'm just stubborn, adventurous, or dumb. Take your pick.

My train of thought also wondered if the Vali could be converted to use a dual triode tube, a la 12AU7's. I have a whole bunch of those laying around
wink_face.gif
But that would be a lot of guesswork on my part. I'm not an EE after all, I'm just brave with a soldering iron hah. But something in me wants to know what a Vali would sound like with a 50's vintage d-getter Mullard driving it.

Dec 28, 2013 at 11:45 PM Post #2,530 of 4,971

Thanks. PYST RCA or PYST XLR? Is there a quality difference between these and something much cheaper from Amazon?

The "cheap" cables from amazon are only a few dollars cheaper. The Schiit cables are already cheap lol. If you want to compare with expensive cables, check out the blue jeans cables.

Dec 29, 2013 at 12:01 AM Post #2,531 of 4,971

+1

This thought has crossed (what's left of) my mind more than once. Adding sockets would be very possible, of that I am sure. There is not much room on that PCB though - it looks pretty crowded already, from the picture on the Schiit website. There may be some room underneath where the glass is currently laying down, but I'd have to get a visual on the underside of the board to be sure. Personally, it would look way better to me with sockets mounted to the top of the chassis, so the whole schebang is on top for easy access.

What I don't know and haven't researched, are what kind of direct substitutes there are for the stock tubes ... and if there are any vintage tubes of this size.

First, I want to mod one of my Bravo V2's to have it handy for comparison. The parts just arrived yesterday. Don't ask me why I keep chasing down that rabbit hole. lol.
rolleyes.gif
I'm just stubborn, adventurous, or dumb. Take your pick.

My train of thought also wondered if the Vali could be converted to use a dual triode tube, a la 12AU7's. I have a whole bunch of those laying around
wink_face.gif
But that would be a lot of guesswork on my part. I'm not an EE after all, I'm just brave with a soldering iron hah. But something in me wants to know what a Vali would sound like with a 50's vintage d-getter Mullard driving it.

you will need to build a new power supply for the heaters, the 6088 needs a 'battery' supply of 1.2v and the sort of tubes you are talking about are 6.3 / 12.6v and need vastly different currents. You will need a new high voltage supply to operate these 9 pin tubes as the voltage and bias aren't close for your tube. You will need to add some physical sockets also from the 5 pins the 6088 uses to a nine pin socket for the tube you suggest. You are basically talking a new amp  but if you are going down that route try one of these for a starters.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/190889436014?ssPageName=STRK:MESINDXX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1436.l2649

it will allow you to mount a socket of your choice and run the flying leads to the Vali and other leads from your separate PSUs. and I thought the LD DIYs had gone weird in their mods :) at least their amp was designed to roll even if some of the tubes rolled now need serious adapters / PSUs / DIY.

Dec 29, 2013 at 12:50 AM Post #2,533 of 4,971

you will need to build a new power supply for the heaters, the 6088 needs a 'battery' supply of 1.2v and the sort of tubes you are talking about are 6.3 / 12.6v and need vastly different currents. You will need a new high voltage supply to operate these 9 pin tubes as the voltage and bias aren't close for your tube. You will need to add some physical sockets also from the 5 pins the 6088 uses to a nine pin socket for the tube you suggest. You are basically talking a new amp  but if you are going down that route try one of these for a starters.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/190889436014?ssPageName=STRK:MESINDXX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1436.l2649

it will allow you to mount a socket of your choice and run the flying leads to the Vali and other leads from your separate PSUs. and I thought the LD DIYs had gone weird in their mods :) at least their amp was designed to roll even if some of the tubes rolled now need serious adapters / PSUs / DIY.

In the LD tube rolling thread we've been messing around with external power  supplies to run 6V/12V dual triodes, octals and the such. I actually completed my secondary PSU today...

http://www.head-fi.org/t/563884/little-dot-tube-amps-vacuum-tube-rolling-guide/4365#post_10071424

something like that could work. I did similar BUT I put it in an aluminum enclosure that sits over the old sockets for a much cleaner look.    

Us LD rollers have lost our minds lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back