NEW Vali Schiit AMP!!!
Jan 5, 2014 at 12:58 PM Post #2,701 of 4,971
  (an attempt at lightening things up...)

How's this sound on that Vali?

wonderful thank you :3

seriously, guys new topic please or make a thread for trouble shooting the noise. 

Jan 5, 2014 at 3:07 PM Post #2,702 of 4,971
But his dismissal of my comments because of his assumption that I had less experience on HiFi than him was ok? I expressed my opinion is a respectful manner and had it intimated that I didn't have any idea what I was talking about. I have been tied to the HiFi industry in one way or another since 1990. I'm no newbie without a clue.

But it's Ok. Feel free to defend the guy who is making assumptions and gripe at the guys who actually have the device in question. That's your right.

I'm going to go back to enjoying done music through my Vali.

I didn't really read back into that context much; I had skipped over a couple pages leading up to this. I apologize if I missed his own rudeness.

Jan 5, 2014 at 3:18 PM Post #2,703 of 4,971
I didn't really read back into that context much; I had skipped over a couple pages leading up to this. I apologize if I missed his own rudeness.

I'm not sure it was rude, the comments, were more condescending, "audiophile" Attitude kind if thing,
Now getting back to the vali, it is sound killer with the gs1000i, the lcd2, and even the hifiman he-5le , which needs a good bit of power

Jan 5, 2014 at 3:31 PM Post #2,704 of 4,971
I'm not sure it was rude, the comments, were more condescending, "audiophile" Attitude kind if thing,
Now getting back to the vali, it is sound killer with the gs1000i, the lcd2, and even the hifiman he-5le , which needs a good bit of power

I wasn't aware you had a GS1000i. There's not very many of those out there. I've always preferred the PS1000, but what about the combo with the GS1000i makes you like them?

Jan 5, 2014 at 4:04 PM Post #2,705 of 4,971
  I wasn't aware you had a GS1000i. There's not very many of those out there. I've always preferred the PS1000, but what about the combo with the GS1000i makes you like them?

yeah, they were delivered friday, got them from another head-fi'er
i had just been hearing how you didn't hear much about them , compared to the rest of the grado family
i started researching them, reading what i could find, so i was curious, and focker said he was going to get rid of
his, so i took them of his hands.
the soundstage is bigger than the other grado's i've heard, the bass has more presence , without being overbearing
it reminds me of the ps500, but maybe more balanced, and more revealing of details, i haven't spent a whole lot of time with them yet, so still
getting a handle on them.

Jan 6, 2014 at 12:44 AM Post #2,706 of 4,971

yeah, they were delivered friday, got them from another head-fi'er
i had just been hearing how you didn't hear much about them , compared to the rest of the grado family
i started researching them, reading what i could find, so i was curious, and focker said he was going to get rid of
his, so i took them of his hands.
the soundstage is bigger than the other grado's i've heard, the bass has more presence , without being overbearing
it reminds me of the ps500, but maybe more balanced, and more revealing of details, i haven't spent a whole lot of time with them yet, so still
getting a handle on them.

I love them and hate them at the same time. I think they are too revealing (if possible), even more so to my ears then the HD800.  I am surprised how much I also enjoy them with a tube amp, other Grados I have owned/tried I like SS with them.

So you say the Vali has good synergy with them?

Jan 6, 2014 at 6:35 AM Post #2,707 of 4,971

I love them and hate them at the same time. I think they are too revealing (if possible), even more so to my ears then the HD800.  I am surprised how much I also enjoy them with a tube amp, other Grados I have owned/tried I like SS with them.

So you say the Vali has good synergy with them?

other than them being ,other than them picking up more of the tubes microphonics, the gs1000i sounds great with the vali

Jan 6, 2014 at 8:43 AM Post #2,708 of 4,971

other than them being ,other than them picking up more of the tubes microphonics, the gs1000i sounds great with the vali

yea, my w1000x is kinda sensitive, the more I listen the more I start to hear the slight bit of tube noise [hum] and ofc the mircophonics but again nothing I consider a deal breaker 

Jan 6, 2014 at 2:19 PM Post #2,709 of 4,971
Jan 6, 2014 at 3:25 PM Post #2,710 of 4,971
Is there a newer version that doesnt have the ringing? I would like to try this amp but that ringing sound might annoy me! I change the volume pretty often.

Jan 6, 2014 at 3:37 PM Post #2,711 of 4,971
Is there a newer version that doesnt have the ringing? I would like to try this amp but that ringing sound might annoy me! I change the volume pretty often.

It's not as annoying and finnicky as ppl say it is, I've got an w1000x that is very sensitive and I don't get rining unless I'm pluggin my headphones into the amp 

Jan 6, 2014 at 3:40 PM Post #2,712 of 4,971
Yes. Chances you'll get an annoying ringing unit are pretty slim in the latest production unit. Schiit is pre-bending tube wires now which seems to have minimized the real serious ringers. 30 day return so have at it!

Jan 6, 2014 at 3:42 PM Post #2,713 of 4,971
It's not as annoying and finnicky as ppl say it is, I've got an w1000x that is very sensitive and I don't get rining unless I'm pluggin my headphones into the amp 

Yes. Chances you'll get an annoying ringing unit are pretty slim in the latest production unit. Schiit is pre-bending tube wires now which seems to have minimized the real serious ringers. 30 day return so have at it!

Thanks for the info. Now to do more research how well it pairs with the Fidelio X1 before I pull the trigger.

Jan 6, 2014 at 4:03 PM Post #2,714 of 4,971

If you gently grasp the volume control, turn it, then let go of it gently, you'll only hear a very brief ringing, if any.

It's not so bad. 

I'm finding that my Vali is sounding better and better as it burns in.  I want to avoid getting an amp that allows tube rolling, so I'd been thinking about getting a Violectric V800, as they are said to be a good match with the HD800, but I'm enjoying the Vali so much, I might just deprive myself of spending money on a "better" amp.  

The Vali is amazing with the HD800 - nothing else solid state in my modest inventory tames the HD800's harsh treble so well, while elevating the bass a tad - all with just a wee bit of detail smoothing - a good thing with the HD800.  

Mike

(WAV from SD cards > Foobar 2000 with WASAPI event > Windows 7 > Moon-Audio Blue Dragon USB cable > Resonessence Concero > AntiCables Level 1 RCA interconnects > Schiit Vali > Sennheiser HD800)

Jan 6, 2014 at 4:51 PM Post #2,715 of 4,971
My Vali is arriving on Wednesday. Im rather excited. 

Will be running:

(mac) Itunes>>Audioengine D1>>Vali>> Senn HD 650.

I will most probably sell my D1 as it is relatively new (under two months) and go for a dedicated amp. Currently I could go for a Cambridge Audio DacMAgic 100...

Anyone have any experience/thoughts on the set up? 

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back