NEW Vali Schiit AMP!!!
Dec 9, 2013 at 5:01 PM Post #2,146 of 4,971
Might be true, though it was an 800 and Sonett weekend.  Buzzy transformer on the Mjolnir... 
get some power conditioning for it.

Dec 9, 2013 at 5:11 PM Post #2,148 of 4,971
Yes! As long as you're not a Treble Monstrosity, all is good!

Say, you aren't related to Count Chocula or Frankenberry, are you?

Well, Elizabeth Bathory and Vlad the Impaler were both from former Hungarian regions so... 
biggrin.gif

And why have only those two?  Mix ALL the Halloween cereals!

Dec 9, 2013 at 8:22 PM Post #2,151 of 4,971
  Is there any problem with using a DAC with only a 3.5 mm out with the Vali?  I have the cable I would need, but I am wondering if there would somehow be a lower sound quality than using a comparable DAC with RCA output.

No.

Dec 9, 2013 at 9:12 PM Post #2,152 of 4,971
FYI, I just received a 75ohm adapter that is meant for Etymotic ER4P's to make it into an ER4S, but it also works great for using IEM/CIEM's with the Vali.

Here's the item I purchased from EBay, but there are lots of them if you search for Etymotic ER4P adapter:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/281188408675

I ordered it on 12/3 and it arrived from Hong Kong in today's mail.

I have only had it for a few minutes, but it definitely makes my Noble 6 IEM's useable with the Vali. Previously at around 30 Ohms, the Noble 6's were way too noisy with the Vali. Now with this 75 Ohm adapter, I can have my AK120 at full volume (75.0) and the Vali volume set to about 9 o'clock for good listening levels. But the  best thing is that there is absolutely no hiss/noise. I will try some other CIEM's, but I assume this adapter will work also.

I briefly compared the adapter to my Nano Patch + which also works to tame the hiss. I can't say for sure, but I think the sound is better using just this adapter instead of a pot on the Nano, as you would imagine given that the sound is going through a resistor vs. a potentiometer.

The adapter itself doesn't seem to change the sound, but it's hard to compare with all the hiss without the adapter.

Anyway, for the $13, it was worth it. Someone else was getting a cheaper adapter that was shipped from the US. I wonder how that worked out?
http://www.head-fi.org/t/685162/new-vali-schiit-amp/1575#post_10033855

-Darin

Dec 9, 2013 at 9:24 PM Post #2,153 of 4,971
Ok, I have a question for you guys.

I just sold my HiFiMAN EF2A because I've been so happy with the Schiit Magni/Modi combo. It just seemed to be a far superior combo from what the EF2A could provide.

Now, that doesn't mean I didn't enjoy it (and perhaps miss it a little) but now that the Vali has come out I find myself excited about tubes again. What I didn't like about the EF2A was the limiting 16/44.1 support, channel imbalance, and slightly closed sound-stage. And that's where the Magni/Modi excels for me.

I watch lots of movies, play lots of games and listen to lots of music. Would the Vali excel anywhere where the Magni could not?

Any feedback is appreciated :)

Dec 9, 2013 at 9:49 PM Post #2,154 of 4,971
  Ok, I have a question for you guys.

I just sold my HiFiMAN EF2A because I've been so happy with the Schiit Magni/Modi combo. It just seemed to be a far superior combo from what the EF2A could provide.

Now, that doesn't mean I didn't enjoy it (and perhaps miss it a little) but now that the Vali has come out I find myself excited about tubes again. What I didn't like about the EF2A was the limiting 16/44.1 support, channel imbalance, and slightly closed sound-stage. And that's where the Magni/Modi excels for me.

I watch lots of movies, play lots of games and listen to lots of music. Would the Vali excel anywhere where the Magni could not?

Any feedback is appreciated :)

Yes, it's a bit fuller in the mids, less thin/metallic sounding and has smoother (but no lack of) treble.
The Magni has better controlled bass in my experience and the soundstage isn't as closed in.

I would say that if you're using the Vali with a headphone it plays very well with than it's slightly more neutral than the Magni (to me).

My Magni was fairly neutral, but sort of bright sounding. Nothing too bad but I wouldn't pair it with a DT-990, SR-325 or similar. It's OK with a Q701.

VALI IMO is a side-grade. Not as good as an "all-rounder" IMO. Not a big deal if you don't plan on having more than a few headphones.

Dec 9, 2013 at 9:58 PM Post #2,155 of 4,971
man, this little amp has got some juice !!

it sounds really good driving my lcd2.2

Dec 9, 2013 at 11:27 PM Post #2,156 of 4,971

Yes, it's a bit fuller in the mids, less thin/metallic sounding and has smoother (but no lack of) treble.
The Magni has better controlled bass in my experience and the soundstage isn't as closed in.

I would say that if you're using the Vali with a headphone it plays very well with than it's slightly more neutral than the Magni (to me).

My Magni was fairly neutral, but sort of bright sounding. Nothing too bad but I wouldn't pair it with a DT-990, SR-325 or similar. It's OK with a Q701.

VALI IMO is a side-grade. Not as good as an "all-rounder" IMO. Not a big deal if you don't plan on having more than a few headphones.

Thank you for that detailed explanation! I didn't really think it was going to take much to push me to get it because it's so affordable and I'm quickly becoming a Schiit-head. In fact, I already am a Schiit-head. The only headphones I own at the moment are the Shure SRH-840's and the Sennheiser HD600's. I've found the Magni/Modi runs them both beautifully, so now I look forward to my Vali experience.

Like you said, I don't plan on owning more than a few headphones. My 3rd and final pair will probably be the HE-400/500's because I gotta at least jump on the Ortho bandwagon :)

Thanks again for the info!

Dec 10, 2013 at 1:10 AM Post #2,157 of 4,971
  I MIGHT invent in some FANCY calbe one day, but as for right now, Mono Price is super thick, super well built and cheap as dirt so I enjoy em. I use em for evetything atm! ANd I've used a lot of cable through the years, non of my Mono Prices have failed me thus far! 

Absolutely nothing wrong with Mono Price cables.  You are always going to be better off buying better hardware (DAC, Amp, Headphones) than cables.  Unless you have an uber $5k+ setup I would save that money and put it into the rest of your rig.  I know lots of people with many thousand dollar systems that use Mono Price cables.

Monoprice is fantastic for how little you have to pay. Blue Jeans cable offer a nice step up from Monoprice...noticeably more pricey, but I'm sure you've seen pricier. It's great stuff without the ridiculous pricing. I did not have a Monoprice cable to compare, but against a generic RCA cable, I measured a -6dB reduction in 60Hz noise and distortion moving to the BJ RCA cable. Very thick, presumably good shielding, solid. Better than anything I've gotten from Monoprice in terms of overall quality (likely little to no sound difference except maybe in particular situations or in electrically noisy environments like my own), but I also paid a good bit more...something like $30 for a 6' cable vs just a few bucks from Monoprice. But I have to say I was very impressed once I got the BJ cable in my hands. Obviously, I listen to cables with my hands.

Dec 10, 2013 at 1:26 AM Post #2,158 of 4,971

Monoprice is fantastic for how little you have to pay. Blue Jeans cable offer a nice step up from Monoprice...noticeably more pricey, but I'm sure you've seen pricier. It's great stuff without the ridiculous pricing. I did not have a Monoprice cable to compare, but against a generic RCA cable, I measured a -6dB reduction in 60Hz noise and distortion moving to the BJ RCA cable. Very thick, presumably good shielding, solid. Better than anything I've gotten from Monoprice in terms of overall quality (likely little to no sound difference except maybe in particular situations or in electrically noisy environments like my own), but I also paid a good bit more...something like $30 for a 6' cable vs just a few bucks from Monoprice. But I have to say I was very impressed once I got the BJ cable in my hands. Obviously, I listen to cables with my hands.

Sorry for the off-topic post, but BJC also uses Belden Wire too I believe and it's made in the USA. I actually find it better than Mogami. IMO Mogami W2893 has the best shielding and it's dirt cheap.

I know the thickness of the copper doesn't always matter, but the Monoprice stuff is thread-like thin inside. It's like 99% all plastic. It has good shielding though but doesn't even look like copper wiring!

I actually think the Wal-Mart RCA/GE brand crap is just as good.

Right now I use a DIY Double Helix (DHC) interconnect cable I made from scraps I stole from a friend.

Redco is a bit cheaper than BJC and another good option.

Dec 10, 2013 at 6:57 AM Post #2,159 of 4,971

Other good news is that I am purposefully typing on a glass desk right next to the Vali with just the rubber feet.  <Slight> ringing if I hit very hard but not even noticeable with music on.  Turning volume still causes some slight ringing.  Much better now, good times...

Here is after re-affixing it to the foam pads:

Two words: Rubber Grommets.

Dec 10, 2013 at 7:04 AM Post #2,160 of 4,971
  I can see a toob in a state of arousal through the peep-holes. Not fully erect, but certainly at attention. No squeals when bumped hard. Just a brief, barely audible moan when the knob is turned. No need to screw for now.

eek.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back