1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

NEW Vali Schiit AMP!!!

Discussion in 'Headphone Amps (full-size)' started by lff, Oct 9, 2013.
First

Back
135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144
146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155
Next

Last
  1. AHorseNamedJeff
    Am I missing something?? Using balanced phones on a single ended amp plugged into a balanced DAC?? Does that even work?

2. thegunner100

The nfb-10es2 has RCA outs for single ended amps, and then use a XLR -> 1/4 adapter and then everything is single ended. 4pin XLR -> 1/4 adapters are bulky though :frowning2:

3. hekeli
    Ah great, I'm trying to fix the tubes but seems both screws in the front are borked - they just spin freely. [​IMG] So much for opening it..

edit: Now that I put one of the back screws back, it also borked... and I used extremely little force. So uh yeah be careful.

edit2: Pryed the lid/screws open with good force, not going to waste my time shipping overseas..

JoeKickass likes this.
  4. SMG52
    Thanks Darin. I just ordered one. I have a Vali arriving tomorrow to check out with my LCD-X headphones, rated at 22ohms and 96 db/mW efficient. Not sure I would have a background hiss issue, but even if there were a little hiss, I would be somewhat annoyed. For $13 delivered, it will be worth having on hand.

5. imackler
    Jason Stoddard, 

Is there a number or name of the screwdriver we should be using if we need to open our Vali to resettle the tubes? I looked through the vent with a light and it looks like mine is at an angle, too. I tried a couple screwdrivers but neither worked...

Thanks! 

6. hekeli

25+ multibit screwdriver sets cost like what, $5-10 ? Everyone should have a set at home. :) There will be a matching bit.

7. FraGGleR
    I just used a small philips head screwdriver bit on a multibit handle I got from Walmart for a few dollars.  Unfortunately, it isn't labeled so I don't have an exact size for you.  It seems to be similar in size to alot of screws used in computers.  I also had no issue getting the cover back on and tightening the screws back down.  Is your problem that they won't untighten or that your screwdrivers don't fit into the head of the screws?

8. JoeKickass

LOL that's the spirit!

I too noticed the screws are just turned straight into the sheet metal, Schiit could have stripped the holes themselves it probably wasn't even your fault!

But if you want your Vali to sound it's best, naturally you'll want to upgrade to the exotic wood screws?
    070403-screw3.jpg

rotfl.gif.pagespeed.ce.SQMhi_5YZC.gif

9. K.T.

Is this like the airplane attenuator that is shipped with the UE900? It does modify the sound. But I'm not sure if it's the same thing or not.

I prefer the UE900 with the adapter. There seems to be more punch and control in the sound. But that was straight out of my FiiO X3, not the Vali. So I am a bit OT, here.

10. Mshenay Contributor
    yup, it has a SE RCA out, and I have an adapter. I used the adapter for about 2 weeks when I first got my DT 880, since I only had the M Stage at that point 
    USPS has reported that the amp has departed the Shipping Facility... and that was on the 9'th! Hoping it'll be here friday

11. Transformatron

Did you do standard shipping? I picked the USPS 2-day, and mine shipped the 9th also. I hope it's here tomorrow.

12. hans030390
    Turns out my tubes were indeed getting a bit of a chub, but not fully erect. One of my screws was stuck in place no matter how much I turned it, much like another member experienced. I somehow got the top off anyway, stripped out the screw, bent the metal top back in shape (the corner got quite bent when removing the top, you know, since there was a screw holding it there and I had to pry it off...), and pushed the tubes down. I doubt that will leave my warranty intact, but I really didn't feel like going through some sort of return process. Didn't get a chance to see if it made any difference with ringing, BTW.

13. Mshenay Contributor
    I only had a USPS 3day option, I live on the eastern sea board q.q so like 1000 miles away. THey had 2 day FedEx but I'm not a fan of Fed Ex

14. UmustBKidn

^ This

JoeKickass likes this.
  15. FraGGleR
    I know you guys are being facetious, but that just got me thinking about using the silicone screw/decouplers that silent pc makes use to hold fans on cases to attach the top.  

I am pretty much set on keeping the Vali, so I think I might go full tilt and void my warranty by modding the case to see if I can't get the ringing to go away.

Maybe some dynamat extreme on parts of the case.  Strategic Sugru placement.  Silicone caulk on the tubes themselves.

JoeKickass likes this.
First

Back
135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144
146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155
Next

Last