NEW Vali Schiit AMP!!!
Dec 6, 2013 at 6:57 AM Post #1,876 of 4,971
"Having children really inhibits my ability to spend as much money as I want to, on audio gear."  +  "Office jobs are awesome"  =  "I put a couple of Post-it notes over the top of mine".  
o2smile.gif

Dec 6, 2013 at 8:34 AM Post #1,878 of 4,971
I'm making up a Christmas wish list and some Schiit is on it!  (Not a lot of Schiit, my budget is limited to < $300.)  The Modi is firmly on the list, but which amp is best for my needs, the Magni or Vali?  My cans: UE TF-10s and Grado SR-80s.  The TF10s are mostly used for travel but I will definitely want to use both with whichever amp gets chosen.

I'm a big fan of the tube sound (or the tube sound I remember from the old-school tubes amps of my youth) and the reports about the Vali's detail intrigue me.  However, Schiit says the Vali isn't particularly well suited for IEMs and low-impedance cans like the SR-80s so also noted as a not-particularly good match for the Vali.  

I've searched around and can't find any feedback on the Vali-TF10 or Vali-SR80 combos -- anyone have any thoughts/experience with these?  Or should I just get the Magni and be happy?  Thanks in advance!

Dec 6, 2013 at 8:46 AM Post #1,879 of 4,971
That white power indicator light on front is way too dang bright! What I mean to say is that, it is WAAAAAY too dang bright!

If it were up to me, I'd say the little orange biasing LEDs inside the amp are enough to let me know that the amp is on.

This is electronics in general now. Annoying LEDs on everything. I have a Samsung tv that has a red LED lit up when the tv is OFF. Please tell me who designed that so I can strangle them in their sleep. 

Dec 6, 2013 at 9:01 AM Post #1,880 of 4,971

So here's my one big gripe with the Vali. With the Magni, too, for that matter.

That white power indicator light on front is way too dang bright! What I mean to say is that, it is WAAAAAY too dang bright!

+1. Don't understand why mfgs love to put  extremely bright LEDs on desktop gear, or for home theater or audio gear. A major annoyance in a dark or semi dark room, imho. Probably looks good in a well lit show room I guess.

Quote:

Here is an idea, and something I use to cover bright LED's. Use Color Gels that they use for stage lighting etc...

Trust me before I added that color gel film that LED light on the Antec Veris was blinding! The Gel not only changed the color, but also dimmed it while still making it very easy to read. It's a very inexpensive option to try. You can find them at multiple stores, just do a search for Color Gels. Here is one link for you http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio/american-dj-cgs-8a-8x8-gel-sheet-packet-a

Excellent idea. Going to go order some of those this weekend. Got some other gear that w/ LEDs that need to be toned (way) down. Thanks for the idea.

Dec 6, 2013 at 9:04 AM Post #1,881 of 4,971
If it doesn't break warranty, I'd like to put some black marker over my LED. I think I'll PM Schiit about it... :D

Dec 6, 2013 at 9:14 AM Post #1,882 of 4,971
With regard to those annoying led lights, "I feel your pain". This is what I use to cover all of those obnoxious lights on my equipment. I use just a tad, no more than 1/4 a finger nails worth. You can also find it in a gray color. Should be really easy to find. You can use just enough so that you can still see that the light is on. Totally removeable....would not void any warranty!

http://www.amazon.com/Elmers-Poster-Reusable-Adhesive-E1531/dp/B000BKQDB4

Dec 6, 2013 at 9:15 AM Post #1,883 of 4,971

Personally? I love my Magni. It is a rock solid amp. It drives darn near anything. It has zero microphonics. Yes, it's true, I have a limited selection of amps, so I'm a little biased. But I would not trade my Magni for a Vali.

Would I also get a Vali? I'm personally waiting until Mshenay gets one, and can tell me if it's better than a Bravo, lol. Then I might get one.

It's way better than than the modded Bravo I had.  Much better ability to resolve detail and handle dynamics.  A lot more refinement.  I think I saw that some prefer it to one of the Project amps which is basically an uber version of the Bravo.

Dec 6, 2013 at 9:23 AM Post #1,885 of 4,971

This is electronics in general now. Annoying LEDs on everything. I have a Samsung tv that has a red LED lit up when the tv is OFF. Please tell me who designed that so I can strangle them in their sleep. 

My Vizio TV has a light that is set, by default, to flash whenever change in power state occurs - it's never persistently on by default. You can change that so that it's (dimly) on when the power is on, but the default is 'blink to say we're turning on or off.' Doesn't get much better than that!

For a while, when the blindingly bright blue LEDs were new (and pricy), I think there was this push to use them and stand out, look modern (we're not using those old dim red LEDs like [competitor]!), look high-end... I had hopes that the trend would die down, but alas... I miss those warm, subtle, red LEDs! That said, I've seen far worse offenders than the Schiit gear. 

Dec 6, 2013 at 9:55 AM Post #1,886 of 4,971

/jealous

Having children really inhibits my ability to spend as much money as I want to, on audio gear. My kids keep wanting to eat. Or wear clothes. Sheesh.

Office jobs are awesome. I highly recommend them. This is why I own 2 Bravo's lol.

And yes, even though I know it will never happen, I do still wish Schiit made a DAC for ipods.

Well... I ust TOTALED my car, and the insurance check was more than what I paid for the car SO... thank you rainy day and crappy brakes? Either way, It's paid for as of today. HOPING to get it by like... I dunno next week? Maybe around the same time my D2k finally get's here :/

Dec 6, 2013 at 10:41 AM Post #1,888 of 4,971
  I'm making up a Christmas wish list and some Schiit is on it!  (Not a lot of Schiit, my budget is limited to < $300.)  The Modi is firmly on the list, but which amp is best for my needs, the Magni or Vali?  My cans: UE TF-10s and Grado SR-80s.  The TF10s are mostly used for travel but I will definitely want to use both with whichever amp gets chosen.

I'm a big fan of the tube sound (or the tube sound I remember from the old-school tubes amps of my youth) and the reports about the Vali's detail intrigue me.  However, Schiit says the Vali isn't particularly well suited for IEMs and low-impedance cans like the SR-80s so also noted as a not-particularly good match for the Vali.  

I've searched around and can't find any feedback on the Vali-TF10 or Vali-SR80 combos -- anyone have any thoughts/experience with these?  Or should I just get the Magni and be happy?  Thanks in advance!

I will try the Vali with my Grado RS-1 and shure IEMs (the old ones I don't remember what they are called) when I get home tonight.  I don't particularly like either of them but it should give you an idea of whether your headphones will work with the Vali.

Dec 6, 2013 at 11:33 AM Post #1,890 of 4,971
I know this is a long shot but I would love to know how the vali stacks up against the Asgard 2 or matrix m-stage. Those are the amps on my short list to go with my he-300's and hopefully t50rp's (which I want to mod) depending on how much I can scrounge up for Christmas.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back