NEW Vali Schiit AMP!!!
Dec 6, 2013 at 4:16 AM Post #1,861 of 4,971
  Ok, the Vali driven HD650 is rad. I may just prefer it over the balanced output from the Mjolnir. Holy-schiit-balls!

That's good to hear. Now you should go do Schiit and everyone else a favor and post a review in the next few weeks. I would suggest adding "Holy-Schiit-Balls" as the review title.
I think there's a few people that actually read those.

Everyone loves the Vali, but only one review. What the heck guys..
I guess it's only been out a week or so.

I noticed that according to reviews the Valhalla is their highest rated amp.

Dec 6, 2013 at 4:45 AM Post #1,862 of 4,971
Maybe they are busy listening and not analyzing. :)

Dec 6, 2013 at 4:57 AM Post #1,863 of 4,971
I can't add much to what's already been stated about the Vali. I concur with the other impressions. The Vali allows you to hear the quality of upstream components and files. It stands up admirably to the HD800 scrutiny. In fact it makes sweet freakin' music with the HD800. That's all that needs to be said really. It's not the be all (bass is a tad loose compared to the MJ)... but come on, it's a $119 amp! Amazing value.

Good job Jason and co!

Dec 6, 2013 at 4:58 AM Post #1,864 of 4,971
Maybe they are busy listening and not analyzing.
smily_headphones1.gif

Haha, I stopped doing that years ago but I often have to remind myself to not do this!

I have two amps coming in this weekend and I will try my best to listen to my music and not the equipment
normal_smile .gif

I bet I will love the iFi iCAN..or not. I do hate the name though...about as bad as "Total Airhead".
Not going to review them. You can thank me later!

Dec 6, 2013 at 5:02 AM Post #1,865 of 4,971
  No disrespect to your comment laserfj, as I try to respect others opinions with an open-mind. But in my "opinion" the term "wetness" that purrin used is a good way of describing the sound.

popcorn.gif

Dec 6, 2013 at 5:08 AM Post #1,866 of 4,971
  I can't add much to what's already been stated about the Vali. I concur with the other impressions. The Vali allows you to hear the quality of upstream components and files. It stands up admirably to the HD800 scrutiny. In fact it makes sweet freakin' music with the HD800. That's all that needs to be said really. It's not the be all (bass is a tad loose compared to the MJ)... but come on, it's a $119 amp! Amazing value.

Good job Jason and co!

I've had mine for a week now. I haven't really said a whole lot about mine, but for whatever reason, it just has really fit in well. I think that bit of bass flow makes the Vali a really great match for my Q701. Acoustic instruments really hit a sweet spot with that combination. 

Dec 6, 2013 at 5:10 AM Post #1,867 of 4,971
  I used to do the reinstall Windows once-a-year-or-so thing as well, now I tend to reboot my Mac about as often 
wink.gif
 I was seriously bummed recently, the last time I checked my uptime I was up around 500 days... then last week a major power outage drained my UPS... sigh.

I would second (third?) the recommendation to OP though on a fresh install... Windows does seem to have little glitchy moments where starting anew really is the best bet. And there's nothing particularly odd or proprietary about how Modi handles the connection, it truly should be plug-and-play. 

I assume you've tried all the ports on your machine? Some put out less power than others, an irritating reality for a connection that should be standardized to prevent that... Also why the recommendation of a powered hub was given, which is worth a shot...

Mac? Their OS went in the trash. It's now a *nix clone.

I remember a Solaris ad from somewhere around 1997, that had one of those comparisons with Windows in it. It went something like this:

- Fred has rebooted his PC 3 times today.
- Joe hasn't rebooted his Solaris machine since 1992.

(I remember the date because it was around the time I'd started a job). Honestly, Solaris ruled the Internet for a long while. Still does in places. Linux has taken over; Open Solaris was too little, too late. I really felt sorry for them. The only reason it still exists is because Oracle needs it. When Oracle finally gives in to Linux, it will be gone.

These days, the most elegant solution (regardless of OS) is to virtualize. When things go wrong, you delete the faulty copy and download a fresh VM.

The interested student can visit VirtualBox.

Dec 6, 2013 at 5:15 AM Post #1,868 of 4,971
Originally Posted by Mshenay /img/forum/go_quote.gif

That said I'm hoping to get a Vali... soon :3

I think it will mach nicely with my W1000x and NESB10ES2 Dac! 

Bro, when you do get one, I REALLY want to hear about how it stacks up with a Bravo or Indeed amp. PM me if you don't want to post it.

Please?
rolleyes.gif

Dec 6, 2013 at 5:22 AM Post #1,869 of 4,971
Tdockweiler and Purrin:

While this might sound controversial, I really enjoy and appreciate both of your comments, except for the arguing parts.

-U.

Dec 6, 2013 at 5:29 AM Post #1,870 of 4,971
Has anybody tried the Vali using the DAC of an E17? I have Mad Dog 3.2s and I'm under the impression that this amp would be fine; I'm just not sure if using the DAC of an E17 would be a waste of time. 

Dec 6, 2013 at 5:30 AM Post #1,871 of 4,971
Bro, when you do get one, I REALLY want to hear about how it stacks up with a Bravo or Indeed amp. PM me if you don't want to post it.

Please? :rolleyes:

actually im buying one today! Ill post my impresdions. I have a found recollection of how both my old ibndeed n millet hybrids sound... ill post a nice picture glorified revieq in a little over a week! Best of all im gettin n office job so i ofically need a second dedktop amp :3

Dec 6, 2013 at 5:52 AM Post #1,872 of 4,971
What exactly causes microphonics on a tube?

The simple answer: vibration of the inner structures, that affects amplification.

Solid state devices are isolated in plastic. You don't get microphonics because the parts in the signal path are isolated from vibration. Well ok, I've never taken my Magni and whacked it on a shelf, to see if I can hear something lol.
wink.gif
  But I'm not going to try.

Tube devices contain mechanical surfaces. These surfaces are shooting electrons across an air gap, supported with insulators. Little tiny vibrations of these surfaces can cause a slight modification of the signal being amplified. It would take a lecture on tubes to really explain it thoroughly. But its kind of like feedback (eg. placing a microphone too close to a speaker that is amplifying the microphone). Vibration is what causes the problem. Reducing vibration is the solution.

For the dubious, I spent nearly 15 yrs of my life making tubes (not audio tubes). So I do know something about them.

Dec 6, 2013 at 5:55 AM Post #1,873 of 4,971
  I'm on the verge of ordering the Vali to go along with my X-Fi Titanium HD sound card as DAC, using a HD598 (with plan to upgrade to HD600/650 in the future). I already ordered the Magni and have gotten the box from amazon (unopened so I can return the package without penalties). Do you guys think it's worth it for me to go ahead and return the Magni and get the Vali instead?

Is the SQ "upgrade" from Magni significant? I do want a "warmer" sound to complement the HD598's more colder and analytical sound. I also hear that the Vali has more of a bass boost which IMO the HD598 much needs. How do you guys with the HD598 like the transition from Magni to Vali?

One thing I think that may be bothersome is the ringing sound every time the amp vibrates. I will be putting this on a computer desk where I will be typing, the desk will be pretty stable, but the keyboard and mouse pad will be pretty much right next to it. Will this create problems for me?

I pretty much read most of this thread using the search with "HD600/650" "HD598" "Magni" as a subject, but any more contributions would be appreciated.

Personally? I love my Magni. It is a rock solid amp. It drives darn near anything. It has zero microphonics. Yes, it's true, I have a limited selection of amps, so I'm a little biased. But I would not trade my Magni for a Vali.

Would I also get a Vali? I'm personally waiting until Mshenay gets one, and can tell me if it's better than a Bravo, lol. Then I might get one.

Dec 6, 2013 at 6:00 AM Post #1,874 of 4,971
So here's my one big gripe with the Vali. With the Magni, too, for that matter.

That white power indicator light on front is way too dang bright! What I mean to say is that, it is WAAAAAY too dang bright!

I was going to use one of these as my bedside amp. But I like it dark as I head to sleepyland and, boy, this will really affect my getting to sleep. I could tape it up at the front, but you'll all notice the light illuminates the inside of the amp from the backside of the bulb. That bright white light is clearly visible through the vent holes on top.

If it were up to me, I'd say the little orange biasing LEDs inside the amp are enough to let me know that the amp is on. When it's dark, you can see it illuminate the edges of the vent holes. Or just look inside at the top if your not sure. The gentle orange glow is easy on the eyes at night and is very dim.

Or if the indicator light were at least red, it would be much less disruptive in the dark.

So I cannot use either the Vali or the Magni as my bedside amp for this bright white light.

Once the warranty period ends, I'm going to open up both amps and desolder or snip out those power indicator lights for sure.

Too much work.
I put a couple of Post-it notes over the top of mine. And my Modi too for that matter. Works like a charm.

Dec 6, 2013 at 6:07 AM Post #1,875 of 4,971
actually im buying one today! Ill post my impresdions. I have a found recollection of how both my old ibndeed n millet hybrids sound... ill post a nice picture glorified revieq in a little over a week! Best of all im gettin n office job so i ofically need a second dedktop amp :3

/jealous

Having children really inhibits my ability to spend as much money as I want to, on audio gear. My kids keep wanting to eat. Or wear clothes. Sheesh.

Office jobs are awesome. I highly recommend them. This is why I own 2 Bravo's lol.

And yes, even though I know it will never happen, I do still wish Schiit made a DAC for ipods.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back