NEW Vali Schiit AMP!!!
Dec 4, 2013 at 9:44 AM Post #1,666 of 4,971
"The DSHA sounds like butter while the Vali sounds like I can't believe its not butter"

Kind of obvious when reading it two times. 

Bingo!

Here's an ever more obvious clue from earlier on "How big a deal are microphonics? To find out, I asked the average "man on the street" if they were worried about microphonics or if they thought it was a non-issue. Most people ignored me, but one man dressed as Jesus in a diaper stated in no uncertain terms that "aliens kidnapped his baby and that's where applesauce comes from." Strong words indeed, and something that should make Schiit think twice before downplaying microphonics in the future.

Hello.

Dec 4, 2013 at 10:03 AM Post #1,669 of 4,971
I think this thread should go back to user impressions as opposed to review criticism.

Gosh, sorry dad.

I guess there haven't been enough user impressions yet, eh?

I provided mine weeks ago...where are yours?

http://www.head-fi.org/t/685162/new-vali-schiit-amp/540#post_9930077

Dec 4, 2013 at 10:16 AM Post #1,670 of 4,971

"The DSHA sounds like butter while the Vali sounds like I can't believe its not butter"

Kind of obvious when reading it two times. 

I took it as a guy who thought he was being funny, but inappropriately since he is a vetted head-fi contributor who was sent a piece of gear. I've never read such a flippant review on head-fi that didn't at least try to include some useful commentary. As funny as it may be to some or even the people at Schiit (and I do appreciate not taking this stuff too seriously), I'd be very hesitant to send him something to review if I were a manufacturer from a country where the humor doesn't translate - not every manufacturer is a native speaker of English and I would imagine most expect a modicum of professionalism when they go through the trouble of sending gear to a guy with a bona fide head-fi name tag on his profile. I reserve the right to be completely wrong about all of my assumptions. Good night and good luck.

Dec 4, 2013 at 10:16 AM Post #1,671 of 4,971
We'll have to disagree on that point. I think it was genius and played ever so nicely off the standard review double speak. It injected some much-needed levity into this thread. Knowing Jason, I can say he would laugh out loud at that post. It was well written satire. That you did not recognize it as satire is not the author's fault.

This. I will be linking to this as The Best Vali Review of All Time.

I knew it was parody at the first sentence. In addition to Schiit, I'm a published, award-winning science fiction author, so either (a) I know a thing or two about writing, or (b) I also write complete dreck. Either is fine by me--the review was hilarious!

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Dec 4, 2013 at 10:19 AM Post #1,672 of 4,971
  I think this thread should go back to user impressions as opposed to review criticism.

It just says new vali schiit amp!!! in the title, nothing about it being an impressions thread. I get your drift, though.

Dec 4, 2013 at 10:21 AM Post #1,673 of 4,971
Gosh, sorry dad.

In rereading your review (thanks for that), I noticed that you seem to have only used the Modi with the Vali. With all this talk about the Vali responding very well to 'better' dacs, I wondered if you were able to check it out with any other dacs while you had it? From your experience with it, would you even consider  using the Vali to drive your LCD-X?

Dec 4, 2013 at 10:31 AM Post #1,674 of 4,971
Okay, so I received my Modi and Vali today and hooked them up to my PC.  Apparently my Windows (Win 7 Ultimate 64bit SP1) doesn't recognize Modi. Are there some special drivers to be downloaded in a case like this or something? 
I linked Vali and my old uDAC 2 together and they sound fine, but without my Schiit stack complete I feel dead inside. I'd hate to return the Modi, plus I live in Europe so there's that extra hassle over international shippings etc. Wat do? 
confused.gif

Dec 4, 2013 at 10:46 AM Post #1,675 of 4,971
In rereading your review (thanks for that), I noticed that you seem to have only used the Modi with the Vali. With all this talk about the Vali responding very well to 'better' dacs, I wondered if you were able to check it out with any other dacs while you had it? From your experience with it, would you even consider  using the Vali to drive your LCD-X?

Sadly, my Vali had to go home before I had a chance to test it with other DAC's. If I were listening at the studio, where I have the Schiit Mini-Stack, I would absolutely use it to drive my LCD-X's. There's plenty of power. That said, I would probably reach for the Mjolnir first if I were at home.

I would probably drive the X's with the Vali before the Lyr. I wasn't crazy about the synergy between the X and Lyr. Too lush.

Dec 4, 2013 at 10:50 AM Post #1,676 of 4,971
Gosh, sorry dad.

Slow your roll, son.  I have posted several times with my impressions.  

I thought the review was good satire, too, but you can't convince someone who doesn't see it as such that it is so.  

Seems like it would be a waste of your time and not really relevant or useful in a thread about an amp.

Dec 4, 2013 at 11:07 AM Post #1,677 of 4,971
It all started when I bought an HD-580 for dirt cheap and found it better than the HD-600. It was the grills! It reduced the bass and sounded much more neutral and clearer. Probably not measurable.

Yes, the 580s can be great and sometimes more musical than the 600s. But you have to pair it with the right amp to get the most out of it (true for all phones generally).

Both can sound glorious, but how would I describe the differences? The 580s are warmer and maybe less resolving (even though they supposedly use the same drivers), but there's a suppleness and organic quality to the sound that is just hypnotic. But if you don't have just the right phone/amp combination, they can sound like a overly-warm, bloated mess.

The 600s, on the other hand, sound more dynamic and clear, but lack the suppleness and organic quality I just described above. They sound stiffer in comparison. Still, they can sound great.

For those of you who know tube amps, the 580 would be akin to a really involving single ended tube amp (like 2A3 or 300B), whereas the 600 are akin to a really good push-pull tube amp.

But, IMO, you have to get the right phone/amp synergy with both, it they can sound really wrong.

I will try both with the Vali when I have time and report back.

Dec 4, 2013 at 11:17 AM Post #1,678 of 4,971
  Slow your roll, son.  I have posted several times with my impressions.  

I thought the review was good satire, too, but you can't convince someone who doesn't see it as such that it is so.  

Seems like it would be a waste of your time and not really relevant or useful in a thread about an amp.

Sorry if I came off as aggressive there.  I just take issue when people try to shape the conversation.  Sometimes the most interesting points are made i posts that skirt the edges of 'on topic'

Peace.

Dec 4, 2013 at 11:30 AM Post #1,679 of 4,971
/facepalm

You recognize it was humorous satire, right?

It wasn't exactly obviously funny so no.
You really need to know the prior writing of he person to figure these subtleties out. It's not exactly like people's reviews make less than sense some times and use exactly those type of words. Some places only give you those type of reviews.
Looking back it was perhaps a bit too loose even for a head-fi commentary.

ITT: oblivious folk
come on people I was laughing the whole time. Very well executed subtle satire. Maybe if he'd read it aloud you would've heard it in tone and thus, funnier. :rolleyes:

Dec 4, 2013 at 11:30 AM Post #1,680 of 4,971
I accidentally posted the following comment on the HD650 thread, but meant to post it here. Reposting because there's a lot of interest in the HD650s out of the Vali--sorry for any bad forum etiquette.

After my disappointment with the Modi>Vali>HD650, I've been auditioning the Gungnir>Vali>HD650, and I'm shocked at the difference in sound. With the Modi chain, the HD650 sounded flabby and hazy with compressed dynamics.  The Gungnir chain largely cleans up those problems and makes the HD650 sound very rich with exciting dynamics. I have to listen to the Gungnir>Mjolnir>HD650 again, but I'm not sure I've ever heard the HD650 treble with this much sparkle and clarity. The mid-bass punch of the HD650 hits like a prize fighter--maybe a bit too much, but very fun. The soundstage is intimate, but instrument separation and detail are very nice. This is one of the best chains I've ever heard for the HD650.  I think some of the preferences for the HD600 comes from plugging it into muddy signal chains.  The Gungnir>Vali>HD650 may make you forget about the HD600.

Schiit should never have used the Modi-sized chassis for the Vali, because the Modi doesn't begin to take advantage of the Vali's potential.  The Vali deserves a high quality DAC.

Added: I realize it may sound a little looney writing about a $119 amp and a $749 DAC, but I'm just trying to make some observations with the gear I have available. If the HD650 is your love, the Vali with a good DAC is a nice combination. For whatever reason, the Modi>Vali>HD650 is a weak combination, so it's worth testing other DACs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back