New Ultrasone Edition 5 hinted in the Fujiya Avice Autumn Festival 2013
Oct 22, 2014 at 1:43 PM Post #256 of 339
Just ordered some  [COLOR=B22222]Red Headphone Cable  from [/COLOR][COLOR=B22222]WyWires: [/COLOR]  One SE with a 1/4 jack for my HUGO and one balanced with XLR plug for my (to come) ED 4-45. 

I was unable to find any info on the type of litz wire used.
occ?
Copper?
Silver or plated?

My guess is that unless stated so,
its not OCC which is best process of metal regardless of type whether copper or silver or even if litz.

The fact that it is a litz configuration is very good but does not automatically place it in league of say a twag or other silver cable..
I only point out concerns since the ed series benifit greatly to detail with that S-logic so you would want a detailed wire
yet Im not saying anything negative it may be a great upgrade from stock but I don't know because the stock cables are of good quality

Edit:
Ok I just checked and those cables strength is in their litz configuration only (like Cardas),
and has no OCC or silver or plated.
Just high quality copper so I don't understand why the savings isn't pass on to buyer as it costs same as similar cables with OCC..
edit:
I once had an old techer (audio engineer) who used his right ear exclusively when placing microphones and instruments.
He told me one thing very important.
To "keep mind open and trust your ears."
So I see this company is trusting listeners ears and that is comendable.

Oct 25, 2014 at 8:05 AM Post #257 of 339
Edition 5 Unlimited debuted today at Fujiya-Avic event in Tokyo. Housing is Ruthenium coated plastic and the price is ¥320000. Technically, these are same as the Limited, just different housing. If you liked the Edition 5 Limited, you'll most likely enjoy these too, I did. The demo pair wasn't burnt in, but sounded like an "Edition 5", very balanced from top to bottom.

Rabbit Ears courtesy of the nice folks at Timelord, the exclusive distributor of Ultrasone in Japan.

Oct 26, 2014 at 2:43 PM Post #258 of 339
Edition 5 Unlimited debuted today at Fujiya-Avic event in Tokyo. Housing is Ruthenium coated plastic and the price is ¥320000. Technically, these are same as the Limited, just different housing. If you liked the Edition 5 Limited, you'll most likely enjoy these too, I did. The demo pair wasn't burnt in, but sounded like an "Edition 5", very balanced from top to bottom.

Rabbit Ears courtesy of the nice folks at Timelord, the exclusive distributor of Ultrasone in Japan.

Interesting stuff Bootsy1.  Any word on expected release?  Thanks for posting the pics. 

Oct 26, 2014 at 2:52 PM Post #259 of 339

I am happy I have been able to buy the "limited" Edition before it is not available any more. 
biggrin.gif

I know I paid extra $ for the "privilege of the exclusivity", but the purpose of our hobby is far from trying to be reasonable ? isn't it 
wink.gif

And my ED5 will be even more exclusive when I will get my BALANCED WyWire Red cable that have been made just for me to connect it to me Eddie Curent 4-45 .

Oct 27, 2014 at 4:01 AM Post #260 of 339
Interesting stuff Bootsy1.  Any word on expected release?  Thanks for posting the pics. 

I was able to contact Timelord today, Ultrasones' distributor in Japan, and they told me the worldwide release date should be around mid~end November 2014 and the Japan release date will be at the end of November 2014.

I am happy I have been able to buy the "limited" Edition before it is not available any more. :D

I know I paid extra $ for the "privilege of the exclusivity", but the purpose of our hobby is far from trying to be reasonable ? isn't it :wink:

And my ED5 will be even more exclusive when I will get my BALANCED WyWire [COLOR=FF0000]Red[/COLOR] cable that have been made just for me to connect it to me Eddie Curent 4-45 .

I'm sure your Edition 5s with that new balanced cable is gonna sound spectacular :).

Oct 27, 2014 at 10:12 AM Post #261 of 339
I am happy I have been able to buy the "limited" Edition before it is not available any more. :D

I know I paid extra $ for the "privilege of the exclusivity", but the purpose of our hobby is far from trying to be reasonable ? isn't it :wink:

And my ED5 will be even more exclusive when I will get my BALANCED WyWire [COLOR=FF0000]Red[/COLOR] cable that have been made just for me to connect it to me Eddie Curent 4-45 .

well done, looks like end game setup for closed....
Now you need an open can (hd800) lol.

Oct 27, 2014 at 11:00 AM Post #262 of 339
well done, looks like end game setup for closed....
Now you need an open can (hd800) lol.

In fact, since WyWire will ship me several Cable from the US, I have already ordered from them also a Red Wire Balanced adaptor .... for the HD800 
biggrin.gif

but...now I need to find the DAC that will offer the best synergy with my ED445 and my Headphones ...

Nov 2, 2014 at 7:58 AM Post #263 of 339
I am now wondering what if any sonic differences between the limited and the unlimited.
Since the main difference is the cup, I am wondering how solid was the cup as woood might have added a sonic trait..

Nov 2, 2014 at 9:32 AM Post #264 of 339
I am now wondering what if any sonic differences between the limited and the unlimited.
Since the main difference is the cup, I am wondering how solid was the cup as woood might have added a sonic trait..
Despite having both side-by-side, I actually didn't listen to both simultaneously (difficult to do at a show when there's a queue waiting to listen a pair of headphones, would be selfish to hog two).

But I did ask Michael (who was also at the show). He mentioned that Ultrasone had got the unlimited version tuned to sound as close as possible limited version but naturally due to the difference in cup nature, naturally each would have different internal reflection properties.

Nov 2, 2014 at 4:23 PM Post #265 of 339
Despite having both side-by-side, I actually didn't listen to both simultaneously (difficult to do at a show when there's a queue waiting to listen a pair of headphones, would be selfish to hog two).

But I did ask Michael (who was also at the show). He mentioned that Ultrasone had got the unlimited version tuned to sound as close as possible limited version but naturally due to the difference in cup nature, naturally each would have different internal reflection properties.

AnakChan what was your overall impression of the ED-5.  Did you walk away impressed or with mixed views?

Nov 2, 2014 at 8:09 PM Post #266 of 339

AnakChan what was your overall impression of the ED-5.  Did you walk away impressed or with mixed views?

I think I've written somewhere (but can't remember which thread) that I think I have a secret passion for the Ed5 but am definitely unwilling to spend the asking price (nor even the asking price of the unlimited Ed5). At least in my mind, make no mistake that there is still that Ultrasone house sound with the Ed5 but but at least it's more refined than the other Ultrasone headphones.

Nov 2, 2014 at 10:11 PM Post #268 of 339

I think I've written somewhere (but can't remember which thread) that I think I have a secret passion for the Ed5 but am definitely unwilling to spend the asking price (nor even the asking price of the unlimited Ed5). At least in my mind, make no mistake that there is still that Ultrasone house sound with the Ed5 but but at least it's more refined than the other Ultrasone headphones.

Food for thought.  Thanks
beerchug.gif

Nov 2, 2014 at 11:31 PM Post #269 of 339
How does Ed5 compare to TH900? Which gets the throne of best closed can?
I actually wrote something about it but decided to delete the paragraph.

It's entirely preferential. Unlike bmichels to me the TH-900 still takes the crown between the two. But one big factor to take note is the TH-900 doesn't isolate - I actually think this is one of the contributing factors as to why the TH-900 can simulate a decent soundstage...cos it leaks.

The Ed5 OTOH isolates (not as well as the Alpha Dogs but at least it seals around the ears).

Dec 3, 2014 at 5:12 AM Post #270 of 339
Damned... I have false contact with my ED5 !
mad.gif
   The removable MMCX plug seems to be the weak part of the ED5. 

-->  I am therefore considering hardwiring my balanced Red WyWyres cable to it instead of using those MMCX plug.  

- has someone experienced such problem with the ED5 (or Edition 8 ROMEO & Edition 8 JULIA headphone that use the same plugs ? )

- does someone know how to open those headphone to see where the wires are disconnected from the plugs ? 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back