Mar 12, 2021 at 11:56 AM Post #8,673 of 9,406
List of changes in upcoming SP1000 firmware releasing next week:

SP1000(V1.57)

- Roon Ready Support
- Added option to save favorite tracks
- Added bookmark feature in folder view
- Added AK Connect Speaker selection on the Home screen
- Added year/name sorting capabilities in the Artist-album menu
- Added option-specific search function in search:frowning2:MQS, DSD, Album, Artist)
- Added resume function
- Added ability to change listed order of playlists
- Added option to select DAC Filter
- Operational stability improvements

Astell&Kern Stay updated on Astell&Kern at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/astellnkern/ https://twitter.com/astell_kern https://www.instagram.com/astellnkern.official/ https://astellnkern.com astellnkern@astellnkern.com
Mar 12, 2021 at 12:22 PM Post #8,674 of 9,406
Wow thanks, this is great news and I’m very excited to hear that now I can just access my core through my SP1000 and access all my music.

Last edited:
Mar 12, 2021 at 1:34 PM Post #8,675 of 9,406
Only SP1000 and SP2000 have been certified. There are plans to bring to other players, but no word on which other players will receive Roon Ready support at this time.

I thought the SP1000/SP1000M used similar hardware (same DAC, etc) and the same firmware (currently version 1.52 on both models)... Why not certify both at the same time?

Mar 12, 2021 at 2:07 PM Post #8,676 of 9,406
List of changes in upcoming SP1000 firmware releasing next week:

SP1000(V1.57)

- Roon Ready Support
- Added option to save favorite tracks
- Added bookmark feature in folder view
- Added AK Connect Speaker selection on the Home screen
- Added year/name sorting capabilities in the Artist-album menu
- Added option-specific search function in search:frowning2:MQS, DSD, Album, Artist)
- Added resume function
- Added ability to change listed order of playlists
- Added option to select DAC Filter
- Operational stability improvements
Great news and worth the wait! Now, I don't have to lug around my tablet and Topaz...

The SP1K DAC is still very very good (I liked it better than the Chord Hugo 2) and now having the ability to be used as a Roon endpoint just increases it's value.

Thx, AK and Roon!

CJ
:L3000: :L3000: :L3000:

Mar 13, 2021 at 5:11 AM Post #8,677 of 9,406
Since we are speaking about Firmware upgrade: it will be great that when the SP Amp is connected to the AK SP1000, there is no need to "turn ON" the AMP option in the SP1000 set-up each time we turn ON the SP1000. If the SP Amp is connected to the SP1000... this is to use it ! (or at least the SP1000 should keept the last Amp seting when you turn it on again)

Mar 13, 2021 at 7:20 AM Post #8,678 of 9,406
I thought the SP1000/SP1000M used similar hardware (same DAC, etc) and the same firmware (currently version 1.52 on both models)... Why not certify both at the same time?
This may be a marketing decision. Only the top tier is roon ready. I know this promise was part of my decision to go with the SP1000. It would be nice though if all capable daps were certified.

Mar 13, 2021 at 7:27 AM Post #8,679 of 9,406
This may be a marketing decision. Only the top tier is roon ready. I know this promise was part of my decision to go with the SP1000. It would be nice though if all capable daps were certified.

I guess A&ultima does not mean top tier?

The original "Roon Ready" announcement was actually done alongside the debut of the SP1000M on October 4, 2018. You would have thought that meant something. I guess I spent $200 too little. Very, very frustrating. Direct quote below:

Roon Ready

Astell&Kern will add Roon support to the existing portable player line in late 2018. Roon Ready network players have Roon’s high-resolution streaming technology built right in. Roon will discover them on your network, deliver the highest possible quality audio, and even allow volume control right from the Roon user interface!

Note that this announcement would also include the SR15 (which I own as well). It was announced on May 11, 2018.

Last edited:
Mar 13, 2021 at 7:39 AM Post #8,680 of 9,406
Indeed, it had been promised that way.

I can imagine that this is just the start of a general roll-out. Start with top tier devices first, collect feedback from users and then move on to other devices. Knowing the limitations of Android, it could very well be that the whole exercise involves a major overhaul of their firmware, which would also justify a phased roll out.

Maybe @JasonNYC can shed a bit of light on future plans of AK to fulfill their promises.

Mar 13, 2021 at 7:44 AM Post #8,681 of 9,406
Indeed, it had been promised that way.

I can imagine that this is just the start of a general roll-out. Start with top tier devices first, collect feedback from users and then move on to other devices. Knowing the limitations of Android, it could very well be that the whole exercise involves a major overhaul of their firmware, which would also justify a phased roll out.

Maybe @JasonNYC can shed a bit of light on future plans of AK to fulfill their promises.

I very much hope you are correct. The "Roon Ready" feature was what led me to purchase these devices over others as I extensively use Roon with my home setup.

Mar 13, 2021 at 7:45 AM Post #8,682 of 9,406
I guess A&ultima does not mean top tier?

The original "Roon Ready" announcement was actually done alongside the debut of the SP1000M on October 4, 2018. You would have thought that meant something. I guess I spent $200 too little. Very, very frustrating. Direct quote below:

Note that this announcement would also include the SR15 (which I own as well). It was announced on May 11, 2018.
Agreed. I’m sure then they will go through the certification process with all the models promised. They had the chance to bow out completely but kept moving forward in the bckground.

Mar 13, 2021 at 9:56 AM Post #8,683 of 9,406
The models with processor than can facilitate Roon, will all be Roon updated. They are just doing a rollout to the top players first is all. Though I do understand that omitting the Sp1000m at this launch is a little strange since they have similar specs. Same for all models with octa core processors I guess.

Remember that these devices are all going through a testing criteria. Even these top end players do have limitations based on the Android platform limitations. As mentioned below in Roon very own partner page. Specifically with multi zone.

* Limitations of the Android Operating System used on this device can sometimes lead to unreliable RAAT group sync. Learn more.

Last edited:
Mar 13, 2021 at 12:35 PM Post #8,684 of 9,406
Only SP1000 and SP2000 have been certified. There are plans to bring to other players, but no word on which other players will receive Roon Ready support at this time.
I for one, and a recent new owner, would love to see ROON Ready compatibility come to the SR25.

Mar 16, 2021 at 1:24 AM Post #8,685 of 9,406
it's live guys; go get the update !
1615872683262.png

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back