New TOL A&K DAP : the AK Ultima SP1000
Mar 16, 2021 at 1:04 PM Post #8,703 of 9,409
I have a lifetime sub to Roon and I too purchased after I learned that Roon was going to be implemented in our AK players. It has as been a long wait indeed, but im super happy to have it finally available. The implementation is well done and the this update really makes the AK products truly killer.

I was thinking of picking this cable up to connect my player directly to my Flux FA-12 and use iPad or iPhone to use Roon, does anyone have any experience with this cable? Seem like a great price and it has come down in price considerable since I first looked at it a while back. The AK branded one though im sure a much better cable and connector was like well over a thousand dollars.

https://www.amazon.com/Extreme-Audi...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=55HXFE2MN6JB2502QYZV

1615897294572.png
There are cheaper and good cables for this. I actually have two. PM me.

Mar 16, 2021 at 1:09 PM Post #8,704 of 9,409
All I can say is...

W O W I E . . .

I still need my tablet/phone but the ability to use the SP1K with ROON is awesome. Sound is superb - The SP1K DAC is still great-sounding.

Thank you, AK and ROON!!

:L3000: :L3000: :L3000:

Last edited:
Mar 16, 2021 at 1:27 PM Post #8,705 of 9,409
I never appreciated surfing my library via SP1k's touch screen, since it neither provides enough space nor efficient usability for me. Hence I didn't use it as much as I planned, when I got mine.

With Roon endpoint compatibility, however, I immediately feel the joy of the past. With iPad instead of CD booklets. And with a lot more visible space and information right at my finger tip.

Aside ... with the right adapter SP1k now serves as stationary AND mobile device. That's "cost efficient" ... :D

Last edited:
Mar 16, 2021 at 10:24 PM Post #8,706 of 9,409
All I can say is...

W O W I E . . .

I still need my tablet/phone but the ability to use the SP1K with ROON is awesome. Sound is superb - The SP1K DAC is still great-sounding.

Thank you, AK and ROON!!

:L3000: :L3000: :L3000:

So you control Roon all with your iPad or other device such as computer, vice using the interface on the SP1K?

Mar 17, 2021 at 12:44 AM Post #8,707 of 9,409
So you control Roon all with your iPad or other device such as computer, vice using the interface on the SP1K?
Yup, my iPad controls Roon via the SP1k, although I can skip songs directly from the AK. The songs show up in the AK screen as well.

Mar 17, 2021 at 4:40 AM Post #8,708 of 9,409
I never tried out Roon as it didn't seem to be of much use for the ways in which I access my music collection. Given that it is now available in the SP1000 I gave it a try and... I still don't find any use for it! Why should I use another device (iphone, ipad, mac, ...) to control the music that is playing on my A&K? The only interaction you are allowed to do are playing and stopping tracks. I can see how it could be useful for some, but I already have all the music I need on my SP1000, so why paying $10/m for having the exact same experience, minus the inability to navigate my library?

Mar 17, 2021 at 6:23 AM Post #8,709 of 9,409
The idea of Roon is to be your central point to consume your library/online streaming (qobuz/tidal) music.

Roon certified end-points are used to just PLAY your stuff. That's it. Navigation is done via Roon remote control apps (ipad/android/desktop). Which might at some point be usable for SP1k as well. However, this would not necessarily change the experience on this device. Since this remains limited by the small screen SP1k provides. Which is in the nature of it being a mobile device.

In the past, you put a CD in your CD player and enjoyed listening to it. You might have read through CD booklets or scanned your CD rack for the next peace of music you'd like to play. And with Roon this is done virtual. You assign an album to the player (SP1k), you might read the information provided by Roon concerning this album (incl. song text) or you might look for the next piece of music. And if you would use a tablet, you would be able to enjoy lots of screen space while doing so. Additionally, given the online nature of Roon, you will also get tons of complementary information, far beyond those provided by CD booklets only. Information about artist, album, collaborations, similar artists, cross links, links to internet information, etc. etc. etc. All across your own and available online libraries. And all in a single place.

And this is what makes me enjoy Roon. Plus, with a separate, larger tablet remote app this experience gets even better, since the larger screen a) serves me well with my eyes getting weaker year by year and b) provides way better efficiency to control my stuff (less scrolling, more visible the same time, etc.).

BTW: If you make your library available to Roon, you would be able to navigate it too.

Last edited:
Mar 17, 2021 at 6:41 AM Post #8,710 of 9,409
I never tried out Roon as it didn't seem to be of much use for the ways in which I access my music collection. Given that it is now available in the SP1000 I gave it a try and... I still don't find any use for it! Why should I use another device (iphone, ipad, mac, ...) to control the music that is playing on my A&K? The only interaction you are allowed to do are playing and stopping tracks. I can see how it could be useful for some, but I already have all the music I need on my SP1000, so why paying $10/m for having the exact same experience, minus the inability to navigate my library?
I agree with you. I think this is completely pointless. Why listen to audio via the SPk1 that is stored on a server? If I want to listen to my SP1k then I will use the SP1k. Am I missing something here? At first I thought the SP1k could be used as a core, now that would be very useful but as an endpoint only....useless. Very disappointed considering all the hype!

Mar 17, 2021 at 7:52 AM Post #8,711 of 9,409
There hasn't been any hype. There has been long anticipation based on AK's own promises to make SP1K (and others) roon ready (not roon core btw!). There has been frustration based on AK's lack of transparency throughout the > 2 years delayed process. With the only exceptions: JasonNYC updates from time to time. Which a lot of us highly appreciated.

Just open your mind and you might find something in Roon and SP1k as it is now yourself too! If not ... so be it.

Mar 17, 2021 at 7:59 AM Post #8,712 of 9,409
The idea of Roon is to be your central point to consume your library/online streaming (qobuz/tidal) music.

Roon certified end-points are used to just PLAY your stuff. That's it. Navigation is done via Roon remote control apps (ipad/android/desktop). Which might at some point be usable for SP1k as well. However, this would not necessarily change the experience on this device. Since this remains limited by the small screen SP1k provides. Which is in the nature of it being a mobile device.

In the past, you put a CD in your CD player and enjoyed listening to it. You might have read through CD booklets or scanned your CD rack for the next peace of music you'd like to play. And with Roon this is done virtual. You assign an album to the player (SP1k), you might read the information provided by Roon concerning this album (incl. song text) or you might look for the next piece of music. And if you would use a tablet, you would be able to enjoy lots of screen space while doing so. Additionally, given the online nature of Roon, you will also get tons of complementary information, far beyond those provided by CD booklets only. Information about artist, album, collaborations, similar artists, cross links, links to internet information, etc. etc. etc. All across your own and available online libraries. And all in a single place.

And this is what makes me enjoy Roon. Plus, with a separate, larger tablet remote app this experience gets even better, since the larger screen a) serves me well with my eyes getting weaker year by year and b) provides way better efficiency to control my stuff (less scrolling, more visible the same time, etc.).

BTW: If you make your library available to Roon, you would be able to navigate it too.

Exactly, plus a ton of other useful featuring including using the device as a source connected to the amp directly. And using the iPhone or iPad as the controller. What is there not to like? The killer interface and careful consolidation of all the music including the your streaming services all being able to be access all in one place.
I love this Roon integration thank you AK!!! Bravo.

Mar 17, 2021 at 8:09 AM Post #8,713 of 9,409
Exactly, plus a ton of other useful featuring including using the device as a source connected to the amp directly. And using the iPhone or iPad as the controller. What is there not to like? The killer interface and careful consolidation of all the music including the your streaming services all being able to be access all in one place.
I love this Roon integration thank you AK!!! Bravo.

Don't forget all the DSP options, parametric, convolution, crossfeed, etc, all done at the core and preserving MQA.

Mar 17, 2021 at 8:13 AM Post #8,714 of 9,409
Has anyone found that roon’s raat is proving more stable than dlna/upnp of lets say mconnect, Audirvana, Jriver and AK Connect? For me... roon streaming at home, SP1K/2K local when out.

Mar 17, 2021 at 8:18 AM Post #8,715 of 9,409
Does the sp1/2k act as just an end point for audio output only or the roon core can discover music stored on the connected sp1/2k device and allow them to play back on another end point (for example another device/speaker system)?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back