New TOL A&K DAP : the AK Ultima SP1000
Jul 9, 2017 at 9:46 AM Post #737 of 9,411
I tested the WM1Z remote with my friend SP1000, and the answer is yes. It works.
great, thank you very much! it is very important for me.

Jul 9, 2017 at 10:37 AM Post #738 of 9,411
great, thank you very much! it is very important for me.
Thanks for your review and congrats.
Does the player come with a completely empty storage or already with some albums on hard drive?

In hands, It is indeed a piece of truly high-end-audio design. Hands down the best portable player I've seen but the way one of that league is supposed to be. Perhaps it is simply the FIRST high-end portable player ever made. All the rest feel and look like toys.

That's why I am not going to hide its beauty in that leather case, or any other case. No way. It is like wearing nice wrist watch in a "protective" case or headphones haha

I believe the players come with 8 or so various hi res tracks, same as other Astell & Kern players past.

Jul 9, 2017 at 5:56 PM Post #741 of 9,411
A couple of things that I have observed over the course of the last 2 days.

1) The player doesn't get hot at all, after 4 or 5 hour listening sessions.
2) The balanced and unbalanced outputs are almost identical in terms of what sounds better to my ears, while the AK380 to me sounded worse through its balanaced out side.
3) the battery on the players is excellent after 5 hours of none stop playing various files from 24 bit and DSD I still have 63% of battery life, the AK380 would be in the low 20 at that point maybe less.
4) the Omni directional antenna is much better with Tidal, I have a better signal and can listen farther from the router than the AK380.
5) the amp section must be more efficient because on the unbalanced side the volume at identical volume versus the AK380 is louder with less distortion. Also the claim that the unbalanced side or balanced side at high volume distorts, is not something I have found.

Last edited:
Jul 10, 2017 at 1:24 AM Post #743 of 9,411
The AK380 has nothing to my ear thats better than the SP1000, I will have to respectfully disagree with you. The SP1000 has gobs of resolution, is in every way better in the overall UI experience. We can disagree what your sound Sig Q preference is, but a better DAP overall, mhm no way.
I'm still listening and getting to know it, but so far I like everything more than my AK380 CU.

I totally agree. My SP1000 has a considerably better sound than my AK380. I also find it to be rather lush and not too bright as some people seem to be experiencing. I do however use the balanced output exclusively.

Jul 10, 2017 at 3:53 AM Post #744 of 9,411
.... I also find it to be rather lush and not too bright as some people seem to be experiencing. I do however use the balanced output exclusively.

Congratulation for your new toy. I am happy you enjoy it.

Can you please let us know what headphone you are using with the SP1000 ? I guess headphone synergy is quite important with this DAP.

Jul 10, 2017 at 4:19 AM Post #745 of 9,411
Does anyone know if the SP1000 fast charger is a Qualcomm quick charge standard?

Haven't received mine yet, but considering it's powered by a Snapdragon 820 it should be it. A Galaxy S6/7 charger should do it.

Jul 10, 2017 at 10:29 AM Post #747 of 9,411
"with a custom balanced cable."

What kind of cable? Moon Audio Black Dragon or a different maker? With bass pots or tuned? I have both a Black and a Silver (balanced) for use with my Angie 1 and my AK240SS and the sound is very different with each. The Black has more body and bass, the Silver has much more detail and upper end (very good lows, but not like the Black). Both with bass pots turned to about 2-3pm.

Jul 10, 2017 at 11:11 AM Post #748 of 9,411
Agree, I am afraid that the SS may be too bright, and I should may be have waited for the Cu version... time will telll.

BUT, kept in mind that you can always make the sound warmer by choosing the appropriate cable & headphone....

You both have interesting points and are valid. In listening to the SP1000 now for quite some time. I think I have exactly what I wanted. The SP1000 and my cable from DHC produce bright highs. My CIEMs, UE 18+ Pro adds timbre and a touch of warmth with fluid bass. I couldn't have asked for a better setup. I can tell because when I use the HD800's and the same exact cable, highs are all there and when bass hits it is a punch instead of deep low warmth. Now the HD800 is extremely unforgiving and needs driven with more power. I believe an amp will make it more pronounced. With my CIEM's (UE 18's) adding the amp would be welcomed as well just to be able to drive them further and louder for some music. I am getting all the warmth I need from the CIEM in this case. The ultimate setup in my honest opinion.

Last edited:
Jul 10, 2017 at 12:05 PM Post #749 of 9,411
As the owner of the AK380SS and the ULTIMA

My final statement on the SP1000

As long as Astell&Kern does not provide an amp module for the Ultima, the existing AK380SS/COPPER/AMP MODULE is the better solution regarding audio performance. regardless of the better user interface and the bigger, sharper display.......because the SP1000 is underpowered for 80% of the over-ear flagships.

Only my FOCAL UTOPIA and my AKG K812 3DMESH are easy to drive and sounds great with the Ultima.....so we must wait for the optional Amp module...and i am sure....ASTELL&KERN will bring it on the market

Don't understand me wrong...i don't want be a spoil sport...because i love the ASTELL&KERN...but my followers in Austria and Germany knows,that i am a perfectionist

REGARDS FROM AUSTRIA
NOMAX

p.s.: don’t even mention the Ultimas bad/teribble scrollwheel…

Last edited:
Jul 10, 2017 at 12:25 PM Post #750 of 9,411
I love the scroll wheel on the SP1000 and frankly I never bought any DAP on the basis of driving TOTL over ear cans. But I do understand that it is under powered in those regards. I too will but an amp if they come out with one in the near future.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back