New TOL A&K DAP : the AK Ultima SP1000
Jul 10, 2017 at 1:10 PM Post #751 of 9,411
My final statement on the SP1000
the existing AK380SS/COPPER/AMP MODULE is the better solution regarding audio…
for us? unlikely even for yourself "final"
it is naive to expect from a size of SP1K the output of a desktop amp in addition to best-in-the-world (and-the-history-of-portable-audio) player with dual-DAC plus 12-hour battery life and all the bells and whistles it got

its precessor from not that long ago

14215155512323124.jpg

Last edited:
Jul 10, 2017 at 1:21 PM Post #752 of 9,411
Just tried the SP1000 with ALO CDM - end to end balanced. Here are my notes:

1) There is no GND because you are connecting 4 pin to 4 pin TRRS. In my case when I connect the SP1000 to a charger or my PC, there is ground noise when paired with CDM. This is easily solved by connecting the ALO CDM USB port to the same power source as the SP1000. You still leave the input selector to balanced on the CDM. If you are using the SP1000 on battery, then you won't have any issue and no need to connect USB. This is why SP1000 amp connector has 5 pins - one will be used for GND.

2) As for sound, the pairing is fantastic! I won't go into much detail because much is affected by the tubes which in my case are Telefunken 5719. Basically, ALO adds a level of dynamics and extension and can drive nearly any headphone. I don't know of another portable tube amp that accepts 2.5mm TRRS input and is also a true dual mono design.

3) Stacking - the new design of the SP1000 stacks neatly with CDM and seem to be made for each other. I also found that the new SP1000 design fits my smartphone stand and creates a nice desktop option.

While I would highly recommend ALO CDM as "amp module" for the SP1000, problem is I think ALO has stopped making them so only ones available now are pre-owned.

Personally, I would just pair SP1000 with a TOTL IEM of your choice and call it a day.

Jul 10, 2017 at 1:51 PM Post #753 of 9,411
it is naive to expect from a size of SP1K the output of a desktop amp in addition to best-in-the-world [...]

Astell&Kern nearly made it with AK380+AK380 amp. They drive nearly everything, also rather demanding headphones such as HD800S and HE-1000, for example. The SP1000 ist larger and heavier than the AK380 alone, so it should have been possible to make it more powerful. Some other DAPs are much more powerful (even KANN is). Unfortunately, A&K went another way with the SP1000.

Jul 10, 2017 at 2:16 PM Post #754 of 9,411
...., problem is I think ALO has stopped making them (the CDM) so only ones available now are pre-owned.

Personally, I would just pair SP1000 with a TOTL IEM of your choice and call it a day.

May be ALO is preparing us a nice surprise, a successor to the ALO CDM. Some sort of dual mono ALO V5 ? :wink:

In, the mean time, yes a TOL IEM is the key. May be the SHURE KSE1500 which I heard with the SP1000 and pair wonderfully. Or the Focal UTOPIA which I understand is happy with the "relatively low" output provided by the SP1000 (so, NO Planards until we get a good amp for the ultima. Even my HE-X which is supposed to be an easy to drive planar do sound flat !)

PS : I wonder if the Audeze LCD-i4 will be OK with the SP1000 or... under powered ? It is a planar-IEM ! :)

Last edited:
Jul 10, 2017 at 3:11 PM Post #755 of 9,411
No Ultima has enough Power for lcdi4

Nomax

Jul 10, 2017 at 3:13 PM Post #756 of 9,411
Jul 10, 2017 at 5:01 PM Post #757 of 9,411
It was unbalanced....yes enough Power,nice sounding IEM.....but for this Price?bad material,bad and cheap construction,...you can not take other Ear Tips.....Spin Fit,Spiral Dot etc etc...for this price,,,better you take the KSE1500...you get more for your money

So i am not unlucky with my Sp1000......but i am more happier with my AK380SS/SS AMP....and i think i am not the only one which is hopping that ASTELL&KERN will bring a AMP MODULE for the ULTIMA

NOMAX

Jul 10, 2017 at 5:24 PM Post #758 of 9,411
Jul 10, 2017 at 5:32 PM Post #759 of 9,411
If someone is interested I mesured SP1000's battery life. With PCM only music files (NO DSD) and IEM (volume around 90) I got :

- Exactly 10 hours playing time before it turned OFF. (note that the % remaining displayed is not very accurate since after 5 hours it showed 70% remaining, while logically it should have displayer 50%)
- And then recharge took 4h15 minutes with a standard USB iPad charger,

this is my modest contribution to general knowledge :wink:

Last edited:
Jul 11, 2017 at 3:37 AM Post #760 of 9,411
If someone is interested I mesured SP1000's battery life. With PCM only music files (NO DSD) and IEM (volume around 90) I got :

- Exactly 10 hours playing time before it turned OFF. (note that the % remaining displayed is not very accurate since after 5 hours it showed 70% remaining, while logically it should have displayer 50%)
- And then recharge took 4h15 minutes with a standard USB iPad charger,

this is my modest contribution to general knowledge :wink:
Awesome find, Wm1z still edges out in battery play time eh , but AK is impressive

Jul 11, 2017 at 4:54 AM Post #761 of 9,411
It was unbalanced....yes enough Power,nice sounding IEM.....but for this Price?bad material,bad and cheap construction,...you can not take other Ear Tips.....Spin Fit,Spiral Dot etc etc...for this price,,,better you take the KSE1500...you get more for your money

So i am not unlucky with my Sp1000......but i am more happier with my AK380SS/SS AMP....and i think i am not the only one which is hopping that ASTELL&KERN will bring a AMP MODULE for the ULTIMA

NOMAX

That's what I wanted to know, thanks. Balanced it should sound even better. Concerning the bad and cheap construction, I guess it's a matter to keep it as light as possible, but it should do fine for my needs (I don't need to use it outside, it isn't even conceived for that given its leakage, but just when I'm away from home, at the hotel and so on). Pretty sure the KSE1500 sounds great, and it would nicely complement my stationary SR009 setup, but I really want to avoid having to go around with another component that needs charging and cabling.
I second those stating that driving big cans isn't what such devices should focus on, I really can't see myself going on holydays with an HD800 or an Utopia in my bag, but of course it's me: different ppl different uses!

Last edited:
Jul 11, 2017 at 11:09 AM Post #762 of 9,411
2) As for sound, the pairing is fantastic! I won't go into much detail because much is affected by the tubes which in my case are Telefunken 5719. Basically, ALO adds a level of dynamics and extension and can drive nearly any headphone. I don't know of another portable tube amp that accepts 2.5mm TRRS input and is also a true dual mono design.

3) Stacking - the new design of the SP1000 stacks neatly with CDM and seem to be made for each other. I also found that the new SP1000 design fits my smartphone stand and creates a nice desktop option.

While I would highly recommend ALO CDM as "amp module" for the SP1000, problem is I think ALO has stopped making them so only ones available now are pre-owned.

I just received my SP1000 on Saturday, so I haven't had much playing time, but thus far, its single-ended connection with the CDM has been fabulous. The latter rounded out the SP1000's sound, giving the resulting output a full-bodied tone. I'm loving the pair!

Oh and, yes, the SP1000 is a perfect match for the CDM in terms of a stack. They are nearly the same size. Shame that it weighs a ton, though! :joy:

Btw, I did ask ALO Audio on the lifespan of the CDM, and I was told that it won't be discontinued anytime soon. For an amp, it's still middle aged, so I reckon we will only see a v6 in 1-2 years.

Jul 11, 2017 at 1:32 PM Post #763 of 9,411
I am not sure that the CDM used single ended is better than the more recent little brother V5 (SE only) which happend to be more powerful than the bigger CDM.

Jul 11, 2017 at 1:49 PM Post #764 of 9,411
ALO sells a 2.5mm to 2.5mm short interconnect for about the same price as a custom cable, but ready to ship.

On a personal note - I've managed to swap DAPs with my good friend for his SP1000 since he is a full headphone listener. I got a little bit better monetary trade versus the amounts I saw in the trade up program, plus I was able to trade more stuff. I've enjoyed the AK380 CU stack, but I only wanted that for portable and office use and it was just too damn big and heavy for portable. The final decision was when I vacuumed my house with SP1000 in my pant pocket and not once did my pants fall off!

Office use will be SP1000 with CDM, and portable with be just SP1000, both paired with my Laylas.

Jul 11, 2017 at 1:50 PM Post #765 of 9,411
I am not sure that the CDM used single ended is better than the more recent little brother V5 (SE only) which happend to be more powerful than the bigger CDM.

CDM is better single ended than Cv5. I have both and I prefer CDM for its higher musicality and lusher midrange to Cv5... Cv5 is more difficult to pair with iems and headphones imo. CDM is easier in that regard...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back