New TOL A&K DAP : the AK Ultima SP1000
Jul 8, 2017 at 12:18 PM Post #721 of 9,433
Quite obviously, the SP1000 is still not perfect for several full-size headphones:

Nomax posted this in German at open-end-music.de:

..... I mean that the AK380SS without amp is stronger than the SP1000

For example, if I take 5 certain tracks, scroll up on VOLUME 140 with both players, with the SAME TRACKS .....then the AK380SS (without amp) does not distort, the SP1000 distorts significantly. .... so what do we conclude from this?

And this happens with the K812 .... a headphone which is very easy to drive

NOMAX

PS. both have allegedly 2.3 VRMS .... so something has to be wrong here

source: http://www.open-end-music.de/vb3/showpost.php?p=244363&postcount=154

Last edited:
Jul 8, 2017 at 2:13 PM Post #722 of 9,433
UPS just dropped off the SP1000, after I get it all sorted out, full charge, music transfer etc ill come back and post some impressions versus the AK380 CU.

IMG_6644.JPG
IMG_6645.JPG

Jul 8, 2017 at 2:23 PM Post #723 of 9,433
UPS just dropped off the SP1000, after I get it all sorted out, full charge, music transfer etc ill come back and post some impressions versus the AK380 CU.

I will be very interested to hear your comparaison. Indeed I start to wonder if I should not have waited for the SP1000 Cu version since I find so far the SS very detailed but not "full" enough ( but I am waiting for more burn-in before final opinion)

Jul 8, 2017 at 3:23 PM Post #724 of 9,433
Quite obviously, the SP1000 is still not perfect for several full-size headphones:

Nomax posted this in German at open-end-music.de:

..... I mean that the AK380SS without amp is stronger than the SP1000

For example, if I take 5 certain tracks, scroll up on VOLUME 140 with both players, with the SAME TRACKS .....then the AK380SS (without amp) does not distort, the SP1000 distorts significantly. .... so what do we conclude from this?

And this happens with the K812 .... a headphone which is very easy to drive

NOMAX

PS. both have allegedly 2.3 VRMS .... so something has to be wrong here

source: http://www.open-end-music.de/vb3/showpost.php?p=244363&postcount=154

I will visit you next week....and then you will hear it what i mean....so we can hope that AK will bring a seperate Amp Module for the Ultima.....and with a little luck......in the next few months

NOMAX

Jul 8, 2017 at 4:19 PM Post #725 of 9,433
nw.jpg

My question to the Stainless Steel SP1000 owners :
Can you please guys tell/share sincerely - don't you find that the sound of the player is a bit on too bright side (and cold), especially, when played on high volume ? and you wish that the sound would had had a bit warmer signature (i mean with more bass and less pronounced high frequencies) in other words like the Copper version is promising to be? I am asking this question because I am between which vesion to get - the Copper or the SS and when I quickly tested (about 3 minutes only) the SS version in a local store - my impression was that the sound is a bit too bright and bass is not that wide to capture/sink you in even wih MDR-Z1R Sony that I tested it with

Last edited:
Jul 8, 2017 at 4:24 PM Post #726 of 9,433
My question to the Stainless Steel SP1000 owners :
Can you please guys tell/share sincerely - don't you find that the sound of the player is a bit on too bright side, especially, when played on high volume ? and you wish that the sound would have had a bit warmer signature (i mean with more bass and less pronounced high frequencies) in other words like the Copper version is promising to be? I am asking this question because I am between which vesion to get - the Copper or the SS and when I quickly tested (about 3 minutes only) the SS version in a local store - my impression was that the sound is a bit too bright and bass is not that wide to capture/sink you in

Agree, I am afraid that the SS may be too bright, and I should may be have waited for the Cu version... time will telll.

BUT, kept in mind that you can always make the sound warmer by choosing the appropriate cable & headphone....

Jul 8, 2017 at 4:42 PM Post #727 of 9,433
IMO:
"The reality which can't be catched by all ears is that this combo (AK380 cu + Amp AK380cu) has something which can't be found in any of the current and coming DAPs of AK.
AK380 cu + Amp AK380cu : is not the perfect one but for the moment, it remains better of all their possible combinaison. The SP1000 cu is on its way and it will be far different from the normal SP1000; by Bringing something good which is not in normal SP1000 and bringing some others lacks compaired to the normal SP1000.
The next generation after SP1000 will be the Fruit of maturation in terms of nomade DAP and AMP for AK. But who will accept to wait until that ?
I'm keeping and enjoying my Cu combo AK380".
sam

Jul 8, 2017 at 4:45 PM Post #728 of 9,433
IMO:
"The reality which can't be catched by all ears is that this combo (AK380 cu + Amp AK380cu) has something which can't be found in any of the current and coming DAPs of AK.
AK380 cu + Amp AK380cu : is not the perfect one but for the moment, it remains better of all their possible combinaison. The SP1000 cu is on its way and it will be far different from the normal SP1000; by Bringing something good which is not in normal SP1000 and bringing some others lacks compaired to the normal SP1000.
The next generation after SP1000 will be the Fruit of maturation in terms of nomade DAP and AMP for AK. But who will accept to wait until that ?
I'm keeping and enjoying my Cu combo AK380".
sam

The AK380 has nothing to my ear thats better than the SP1000, I will have to respectfully disagree with you. The SP1000 has gobs of resolution, is in every way better in the overall UI experience. We can disagree what your sound Sig Q preference is, but a better DAP overall, mhm no way.
I'm still listening and getting to know it, but so far I like everything more than my AK380 CU.

Last edited:
Jul 8, 2017 at 4:45 PM Post #729 of 9,433
Agree, I am afraid that the SS may be too bright, and I should may be have waited for the Cu version... time will telll.
BUT, kept in mind that you can always make the sound warmer by choosing the appropriate cable & headphone....
..or amp perhaps more likely. I will go with the copper Still cannot expect from the Copper that it will be like "day-and-night" anyway. one thing is for sure though the details are top-notch

Last edited:
Jul 8, 2017 at 4:48 PM Post #730 of 9,433
and did you tried Optical-out of the SP1000 into the NAGRA ? How does it sound ?
I tried, but I am not a fan of optical. Basically it works, but the quality cannot be compared with USB. I mean when I use the USB out of the AK380 it is comparable with the Microrendu, but optical out is inferior. BTW I remember that you asked some time ago about AKCONNECT 2.0. and the difference with 1.0. According to me 2.0 is faster and you can search, which was not possible with 1.0. Besides this not much difference.

Jul 8, 2017 at 5:32 PM Post #731 of 9,433
I tried, but I am not a fan of optical. Basically it works, but the quality cannot be compared with USB. I mean when I use the USB out of the AK380 it is comparable with the Microrendu, but optical out is inferior. BTW I remember that you asked some time ago about AKCONNECT 2.0. and the difference with 1.0. According to me 2.0 is faster and you can search, which was not possible with 1.0. Besides this not much difference.

A lot depends upon the optical transmitter and receiver and the cable. Many daps, even expensive, use cheap optical parts, unfortunately.

Jul 8, 2017 at 5:34 PM Post #732 of 9,433
..or amp perhaps more likely....

agree. A nice small portable tube amp like the ALO V5 will help.

Let's hope ALO will come with a balanced version of the V5 (without DAC inside)

Last edited:
Jul 8, 2017 at 6:08 PM Post #733 of 9,433
..or amp perhaps more likely. I will go with the copper Still cannot expect from the Copper that it will be like "day-and-night" anyway
I am sure that it all depends on the headphone. In Munich I tried both SP1000 models with my KSE1500 and with this in-ear the SS was far superior to the CU version, more detail, wider soundstage and depth, without sounding aggressive at all. With the CU version I lost the magic and probably would not have upgraded from my AK380. Now that I own the SP1000 SS, I still believe it is correct what I heard in Munich. With my HE1000 it still sounds better than my 380 (not CU), but maybe the SP1000 CU would be a better match with the HE1000. I can certainly imagine that with certain headphones the CU version would be a better match. In the mean time I tried my TH900 in balanced mode with the SP1000 and I think it is also a very good match, plenty of details, more than HE1000, although smaller sound stage, never aggressive.

Jul 8, 2017 at 11:01 PM Post #734 of 9,433
So let me start by the units build quality and UI….
The build quality is fantastic, it feels substantial, its much easier to hold in the hand with less sharp edges as their previous flagship (AK380), the fit and finish definently screams high end.
Its really a beautiful looking player I know looks are subjective but I really do love the look and in my opinion the best looking DAP player ever created.

press button down and you fire it up, it boots fast, more than twice as fast as I remember the AK380 booting, the UI is lighting fast and a lot better to navigate a huge improvement, the 8 cores really help speed every aspect of the player app. transferring files was a bit faster but still long to fill the player in its entirety using a Mac. If anyone can help with either a cable or instructions on how I can maximize the transfer rate speeds I would really appreciate you.

the Albums and songs are beautifully rendered and the 5” screen is bright and has great color saturation a really true upgrade from the AK380. the volume wheel feels excellent to use and the crown is easy to use, pushing in once wakes it to the main screen

I didn’t play with the EQ, I never really cared about the implementation anyway, what I did use almost exclusively was the PROEQ setting on the CU, and from my memory the EQ in pro mode always seemed to be the louder option versus the flat EQ setting. this time though the flat setting seems to be the louder option vs the PROEQ alternative .

I really need more time to listen and give more detailed sound impressions, but I can say this DAP has gobs of resolution detail retrieval and YES IT IS a little brighter than the CU. The SP1000 renders the music with clearer more detailed and wider soundstage than I remember the AK380 every being.
So far I have listened using for very short periods the following cans:
Angie II unbalanced, Oppo PM3 and the Massdrop 6XX (HD650) unbalanced as well.
I found the best synergy so far coming from the Angie II and the HD6xx, the Oppo 3 funny enough which had the best synergy with the AK380 CU does not pair well with the SP1000 in my early listening session.
I’m very happy with the SP1000 and consider it a true upgrade from the AK380 CU. i will offer more impressions soon once I get my balanced cables and adapters… I leave you all with a few photos.

IMG_0496.JPG IMG_0496.JPG IMG_0516.JPG IMG_0521.JPG IMG_0524.JPG IMG_6643.jpg IMG_6645.JPG IMG_6657.JPG IMG_6673.JPG

Jul 9, 2017 at 12:44 AM Post #735 of 9,433
Thanks for your review and congrats.
Does the player come with a completely empty storage or already with some albums on hard drive?

In hands, It is indeed a piece of truly high-end-audio design. Hands down the best portable player I've seen but the way one of that league is supposed to be. Perhaps it is simply the FIRST high-end portable player ever made. All the rest feel and look like toys.

That's why I am not going to hide its beauty in that leather case, or any other case. No way. It is like wearing nice wrist watch in a "protective" case or headphones haha

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back