New TOL A&K DAP : the AK Ultima SP1000
Jul 14, 2017 at 7:50 AM Post #841 of 9,411
You think those people are dumb enough to just buy into something that don't bring about any affects ?

Honestly, I think yes, but it is not a matter of being dumb. You cannot tell me there is not at least a little bit of placebo and confirmation bias in this hobby. I accept it, but you cannot say : so many people are buying all the crap marketing arguments brands are selling, and they are techies, so it must be true...

Jul 14, 2017 at 10:20 AM Post #842 of 9,411
I would agree with you if I didn't hear both versions of the AK380, aluminum and copper. I had extensive experience with both models... by accident. Long story short, I bought the aluminum version and the amp, but the amp blew after several months. They were not able to fix it and offered an upgrade for the copper player and amp. The difference in sq was significant for the difference in price, much fuller and lush sound without any loss in detail, layering, and sound stage. If I can hear it, I am sure most can. I say significant for the price, because if the copper version was more than twice the aluminum, as in wm1a and z, I would say not significant for the price. But for $500, I would make the same choice again. I am waiting for the copper version of sp1000 to upgrade. I know, can't make sense out of it scientifically. However, hearing is believing! Cheers~
How did you blow the amp? Did you drive it too hard, or was it faulty? I just acquired an ak300/ak amp setup, and I think it has more slam than the sp1000. The 1000 wins out on the finer Hi-Fi traits of resolution, layering , imaging, and overall finesse. I think it's just missing out on a more powerful amp section.

Jul 14, 2017 at 10:22 AM Post #843 of 9,411
Honestly, I think yes, but it is not a matter of being dumb. You cannot tell me there is not at least a little bit of placebo and confirmation bias in this hobby. I accept it, but you cannot say : so many people are buying all the crap marketing arguments brands are selling, and they are techies, so it must be true...
+1
Headfi is full of misinformation and unsubstantiated opinions....including, on occasion, from me. It goes part and parcel with being an audiophile. It's like religion.

Jul 14, 2017 at 11:12 AM Post #844 of 9,411
How did you blow the amp? Did you drive it too hard, or was it faulty? I just acquired an ak300/ak amp setup, and I think it has more slam than the sp1000. The 1000 wins out on the finer Hi-Fi traits of resolution, layering , imaging, and overall finesse. I think it's just missing out on a more powerful amp section.

Not sure but the amp just stopped charging one day. My guess is from trying to charge it in my car not using the charger with recommended specs... could be something else, manufacturing defect maybe.:face_palm: I was very sad but was a blessing in disguise because I ended up getting the copper dap and amp, much better than the aluminum ones.

Jul 14, 2017 at 11:16 AM Post #845 of 9,411
Not sure but the amp just stopped charging one day. My guess is from trying to charge it in my car not using the charger with recommended specs... could be something else, manufacturing defect maybe.:face_palm: I was very sad but was a blessing in disguise because I ended up getting the copper dap and amp, much better than the aluminum ones.
Kudos! :)

Jul 14, 2017 at 12:48 PM Post #847 of 9,411
I am really shocked when I hear these reports of the SP1000 being thin sounding and not musical. I have been listening to one for a couple of weeks now and right since the get-go I was blown away by how warm and musical it was - I even initially used the term tube-like and I stick by that. It does have tons of resolution - amazing - but I also find it full bodied and lush. I have only used JHA Laylas with it though,

On Sunday I will have to try other earphones at Canjam to see if I can experience what is being said.

+1

I compared my SP1000 with the WMZ1 for several days, and honestly nothing to envy in the lush department. The main difference is the WMZ1 I would say is rolled off in the 8K-10K region, maybe 2-3db.

Last edited:
Jul 14, 2017 at 7:32 PM Post #850 of 9,411
Impressions part II

Well, things always sound different when you are listening to somebody else's SP1000 versus you own, even when it's the same physical unit LOL.

My first impression was at no burn in and honestly can't remember what my Layla bass dials were set at. Now with about 250 hours of burn in, and Laylas at 12:30 on the bass modules I would modify my initial impression with the following:
  • Bass is very nicely layered. Nice extension into sub bass and no dreaded mid bass hump. Even though Laylas are BA drivers, there is just a slight liquidity to bass that gives it an analog flavor.
  • Mids - like other Layla owners have commented, nice warm and lush presentation but not too much. I think this has more to do with the Laylas though.
  • Highs - after fiddling around with the bass module, I found a good balance that let's me play at a volume level that let the treble extend without over powering lows. Much better than initial listening which I thought was slightly rolled off. I'd say darn near perfect for my tastes.
  • Micro details - really good balance of fine details without any glare or fatigue. Still short of my R2R DAC can do but you really have to listen for the nuances. I only mention my desktop DAC because it actually cost less than an SP1000, even with a $700 i2S convertor added to the bill!
  • Transients - I would say good but not great. Really complex passages get a bit blurred in the lower mids and I picture the amp section laboring a bit here (think Porcupine Tree, Blackest Eyes opening passage). "Fast" just doesn't come to mind here, but no where near slow either. Connecting my ALO CDM gets it to great. Still I wouldn't stack for my portable needs.
It's still weird to my ears that the SP1000 SS with Layla sound more organic and smooth versus Laylas with AK380CU+Amp. I'm still interested in trying a SP1000 CU just out of curiosity, but my initial reaction still remains - I think it would be too warm and dark for my tastes.

Note - As a reference point, I did not love the Mojo because I thought the lower mid to upper bass was a little too warm and treble was a bit rolled off. Just how my ears are tuned I guess. I think Hugo 2 would have been more to my liking, but it would require stacking. My SP1000 will stayed married to my Laylas for the foreseeable future.

Jul 14, 2017 at 7:40 PM Post #851 of 9,411
foreseeable future means for now ? Im waiting for its external amp.

Jul 14, 2017 at 7:51 PM Post #852 of 9,411
foreseeable future means for now ? Im waiting for its external amp.

LOL, I think I mean for a long time. I've tried all manner of portable configuration since I fly about 75-100K miles a year. I am done with stacking and I am done with full-size headphones for travel. I've gone separate discrete desktop setup for home. For my office I use the SP1000 with CDM and even there, I don't think I need CDM, but since I already have it, why not. Plus I managed to but a nice desktop stacking design together pictured below. Not pictured - all the back cables for CDM and the charging cable connected to the CDM. The balanced to balanced cable is a custom made one from Headphonelounge.com. I have it connected to an iFi iUSB to my MacBook Pro and it works great in DAC mode. Even with the USB 2.0 from the iFi, it does not drain battery during playing and even charges if the battery is below 100% - slowly though.

IMG_1122.jpg

IMG_1121.jpg

IMG_1120.jpg

Jul 14, 2017 at 7:56 PM Post #854 of 9,411
So did you review sp1000 out of Alo ?

Briefly back a couple pages. Since I made my own tube set with impossible to find Telefunken 5719, I kept it brief. Really pairs well and compliments the ALO house sound - clean and dynamic. More importantly, you have to connect the USB port of the CDM to the same USB hub of the SP1000 so you don't get a ground loop. It's hum city otherwise.

Jul 17, 2017 at 1:43 PM Post #855 of 9,411
I am really shocked when I hear these reports of the SP1000 being thin sounding and not musical. I have been listening to one for a couple of weeks now and right since the get-go I was blown away by how warm and musical it was - I even initially used the term tube-like and I stick by that. It does have tons of resolution - amazing - but I also find it full bodied and lush. I have only used JHA Laylas with it though,

On Sunday I will have to try other earphones at Canjam to see if I can experience what is being said.
I wouldn't describe the SP1000 as being thin sounding per se, but it certainly has a leaner tonality than most other DAPs on the market. Hence, the impression that it sounds "thin". I prefer to call it supremely detailed and clean.

With that said, I find the SP1000 to pair best with fuller-sounding IEMs, such as the Zeus XIV and the Kaiser 10. They complement each other well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back