New TOL A&K DAP : the AK Ultima SP1000
Jul 13, 2017 at 5:59 AM Post #811 of 9,411
I would like to start some sort of pool:

Based on the SP1000 Sound signature AND relatively low output power,

- What is THE BEST Full size headphone for the SP1000 (money no object)
- What is THE BEST IEM for the SP1000 (money no object)

I already read that the Focal UTOPIA is a winners with the SP1000 and I can report, after intensive listening with the SP1000, that the SHURE KSE1500 IEM is also a total winners

what are your experiences ?

My current goto IEM is Dita Dream balanced excellent pairing.

Jul 13, 2017 at 9:38 AM Post #813 of 9,411
I listened to the sp1000 for about 30 minutes. Very first impression is of a leaner thinner kind of signature, with very fine and resolving highs. I would try head/earphones with a warmer tilt for best results.

Jul 13, 2017 at 9:45 AM Post #814 of 9,411
I listened to the sp1000 for about 30 minutes. Very first impression is of a leaner thinner kind of signature, with very fine and resolving highs. I would try head/earphones with a warmer tilt for best results.

Agree 100%. "leaner & thiner" is the perfect description of what I feel.

The SP1000 is indeed more resolving, which is a big plus, but... also it sounds thinner. So, my curent headphones which were perfect with my MOJO do not sound good anymore. So, I will have to find other "fuller" headphones or adjust the sound with the cables (I tried the EQ, and... did not like the result at all !? )

--> Do other here also experience that their headphone which sounded OK with their previous DAP now sound "lean & thin" ?

PS: how the LCD-i4 sound with the SP1000 ? thin or.. OK :wink:

Last edited:
Jul 13, 2017 at 10:06 AM Post #815 of 9,411

The SP1000 is indeed more resolving, which is a big plus, but... also it sounds thinner. So, my curent headphones which were perfect with my MOJO do not sound good anymore. So, I will have to find other "fuller" headphones or adjust the sound with the cables (I tried the EQ, and... did not like the result at all !? )

--> Do other here also experience that their headphone which sounded OK with their previous DAP now sound "lean & thin" ?

Enjoy your new shoes, opps I mean shopping spree.

Jul 13, 2017 at 10:09 AM Post #816 of 9,411

The SP is a detail and resolution monster. I would describe it as supremely analytical and not warm and musical. I would steer clear of this player if you're looking for a mojo, or idsd micro bl type sound. It's not as thin sounding as an iPod touch or even the ak70, but I was expecting an all round fuller sound for the huge money. I think it's probably not possible to get a huge sound out of something so thin and small. Just due to the limitations of electronic engineering.

Jul 13, 2017 at 4:49 PM Post #819 of 9,411
Received those three SD reader to test with the SP1000.

2 to be connected on the Micro-SD card reader and 1 to be connected on the USB-c port....

Tests will be done soon.

I hope some 1 Tb SD cards will be soon available :ksc75smile:

Lecteurs SD.jpg

Lecteurs SD court.jpg

Last edited:
Jul 13, 2017 at 4:49 PM Post #820 of 9,411
I only heard the silver version. I've heard the only difference between the 2 models is the outer shell. The internals are exactly the same. I would imagine any differences in perceived sq are down to expectation bias.

What Happened to AK380 vs Copper 380 vs Stainless Steel ? Were they tuned different ? Or were the differences due to Copper chassis being the different materials ?

Jul 13, 2017 at 5:03 PM Post #821 of 9,411
What Happened to AK380 vs Copper 380 vs Stainless Steel ? Were they tuned different ? Or were the differences due to Copper chassis being the different materials ?

They all have identical hardware and firmware. This has been independently confirmed by some well respected Headfi members who opened up their actual DAPs. RWA confirmed as well back when Vinnie was still doing the RWAK mods.

Jul 13, 2017 at 5:06 PM Post #822 of 9,411
They all have identical hardware and firmware. This has been independently confirmed by some well respected Headfi members who opened up their actual DAPs. RWA confirmed as well back when Vinnie was still doing the RWAK mods.

So, it is either the sound differences were caused by the Software tweak, or by the Chassis materials themselves. There is no way to not have the differences because people hear them

Jul 13, 2017 at 5:08 PM Post #824 of 9,411

Users who are viewing this thread

Back