New TOL A&K DAP : the AK Ultima SP1000
Jul 12, 2017 at 1:07 PM Post #796 of 9,406
All you would need to know is that AK4497 is the Flagship from AKM with the highest dynamic range in the line up. Sabres also has newer flagship which is currently the king of Dynamic range for DAC chip in the industry. It has a whooping 140Db dynamic range if run mono, and about 128 or so if run in stereo, and it is the ES9038Pro

Then, next up, it is not the matters about the DAC alone, which is equally important is the implementations, the supporting components, the power supplied....etc. However, DAC itself is an easier term for marketing the players :)

Different people prefer different DAC as they believe different DAC carry different sound signature, which is correct to a degree

I actually ignored the new measured specs. In my mind, I have no idea how I would be able the enjoy 140 dB of dynamic range without literally killing myself. Like you say, these are just "bigger and faster" specs and the implementation matters at the end of the day. My comment about "big upgrade" was purely in context of RWA. I fully trust that Vinnie Rossi doesn't upgrade his DAC chips just because they measure better and for pure marketing purposes. When AK announces new DAC chips, my reaction is "so what?". But when RWA announces the same, my reaction is "whoa!".

Having said all that, I would not recommend anyone buying the SP1000 purely on the basis that the DAC chips are AK4497. I also think AK can step up their game with user selectable filters and NOS mode since RWA offers that on the new LIO DAC 2.0 module that is priced similarly.

Jul 12, 2017 at 1:20 PM Post #797 of 9,406
I actually ignored the new measured specs. In my mind, I have no idea how I would be able the enjoy 140 dB of dynamic range without literally killing myself. Like you say, these are just "bigger and faster" specs and the implementation matters at the end of the day. My comment about "big upgrade" was purely in context of RWA. I fully trust that Vinnie Rossi doesn't upgrade his DAC chips just because they measure better and for pure marketing purposes. When AK announces new DAC chips, my reaction is "so what?". But when RWA announces the same, my reaction is "whoa!".

Having said all that, I would not recommend anyone buying the SP1000 purely on the basis that the DAC chips are AK4497. I also think AK can step up their game with user selectable filters and NOS mode since RWA offers that on the new LIO DAC 2.0 module that is priced similarly.

I do think that AKM did improve the filters and user selectable modes with the new DAC. The question is whether A&K would implement this feature and allow user to do it in their own is another matter

Jul 12, 2017 at 1:23 PM Post #798 of 9,406
I do think that AKM did improve the filters and user selectable modes with the new DAC. The question is whether A&K would implement this feature and allow user to do it in their own is another matter

It will be GREAT to be able to fine tune the sound to one's liking, like HUGO2 allow with it's selectable filters....

Jul 12, 2017 at 4:03 PM Post #799 of 9,406
Thank you for the welcome. We are working on a providing a better presence here on Head-Fi to answer any questions or concerns of members with regards to AK products.
Hello Jason,
I am glad you came here in just right time because I have two questions that are very important to me right now.
I will explain. I paid for a copper SP1000 but I am not sure if I can wait for it much longer until it hits the US market. I am thinking of getting the Stainless Steel SP1000 instead of the Copper one but before I finally decide I would really need your sincere answers to these two questions please:

Question-1: Can you tell please when in July (the exact date if known) the Astell&Kern US store will start shiping the COPPER SP1000 (to those of us-buyers who has already pre-ordered it?

Question-2: Is there really ANY difference in the sound (quality or signature) between Copper SP1000 and Stainless Steel SP1000? or both versions are made (and tuned, etc) absolutely identically and the only difference is in their body material (copper / s.steel) but the sound signature is exactly the same?

Last edited:
Jul 12, 2017 at 4:38 PM Post #800 of 9,406
Hello Jason,
I am glad you came here in just right time because I have two questions that are very important to me right now.
I will explain. I paid for a copper SP1000 but I am not sure if I can wait for it much longer until it hits the US market. I am thinking of getting the Stainless Steel SP1000 instead of the Copper one but before I finally decide I would really need your sincere answers to these two questions please:

Question-1: Can you tell please when in July (the exact date if known) the Astell&Kern US store will start shiping the COPPER SP1000 (to those of us-buyers who has already pre-ordered it?

Question-2: Is there really ANY difference in the sound (quality or signature) between Copper SP1000 and Stainless Steel SP1000? or both versions are made (and tuned, etc) absolutely identically and the only difference is in their body material (copper / s.steel) but the sound signature is exactly the same?

1. Current estimated shipping date for the SP1000 Copper pre-orders is end of July. That could always be delayed because of customs, etc. Sometimes it takes a day to clear customs, sometimes a week, so we unfortunately cannot say an exact date until we receive the customs clearance notification. I may have a better update Friday of this week or early next week.

2. Both the SP1000 Stainless Steel and Copper are identical except for the body material used. Both are tuned exactly the same and the sound signature is pretty much the same on both. A few people who demoed both in Munich and at the LA Audio Show seemed to think the Copper sounded a little warmer than the Stainless Steel, but most didn't hear a difference between the two.

If you ordered from the Astell&Kern US e-store, feel free to PM me your order number and I can follow up on it.

Astell&Kern Stay updated on Astell&Kern at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/astellnkern/ https://twitter.com/astell_kern https://www.instagram.com/astellnkern.official/ https://astellnkern.com astellnkern@astellnkern.com
Jul 12, 2017 at 5:01 PM Post #801 of 9,406
Thanks Jason! I'll difinately PM you my order# when I get home from work. The only reason why I went for the copper SP1000 is because I've heard from others that its sound is a bit "warmer" then the S.Steel version. But if there is really no difference in their sound, I could go with with the Stainless Steel with no problem. Still like the copper look a bit better and if I could get the copper one in Seattle before 29 of July that would be awesome. Because on July 29 I am leaving Seattle and going to Europe for 4-6 months. So if I cannot get the copper one before 29, I will ask the S.Steel to be shipped to me instead. Not a big deal as it looks great too, just a bit not exactly what I initially paid for =) but who knows maybe I will get lucky and will get the copper one before 29! For this I am planing to upgrade my shipping method to "UPS next-day delivery"($60) to Seattle. This way if they ship on 27-th I will receive it before 29-th (it is pretty much "end of July"=)

Last edited:
Jul 12, 2017 at 5:25 PM Post #802 of 9,406
I would like to start some sort of pool:

Based on the SP1000 Sound signature AND relatively low output power,

- What is THE BEST Full size headphone for the SP1000 (money no object)
- What is THE BEST IEM for the SP1000 (money no object)

I already read that the Focal UTOPIA is a winners with the SP1000 and I can report, after intensive listening with the SP1000, that the SHURE KSE1500 IEM is also a total winners

what are your experiences ?

Jul 12, 2017 at 5:58 PM Post #803 of 9,406
Firmware updates from Astell&Kern will never change the sound characteristics of the player. We use firmware updates to improve user experience, fix bugs, make improvements to existing functions or to add new features.

Welcome Jason. It was because of the customer service and questions I was able to get answered through the AK customer service group that helped me finalize my recent purchase of the SP1000. Tell the team to keep up the great work.

Jul 12, 2017 at 6:02 PM Post #804 of 9,406

I already read that the Focal UTOPIA is a winners with the SP1000 and I can report, after intensive listening with the SP1000, that the SHURE KSE1500 IEM is also a total winners

I wish I would have been able to try both of those, however the UE 18+ Pro sounds phenomenal with the SP1000 coupled with the DHC cables I have. Additionally the HD800 sounds phenominal as well, on the brighter side of things here though.

Jul 12, 2017 at 6:25 PM Post #805 of 9,406
Thanks Jason! I'll difinately PM you my order# when I get home from work. The only reason why I went for the copper SP1000 is because I've heard from others that its sound is a bit "warmer" then the S.Steel version. But if there is really no difference in their sound, I could go with with the Stainless Steel with no problem. Still like the copper look a bit better and if I could get the copper one in Seattle before 29 of July that would be awesome. Because on July 29 I am leaving Seattle and going to Europe for 4-6 months. So if I cannot get the copper one before 29, I will ask the S.Steel to be shipped to me instead. Not a big deal as it looks great too, just a bit not exactly what I initially paid for =) but who knows maybe I will get lucky and will get the copper one before 29! For this I am planing to upgrade my shipping method to "UPS next-day delivery"($60) to Seattle. This way if they ship on 27-th I will receive it before 29-th (it is pretty much "end of July"=)

I tried polishing my AK380CU 3 times and it was 3 times too many and I hate seeing tarnished copper. Although fresh polish made the CU look like a piece of art, I really hated how messy the process is and the fact that it all goes away after a week. The new SP1000 is suppose to have some type of coating, but I saw the official AK response on their website where you eventually have to polish it. It's not anodized like the Sony WMA1z. If the difference in sound is really that subtle, I would totally go for SS version and save yourself $60. That was a major decision point for me.

This is from their Q&A section on the AK website:

"The Copper version of the SP1000 will come with a clearcoat to resist oxidation, but as the Copper alloy is susceptible to oxidation and tarnishing, regular cleaning with a Copper alloy cleaner is what we can suggest."

Last edited:
Jul 12, 2017 at 7:05 PM Post #806 of 9,406

Yes there are only 3 Headphones and 3 IN EARS that sounds in my opinion really great with Sp1000

FOCAL UTOPIA (BALANCED)
HD800S(BALANCED ENOUGH POWER,UNBALANCED NOT ENOUGH POWER)
K812 with 3D MESH

IEMS
KSE1500
ORIOLUS MK2 BALANCED
MELLIANUS BALANCED(and i think this Bird will be a big surprice in the future for many here!)

NOMAX

Last edited:
Jul 12, 2017 at 10:09 PM Post #807 of 9,406
Firmware updates from Astell&Kern will never change the sound characteristics of the player. We use firmware updates to improve user experience, fix bugs, make improvements to existing functions or to add new features.

Well that just proves the member claiming "tube sound" like change after update is imagining it...

Jul 13, 2017 at 1:39 AM Post #809 of 9,406
Yes there are only 3 Headphones and 3 IN EARS that sounds in my opinion really great with Sp1000

FOCAL UTOPIA (BALANCED)
HD800S(BALANCED ENOUGH POWER,UNBALANCED NOT ENOUGH POWER)
K812 with 3D MESH

IEMS
KSE1500
ORIOLUS MK2 BALANCED
MELLIANUS BALANCED(and i think this Bird will be a big surprice in the future for many here!)

NOMAX

JHA Laylas sound awesome too. Will be trying the Audeze iSine IEMs at the weekend

Jul 13, 2017 at 3:26 AM Post #810 of 9,406
JHA Laylas sound awesome too. Will be trying the Audeze iSine IEMs at the weekend

Spot on. Though my KSE1500 wow me every time, my favourites are my Layla II. I just can´t resist their sweet, oh so sweet siren like sound...... :ksc75smile:
Tomorrow, I´ll get my new FI-BA-SST25. I´m so curious how they compare against the rest of my IEMs.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back