New TOL A&K DAP : the AK Ultima SP1000
Jul 13, 2017 at 6:44 PM Post #826 of 9,406
What Happened to AK380 vs Copper 380 vs Stainless Steel ? Were they tuned different ? Or were the differences due to Copper chassis being the different materials ?
The AK380/AK380 Copper/AK380SS are all tuned the same and use the same internal components. Since Astell&Kern uses the whole body of the player as a ground for internal circuitry, the type of material used makes a difference. The difference comes from the different conductivities of each material.

The sound signature is different on the Copper and Stainless Steel vs. the duralumin AK380 because Copper and SS are a better metal for grounding, thus affecting the sound that is produced from each vs an aluminum-bodied unit. There is a bit of a sound signature difference between the Stainless Steel and Copper, but it's not as big of a difference when going from aluminum to Copper/SS. The differences between those different material bodies are quite subtle, but definitely exist.

As I mentioned in a previous comment, our experience from shows is that some do hear a noticeable difference between the two SP1000 players, so do not. Some feel the Copper has a warmer sound than the Stainless Steel. Both have the same components and are tuned the same.

Of course, like anything with music, what sounds good or different to one person, another person will have a completely different experience. We encourage people to try to take a listen for themselves to find what fits best for them and their sound preference.

Astell&Kern Stay updated on Astell&Kern at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/astellnkern/ https://twitter.com/astell_kern https://www.instagram.com/astellnkern.official/ https://astellnkern.com astellnkern@astellnkern.com
Jul 13, 2017 at 7:25 PM Post #827 of 9,406
The AK380/AK380 Copper/AK380SS are all tuned the same and use the same internal components. Since Astell&Kern uses the whole body of the player as a ground for internal circuitry, the type of material used makes a difference. The difference comes from the different conductivities of each material.

The sound signature is different on the Copper and Stainless Steel vs. the duralumin AK380 because Copper and SS are a better metal for grounding, thus affecting the sound that is produced from each vs an aluminum-bodied unit. There is a bit of a sound signature difference between the Stainless Steel and Copper, but it's not as big of a difference when going from aluminum to Copper/SS. The differences between those different material bodies are quite subtle, but definitely exist.

As I mentioned in a previous comment, our experience from shows is that some do hear a noticeable difference between the two SP1000 players, so do not. Some feel the Copper has a warmer sound than the Stainless Steel. Both have the same components and are tuned the same.

Of course, like anything with music, what sounds good or different to one person, another person will have a completely different experience. We encourage people to try to take a listen for themselves to find what fits best for them and their sound preference.
Do you not conduct blind listening tests between the units to see if there is indeed a real difference in sq?

Jul 13, 2017 at 7:31 PM Post #828 of 9,406

Nice marketing, unfortunately not backed up by any decent physics/data. The audio signal should NEVER ever see the chassis (chassis is there for electrical grounding/safety), so I don't get at all how you can say that.
The day you can actually show data to sustain such claim, I will apologize here for doubting A&K engineers greatness.

There's absolutely no possible analogy with an acoustic music instrument, whose material has to transmit vibrations (=analogue signal) to produce sound, and can thus strongly affect the result.

There is no need for such claims to sell your high-end DAPs (I have a AK380 and just love it), and charging extra for SS or copper is logical since they're more expensive materials and harder to manufacture than duralumin.

Even with awesome manufacturing standards and quality check, small sonic differences could very well be explained by manufacturing variability alone (and that is coming from a humble Research manager designing expensive medical devices for a living).

Last edited:
Jul 13, 2017 at 8:50 PM Post #829 of 9,406
Nice marketing, unfortunately not backed up by any decent physics/data. The audio signal should NEVER ever see the chassis (chassis is there for electrical grounding/safety), so I don't get at all how you can say that.
The day you can actually show data to sustain such claim, I will apologize here for doubting A&K engineers greatness.

There's absolutely no possible analogy with an acoustic music instrument, whose material has to transmit vibrations (=analogue signal) to produce sound, and can thus strongly affect the result.

No offenses but..

Let me Wikipedia "ground" for you

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ground_(electricity)

Would the effect be so pronounced ? Who knows, but there is definitely different conductivity between metals. Sony WM1Z also use this fancy chassis but with different components

Last edited:
Jul 13, 2017 at 11:48 PM Post #831 of 9,406
Hi guys
Does anyone comparison Dx200 MANGO os and AK PS 1000 or AK380 copper version with Amp ?
Because I recently discovered MANGO os :wink: ,The difference I heard was significant , Especially Image and soundstage with great resolution background was BLACK .use 2.5 balance Amp 1

Thanks

Jul 14, 2017 at 2:55 AM Post #832 of 9,406
The SP is a detail and resolution monster. I would describe it as supremely analytical and not warm and musical. I would steer clear of this player if you're looking for a mojo, or idsd micro bl type sound. It's not as thin sounding as an iPod touch or even the ak70, but I was expecting an all round fuller sound for the huge money. I think it's probably not possible to get a huge sound out of something so thin and small. Just due to the limitations of electronic engineering.

I am really shocked when I hear these reports of the SP1000 being thin sounding and not musical. I have been listening to one for a couple of weeks now and right since the get-go I was blown away by how warm and musical it was - I even initially used the term tube-like and I stick by that. It does have tons of resolution - amazing - but I also find it full bodied and lush. I have only used JHA Laylas with it though,

On Sunday I will have to try other earphones at Canjam to see if I can experience what is being said.

Jul 14, 2017 at 3:24 AM Post #833 of 9,406
You
I am really shocked when I hear these reports of the SP1000 being thin sounding and not musical. I have been listening to one for a couple of weeks now and right since the get-go I was blown away by how warm and musical it was - I even initially used the term tube-like and I stick by that. It does have tons of resolution - amazing - but I also find it full bodied and lush. I have only used JHA Laylas with it though,

On Sunday I will have to try other earphones at Canjam to see if I can experience what is being said.
You may be right. I only had 30 minutes with a demo unit. To me, it didn't have the body of sound like the Mojo or idsd BL is capable of.

Jul 14, 2017 at 5:53 AM Post #834 of 9,406

+1

Jul 14, 2017 at 6:44 AM Post #837 of 9,406

There is no need for such claims to sell your high-end DAPs (I have a AK380 and just love it), and charging extra for SS or copper is logical since they're more expensive materials and harder to manufacture than duralumin.

Even with awesome manufacturing standards and quality check, small sonic differences could very well be explained by manufacturing variability alone (and that is coming from a humble Research manager designing expensive medical devices for a living).

I would agree with you if I didn't hear both versions of the AK380, aluminum and copper. I had extensive experience with both models... by accident. Long story short, I bought the aluminum version and the amp, but the amp blew after several months. They were not able to fix it and offered an upgrade for the copper player and amp. The difference in sq was significant for the difference in price, much fuller and lush sound without any loss in detail, layering, and sound stage. If I can hear it, I am sure most can. I say significant for the price, because if the copper version was more than twice the aluminum, as in wm1a and z, I would say not significant for the price. But for $500, I would make the same choice again. I am waiting for the copper version of sp1000 to upgrade. I know, can't make sense out of it scientifically. However, hearing is believing! Cheers~

Jul 14, 2017 at 6:49 AM Post #839 of 9,406
Say, is the wm1z worth the price difference compared to the "a" model? I am loving my Z1R and considering a sony dap.
That's a though one to answer.

Sure, 2000USD price difference is too much, but on the other hand WM1Z sounds amazing. "Diminishing returns" I guess..

Meanwhile, considering Z1R is a warm and full bodied headphone, WM1A might be better in your case with a thinner response.

Last edited:
Jul 14, 2017 at 7:15 AM Post #840 of 9,406
I would agree with you if I didn't hear both versions of the AK380, aluminum and copper. I had extensive experience with both models... by accident. Long story short, I bought the aluminum version and the amp, but the amp blew after several months. They were not able to fix it and offered an upgrade for the copper player and amp. The difference in sq was significant for the difference in price, much fuller and lush sound without any loss in detail, layering, and sound stage. If I can hear it, I am sure most can. I say significant for the price, because if the copper version was more than twice the aluminum, as in wm1a and z, I would say not significant for the price. But for $500, I would make the same choice again. I am waiting for the copper version of sp1000 to upgrade. I know, can't make sense out of it scientifically. However, hearing is believing! Cheers~

No, Sony already explained it. The grounding on electrical devices is the return point of electricity. Better conductive materials will bring lower resistance and allow better current flow. Sony had been saying this since Zx2. The WM1Z took this one up a notch by using more quality components inside. However, SP1000 has the same build across all editions, but you just can't complain, because there are no pricing differences. Not too sure about 380copper, but SP1000 have the same pricing, and WM1Z is 3x the price of WM1A....both has similar copper goldplated ground inner shielding, but WM1Z has thicker chassis with copper and goldplated together with better resistors and Capacitors. Sony also disclosed that Zx1 used Brass for grounding and it sounds were harsh in comparison to Zx2 which used copper-goldplated.

Everything effects sound quality, especially conductivity and resistances. This is as far as science can explain, there are no myths. The same as cables and wires, upgraded cables for headphones and IEMS usually has thicker wires in sizes (better conducting), using more pure materials (UPOCC is more conductive than OFC)....etc...etc....this is as far as science can explain. Oh and those braided wires....each knots will act like a miniature Capacitors, and what It does ?

Remember, there are many hardcore enthusiasts, and some of them having expertise in sciences, electrical, engineering....etc...etc....and there are still a huge market for high-end, cables, wires, plugs, together with gears. You think people rob the banks to get these money to spend ? You think those people are dumb enough to just buy into something that don't bring about any affects ?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back