New TOL A&K DAP : the AK Ultima SP1000
Jul 17, 2017 at 1:46 PM Post #856 of 9,406
LOL, I think I mean for a long time. I've tried all manner of portable configuration since I fly about 75-100K miles a year. I am done with stacking and I am done with full-size headphones for travel. I've gone separate discrete desktop setup for home. For my office I use the SP1000 with CDM and even there, I don't think I need CDM, but since I already have it, why not. Plus I managed to but a nice desktop stacking design together pictured below. Not pictured - all the back cables for CDM and the charging cable connected to the CDM. The balanced to balanced cable is a custom made one from Headphonelounge.com. I have it connected to an iFi iUSB to my MacBook Pro and it works great in DAC mode. Even with the USB 2.0 from the iFi, it does not drain battery during playing and even charges if the battery is below 100% - slowly though.

Nice solution to the docking problem. :)

I find the CDM to pair very well with the SP1000. With the stock tubes, it adds some body and a touch of warmth to the overall sound. And this is on stock tubes.

Jul 17, 2017 at 2:06 PM Post #857 of 9,406
A few days ago, I had the chance to compare the SP1000 SS with my AK380Cu + Cu amp at home. The AK380Cu amp was set at low gain in order to equalize their power (both app. 2 Vrms unbalanced, 4 Vrms balanced). Firmware on the SP1000 was 1.03. My main headphones are the Utopia and HD800S. I was not able to detect a real QUALITY difference between these units, just a slightly different tonality. Compared to the AK380Cu combo, the SP1000 had a bit less bass, more weight in the lower mids and less in the presence area. The SP1000 sounded slightly more open, the AK380Cu+amp a bit more focused, both offering more or less the same high level of resolution. I slightly preferred the AK380Cu+amp for the Utopia. The HD800S sounded a bit better to my ears with the SP1000. Surprisingly, the SP1000 SS did not sound brighter overall than AK380Cu + Cu amp. Both are really great DAPs, but I hope that A&K will come up with a matching amp for the SP1000 soon.

Jul 17, 2017 at 6:55 PM Post #858 of 9,406
I need some help from other SP1000 users (or from A&K ...:wink:: I would like to know where (in which folder) in the internal memory I am supposed to "drop" my music files from my computer ?

NOTE : I wonder if Some internal folders have not been erased since the SP1000 is shipped with some demo music files that I do not see anymore. In the "Music" Folder, as you can see I only have 1 sub-folder "download"

SP1000 screen 2.jpg SP1000 screen 3.jpg

Also could someone explain what is the "download" folder for ? "download" from what/where ?

And also, when I look at the Micro-SD card content I see now a "LOST.DIR' folder ?! (this MicroSD card come direct from my AK100 which never displayer this "LOST DIR" folder). Any idea ? should I erase it ?

SP1000 screen 1.jpg

Thanks in advance for your help.

PS : Could someone take a screen shot of his SP1000 in Folder mode, of various folders, including the one with the A&K Demo file presents (so I can see in which folder they are and if I have had some folders erased)

Jul 17, 2017 at 8:01 PM Post #859 of 9,406
question: Is it possible to purchase a new AK ultima SP1000 leather case ? I already scratched my leather case :frowning2: !

And bty so far, besides the Alcantara stuff, I have not seen many (any ?) third party cases for the SP1000 !

Jul 17, 2017 at 10:48 PM Post #861 of 9,406
I need some help from other SP1000 users (or from A&K ...:wink:: I would like to know where (in which folder) in the internal memory I am supposed to "drop" my music files from my computer ?

NOTE : I wonder if Some internal folders have not been erased since the SP1000 is shipped with some demo music files that I do not see anymore. In the "Music" Folder, as you can see I only have 1 sub-folder "download"

Also could someone explain what is the "download" folder for ? "download" from what/where ?

And also, when I look at the Micro-SD card content I see now a "LOST.DIR' folder ?! (this MicroSD card come direct from my AK100 which never displayer this "LOST DIR" folder). Any idea ? should I erase it ?

Thanks in advance for your help.

PS : Could someone take a screen shot of his SP1000 in Folder mode, of various folders, including the one with the A&K Demo file presents (so I can see in which folder they are and if I have had some folders erased)

Drop the file in the music folder should be fine
Internal memory \ music \ artist \ album
That's how I manage my music on my AK240

The download folder is for the apps pre-loaded on the AK's DAP, I have it on my AK240 also but never been used

I will leave that LOST.DIR alone

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2017 at 3:34 AM Post #862 of 9,406
Well after owning the SP1000 for few days i have came to the following conclusion (Bearing in mind things still might change after more burn-in etc...) -

Initially i thought the tonality of the player was way off....this was on the first day of receiving the player. I like a fuller sounding player and have owned the AK380 for over a year i was accustomed to their fullness and clarity (This was on SE output only) The initial tonality was very bright and thin sounding on my Focal Utopias both on the SE and BAL output (ESP on the BAL output) and i actually thought of returning it! After 50+ hours of burn in things got much better as the sound started to open up, stage became less congested and most importantly the initial brightness and thinness started to disappear. Now at 60+ hours things are still getting better!

I would recommend anybody trying this player to fully burn it in before any critical listening as i imagine this player needs at least 100+ hours. Do not be disappointed initially and give it sometime!

Other points to mention -

This player has so much detail and information hearing is believing! if you have the opportunity connect it to a high-end speaker system using it as the pre-amp directly to the amplifier with quality speakers and you will truly hear the quality of the DAC and the build-in headphone amp! I believe the technical abilities of this player is top-of-the-line right now in a portable package!

Soundwise this player offers a fairly neutral signature with astonishing bottom-end reach, clarity of midrange and extension of trebles (whilst keeping relatively sibilance free) I cannot think of another portable device which offers such merits across each of the frequency spectrum whilst retaining clarity and doesn't come across as sounding lean or analytical! This is where the SP1000 achieves its TOTL status!

Oh and do not listen to this player while it's charging as there is too much interference and noise!

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2017 at 4:46 AM Post #863 of 9,406
Well after owning the SP1000 for few days i have came to the following conclusion (Bearing in mind things still might change after more burn-in etc...) -

Initially i thought the tonality of the player was way off....this was on the first day of receiving the player. I like a fuller sounding player and have owned the AK380 for over a year i was accustomed to their fullness and clarity (This was on SE output only) The initial tonality was very bright and thin sounding on my Focal Utopias both on the SE and BAL output (ESP on the BAL output) and i actually thought of returning it! After 50+ hours of burn in things got much better as the sound started to open up, stage became less congested and most importantly the initial brightness and thinness started to disappear. Now at 60+ hours things are still getting better!

I would recommend anybody trying this player to fully burn it in before any critical listening as i imagine this player needs at least 100+ hours. Do not be disappointed initially and give it sometime!

This player has so much detail and information hearing is believing! if you have the opportunity connect it to a high-end speaker system using it as the pre-amp directly to the amplifier with quality speakers and you will truly hear the quality of the DAC and the build-in headphone amp! I believe the technical abilities of this player is top-of-the-line right now in a portable package!

Soundwise this player offers a fairly neutral signature with astonishing bottom-end reach, clarity of midrange and extension of trebles (whilst keeping relatively sibilance free) I cannot think of another portable device which offers such merits across each of the frequency spectrum whilst retaining clarity and doesn't come across as sounding lean or analytical! This is where the SP1000 achieves its TOTL status!

Oh and do not listen to this player while it's charging as there is too much interference and noise!
What albums have you been listening to with this AK?

Jul 18, 2017 at 5:27 AM Post #864 of 9,406

Totally Agree. I was sooo disappointed with my initial listening. Now, especially with my SHURE KSE1500, I am very happy.

Agree also that it can be used as a Source/pré with a home system. With the A&K XLR cable, It has replaced my ARIES + HUGO to feed my BHSE/Stax SR009. This sound better and... clean my audio rack :wink:

NOW :
SP1000-BHSE-Stax.jpg
Bal cable line out.jpeg

BEFORE :
Auralic:HUGO + BHSE.JPG

Attachments

• SP1000 + BHSE.JPG
    SP1000 + BHSE.JPG
    555.1 KB · Views: 0
Jul 18, 2017 at 7:00 AM Post #866 of 9,406
Totally Agree. I was sooo disappointed with my initial listening. Now, especially with my SHURE KSE1500, I am very happy.

Agree also that it can be used as a Source/pré with a home system. With the A&K XLR cable, It has replaced my ARIES + HUGO to feed my BHSE/Stax SR009. This sound better and... clean my audio rack :wink:

NOW :

BEFORE :
Funny you say that - i also have Auralic Aries feeding into Vegas and using SP1000 as source/pre sounds miles and i mean miles better than my desktop setup!

Nice setup BTW....bet it sounds as good as it looks! :p

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2017 at 8:49 AM Post #867 of 9,406

NOW :

BEFORE :

Nice system, is this your first DAP as pre-out into your Stax ?

Jul 18, 2017 at 9:13 AM Post #868 of 9,406
Nice system, is this your first DAP as pre-out into your Stax ?

YES, before I was using an external desktop DAC & Server....

Jul 18, 2017 at 9:47 AM Post #869 of 9,406
YES, before I was using an external desktop DAC & Server....
I see, you should try a DAP and USB signals into a dedicated DAC, a desktop tier...not Hugo :)

I can recommend any of those newer one with R2R, such as Soekrisk engineering. If you like Sabres, try LSK 004, it has 2x es9038 Pro. Not sure if you are a fan of cables, but USB cables and Interconnect cables bring huge differences as well

DAP such as Wm1Z input as preout into Stax amp such as BHSE is ok, I used WM1Z just like that not too long ago (your AK preout cables is silver I believe, I used occ on my Wm1z). However, there is substantial improvements when I used Wm1Z + digital out with upgraded USB cables into my LSK 004.

Though, I tried a few DAP as pre-amp out, and none of them were good enough until WM1Z. I have no doubt that SP1000 is also great, but to get more out of it, you should try full scale desktop setup.

Jul 18, 2017 at 9:49 AM Post #870 of 9,406
I know.
One day soon I will get à NAGRA HD DAC

Users who are viewing this thread

Back