New TOL A&K DAP : the AK Ultima SP1000
Jul 18, 2017 at 1:24 PM Post #871 of 9,406
With the A&K XLR cable, It has replaced my ARIES + HUGO to feed my BHSE/Stax SR009. This sound better and... clean my audio rack :wink:

Damn, this PEF 21 cable costs more than a KANN! :astonished:
Nice setup and a clean rack, though. :thumbsup:

Jul 18, 2017 at 3:47 PM Post #872 of 9,406
Done today a nice protection case for my SP1000 + Shure KSE1500 (booth joined together by velcro).

FullSizeRender-2.jpg FullSizeRender-3.jpg

IMG_5420.JPG FullSizeRender-1.jpg IMG_5426.JPG

Jul 19, 2017 at 7:05 AM Post #873 of 9,406
Oh no you didn't? velcro your SP1000?

Jul 19, 2017 at 9:37 AM Post #875 of 9,406
I like them but, their amplifier is limited to 24 bit 96 Khz so you cannot take fully advantage of something like SP1000 or Hugo 2.
Maybe in the next generation the specifications will be higher.
No no it is the SHURE ´s DAC that is limited ! No limitation when using line-in from the SP1000.

Jul 19, 2017 at 1:17 PM Post #877 of 9,406
Hi
À question about the SP1000 copper.
Will get oxydation like the ak380?
Or will the copper of sp1000 be greatly différent?

I'm really considering to order or sp1000ss or the cu. but if the cu doesn't tarnish or get oxydation it might interest me.
Need your advice on this or I will for Sony dap if no one from AK clarify this point here for ever.
Because I need a dap now. Not something you spend ally our fund and you can't keep it by hand on light. Who can Possess something good and hide it under clothes ? When you have a nice car you want to drive it outside then people appreciate it. I need a clarification on this point from someone from AK.
Sam

Jul 19, 2017 at 1:20 PM Post #878 of 9,406
Wow wow wee. Intense.

Jul 19, 2017 at 2:01 PM Post #879 of 9,406
Hi
À question about the SP1000 copper.
Will get oxydation like the ak380?
Or will the copper of sp1000 be greatly différent?

I'm really considering to order or sp1000ss or the cu. but if the cu doesn't tarnish or get oxydation it might interest me.
Need your advice on this or I will for Sony dap if no one from AK clarify this point here for ever.
Because I need a dap now. Not something you spend ally our fund and you can't keep it by hand on light. Who can Possess something good and hide it under clothes ? When you have a nice car you want to drive it outside then people appreciate it. I need a clarification on this point from someone from AK.
Sam

Direct from Ak SP1000 blog site:

gjdklfjg: The Copper version of the SP1000 will come with a clearcoat to resist oxidation, but as the Copper alloy is susceptible to oxidation and tarnishing, regular cleaning with a Copper alloy cleaner is what we can suggest.

So it will tarnish eventually.

Jul 19, 2017 at 3:11 PM Post #880 of 9,406
Hey! Mostly from an enthusiast's curiosity -- I will nowhere in the near future have the funds for this baby -- how does the A&Ultima's soundstage compare to other products? just general impressions are welcome, but also comparisons, especially with:

1) iBasso 200 (said to be super wide -- but with no depth)
2) Cayin c5 amp (amazing 3d, especially for the price)

Jul 20, 2017 at 7:18 AM Post #881 of 9,406
Received the SP1000 stainless steel yesterday, initial impressions are that it is significantly more detailed with a greater level of clarity as compared to My 380cu with the AMP.
On the negative side, the 380cu has greater weight to the midrange, this may change as it breaks in.

I have tested SP1000 on CanJam London this weekend, using my Final Lab1 and Sonorous X. Also tried to compare with my AK380ss (with AMP), and WM1Z at the Sony trade booth, however it was hard to do so properly, due to time constraints and loud environment.

What I have heard is that I liked SP1000 even more than my AK380ss! Even though I thought that the latter is a perfect player and a desktop-dac-killer (already sold most of my desktop stuff because of AK; by the way, the SS version absolutely kills the normal one; havent heard the Cu version though).

So what did I like about Ultima? Great control over the sound. Sense of power. Sound unglued from the headphones. Superb space. Classy sound with great sense of culture. Euphony.

Was anything about AK380ss better than Ultima? It was darker and had better control over the low tones.

Still, I felt I want to change to SP1000. It also won over the Sony gold flagship, which in the meantime completely destroyed the black one contender WM1A.

Ultima is also a bit smaller than 380+AMP combo and I read that it has a better battery life od 10-11h. User interface greatly improved, is smooth and looks classy too. SP1000 itself looks like a little piece of art, even compared to the gold Sony WM1Z, which I love, but it lacks artsy accents like the power control of the SP1000. Ultima looks also nicer than my AK380ss. An overall upgrade to me.

However what Astell did feels not fair. They release AK380ss in the late January, pricing it around $6k+ in my country, possible to negotiate down to $5k. Then, a few months later, they release a new flagship, better to my ears (not everyone will agree), with better screen, battery and UI, pricing it at $3k. I feel ripped and want to sell my AK380ss to move on to Sony, even though I preferred the sound of Ultima.

Jul 20, 2017 at 8:36 AM Post #883 of 9,406
The special thing about Wm1z is it thick and bulky copper chassis. The grounding on the DAP is important, yet the density and thickness of it will play a role to. The thicker, the better conductivity, that is the principal of Wires and it sizes
What?

Jul 20, 2017 at 9:23 AM Post #885 of 9,406
Like anything else you buy from a company, there is always the risk that it will bring out a newer/better/upgraded model sooner or later. Computer companies are a good example of this. It's not a matter of fair, simply marketing. I'm sure you could sell your 380SS for a decent price and upgrade.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back