SONY NW-A30 SERIES
Mar 21, 2020 at 4:00 PM Post #2,387 of 2,453
the Andro will hiss like mad with the A35

Mar 21, 2020 at 8:41 PM Post #2,389 of 2,453
thank you so much but do you know what is the input impedance in the A35 i really wanna know.

Sony is usually tight lipped about such things. I don’t think they’ve made numbers like that available

Mar 22, 2020 at 9:43 AM Post #2,390 of 2,453
thank you so much but do you know what is the input impedance in the A35 i really wanna know.
Based on Sony's history, there's a good chance that the impedance is in the 3 to 5ohm. If you're looking for really low impedance for IEMs, Sony's digital amplification is not what you're looking for.

Apr 7, 2020 at 8:48 PM Post #2,392 of 2,453
Hello guys,

I don't own a device from the Sony A30 Series, but while searching for similar stock firmware for my WM1A, I managed to get hold of some stock firmware versions from the pre-release era for your devices.

The versions are 0.92, 0.92.10, 0.94 and 1.00.

If you'd like to try them, they can be found here (click).

On the WM1A, I had the following "issues":

- scrolling seems just a bit laggy
- unless you "Reset All Settings" from the "Device Settings" menu, you will not be able to switch Direct Mode when sliding the screen up, you will have to go to Settings
- unless you "Reset All Settings", every time you'll go to Settings, you'll get a message that an error occurred and that you can restart the device by holding "Power" for 8 seconds; you can just ignore this
- you will have to "Rebuild Database" from the "Device Settings" menu after flashing to one of these versions

As the firmware base should be similar, I'm thinking that you'll probably encounter the same issues.

If you're curious, feel free to test them and leave your impressions.

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2020 at 8:55 AM Post #2,393 of 2,453
Hey maybe this is a dead thread now and you lot have moved to newer devices but I was wondering if anybody has any ideas on my battery life issue.
I do t get chance to listen to my Walkman for a week or so sometimes so when I get to it, the battery is dead.
my iPod classic seems to always have charge however long I leave it.
Is there a good way in the A series to have a longer standby time or can I properly turn it off between listens?

Aug 20, 2020 at 2:07 PM Post #2,394 of 2,453
This DAP has always had battery problems. The numbers provided by Sony are an outright lie, just like the amount of space the player has internally, and it needs to be turned off completely to stop it eating through the battery. Unfortunately that means rebuilding the database every time it's turned back on, so you need to remember to turn it on a few minutes before you want to use it. It's a real pain.

Aug 22, 2020 at 7:50 AM Post #2,395 of 2,453
This DAP has always had battery problems. The numbers provided by Sony are an outright lie, just like the amount of space the player has internally, and it needs to be turned off completely to stop it eating through the battery. Unfortunately that means rebuilding the database every time it's turned back on, so you need to remember to turn it on a few minutes before you want to use it. It's a real pain.

That’s such a shame. Is battery management any better on newer models of the A series? I’m tempted to just leave this plugged into a usb socket when I’m not using it so that it always has power. I’m not going to be using it much if it continues to have no battery life every time I want to use it

Aug 24, 2020 at 11:37 AM Post #2,396 of 2,453
I'm not sure how healthy that will be for the battery.

It's a good player despite it's flaws and the batteries on many other players last even less time, I just don't see why my cheap Sandisk player only has to refresh it's database if it's connected to a computer or has the memory card removed, while this much more expensive Sony can't manage that.

Aug 25, 2020 at 7:13 AM Post #2,397 of 2,453
Hello, is anyone willing to test a future mod for the A30 Series player? The mod aims to be similar to the A40 Series mod (there is a link for it in my signature).

I don't actually own the device, but A30 Series is very similar to A40 Series, and I would only need a confirmation that everything works fine (especially the touchscreen and that there is sound being played back).

If yes, PM me please.

Sep 2, 2020 at 12:54 PM Post #2,398 of 2,453
Thanks to @MrWalkman for the A40 mod
More information about the firmware and improvements itself here: A40Series Mod
Please read it before continuing here

I've been testing it on the A30 myself, and i can tell you it's a totally different walkman now! Scroll through a list of 200 albums without stuttering? Easy! Have a cool overhyped vinyl processor effect? Now you can! Wanna use it as bluetooth/usb DAC for your 2020 smartphone without headphone jack? Totally possible!

For you lovely people i repackaged it for the NW-A30, so you can have an appetizer of the other stuff that is going to come! (progressive jpeg, more output tweaks)

You'll have the same restrictions as the A40 has with the mod installed! (no DSD playback while the device in direct source mode, no fm radio and no language study) Also NFC does not work, no easy tapping with your WH-1000XM2/3/4 headphones sadly :frowning2:

DSC01424.JPG

DSC01425.JPG

The installation is a bit different from the A40 one because i did not package it like mrwalkman did! But it's just as easy as changing your destination(E->J) and you'll be done in 15 minutes!
While the risks of bricking your device is low it is always a possibility. if the device gets interrupted in the update process and it ends up bricked please contact me in PM. Unbricking is relatively easy, but it should not brick in the first place. I tested the update around 4 times from OFW to CFW on my own walkman but i cannot test all cases ofc.

Download the firmware for A30 here

The procedure is about the same as for the A40, but i did not package it in a fancy way yet.
I included the linux and windows binary of scsitool for you to use, if you set the destination before you'll be familiar with it

If you changed your destination to Japan before, please change it back before continuing the proces. Otherwise you'll end up with a device that's stuck in the japanese language. This is fixable at any point though!

Before you start ofc extract the ZIP file with upgrade binaries.
Eject your sdcard, that saves a lot of time rebuilding databases

Step 1: Switching model to ZX300

1. Copy the upgrade file in the SWITCH_ZX300 folder to the root of the walkman storage
  2. Open a command prompt, drag&drop the extracted scsitool to the window (the path to the binary will show up in the prompt)
  3. Add the arguments to the command line in this way: C:\path\to\scsitool.exe walkman_driveletter: do_fw_upgrade and ofc replace walkman_driveletter to the driveletter of the walkman
  4. Screenshot_20200902_183423.png

Example how the command line would look like. On linux you would do the same but instead of drive letter you use /dev/sdc or whatever your walkman is at
  5. The device will reboot, now you need to restore the device to factory configuration. This is mandatory and on the way to the menu the walkman will complain about a corrupt database, this is normal.
Congrats, now the walkman is a "ZX300" :wink:, but we are not done yet!

Step 2: Install the custom firmware
  1. Copy the upgrade file in the CFW folder to the root of the walkman storage
  2. Just like in the previous step you do the do_fw_upgrade again with scsitool
  3. The device will reboot again
That's it, you installed the modded firmware and you'll enjoy all the candies that sony did not want to give you!

I'll add a UPG file soon for restoring the device to stock.

Also a small disclaimer; i'm not intending on maintaining the firmware modifications. I could take over packaging for the A30 but i assume mrwalkman will release it for the A30 theirselves later on :wink:

Last edited:
Sep 3, 2020 at 1:24 PM Post #2,399 of 2,453
Due to some recent events, current (and future) firmware mods will be available shortly on my blog.

Music is :heart:, forever.

Last edited:
Sep 4, 2020 at 3:16 AM Post #2,400 of 2,453
Due to some recent events, current (and future) firmware mods will be available shortly on my blog.

Music is :heart:, forever.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back