SONY NW-A30 SERIES
Nov 8, 2020 at 5:35 AM Post #2,435 of 2,453
I need to return to ofw too. My wife wants her radio back (unfortunately) but I will keep my A35 modded. Any help?

If you want to keep you A35 modded, then what help do you need? You can't have radio and your A35 modded, so do you want to revert to stock or not?

Factory reset?

Nope, factory reset does not change the firmware on the player, it just resets settings and formats the internal storage.

Nov 8, 2020 at 7:58 AM Post #2,436 of 2,453
If you want to keep you A35 modded, then what help do you need? You can't have radio and your A35 modded, so do you want to revert to stock or not?

Nope, factory reset does not change the firmware on the player, it just resets settings and formats the internal storage.
I have 2 A35. Mine will stay modded but the one my wife is using daily HAS to be demodded :frowning2:. My physical integrity is under menace.

Nov 8, 2020 at 7:59 AM Post #2,437 of 2,453
I have 2 A35. Mine will stay modded but the one my wife is using daily HAS to be demodded :frowning2:. My physical integrity is under menace.

Oh, got it. Will PM you soon.

I will also try bringing a mod of the A55 stock firmware to the A45 and A35, that will keep the FM radio, while still having aptX HD, Bluetooth Receiver and USB DAC mode, and better sound quality.

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2020 at 8:18 AM Post #2,438 of 2,453
Oh, got it. Will PM you soon.

I will also try bringing a mod of the A55 stock firmware to the A45 and A35, that will keep the FM radio, while still having aptX HD, Bluetooth Receiver and USB DAC mode, and better sound quality.
Thanks a lot.
I don't miss the radio so much but the analog outputs on the wmport is another story. The 10 band eq is a must on the other side, sadly no 2 user settings for it (too many iem to eq).
I changed all A35s to modded fw without asking but did not save any file so...

Last edited:
Nov 9, 2020 at 8:42 AM Post #2,439 of 2,453
Last edited:
Nov 9, 2020 at 12:37 PM Post #2,440 of 2,453
So - thanks to mrwalkman for the release.

As I have had no windows machine for the last 15 years or more, I had to do the installation on my Linux laptop manually (unfortunately scsitool has no Mac port and I couldn't compile it on my Mac either). All the UPG files are inside the .exe files, so you have to unpack them first. Once you did that, just use the same scsitool from the rockbox site as you would for the region change.

Results - the installation went without a hiccup. Here's how.

First remove the card, this will make the process much faster. Then copy the UPG file to the root of the player and at the prompt issue the command:

scsitool list_devices (make note of the list)

sudo scsitool /dev/sdd do_fw_upgrade (replace sdd with whatever the output of the previous command)

Your device will restart and install the fw (takes a couple of minutes, you'll see the installation progress bar) and restart again and will reset. If you get the orange logo on restart, it went well.

Now repeat the same with the ExtTuning package.

To be on the safe side, reset again. You're done.

========
Quirks:

1/ I had the weird experience that after the final reset the region jumped to J(apan), no idea why. Easy to correct with the same region tool, just type

sudo scsitool /dev/sdd dest_tool set U2 off

2/ Before the final reset I connected the WM-port to my DAC - the Sony registered that it's connected, disabled all sound settings (as it should) but no sound came from the DAC/Amp. When I disconnected, it got stuck in the USB output mode, I had to reset the unit (this was the final reset)
Now the WM-out is not working (just as with the ZX-300 mod) - might be good to add to the missing functionality list.

3/ Now this is strange - the unit information screen shows what it should (NW-30series, MrWalkman mod, etc) - but the scsitool shows TWO (!) different models, depending on the command - either NW-ZX300 or DMP-1Z (see screenshot). This unit DID have the ZX300 mod fw installed in the past, but it was reset to the official. It makes no praactical difference, just interesting. (also shows 256G as storage, I wish :))

Screenshot_2020-11-09_19-11-13.png

Last edited:
Nov 9, 2020 at 12:44 PM Post #2,441 of 2,453
the unit information screen shows what it should (NW-30series, MrWalkman mod, etc) - but the scsitool shows TWO (!) different models, depending on the command - either NW-ZX300 or DMP-1Z (see screenshot).

It's based on the ZX300 firmware, but the internal model is changed to DMP-Z1, as the sound is based on the Z1's signature.

Ideally, you should install it via the update tool. I don't want to start getting into the details, but the SWUpdate.xml file in combination with the update tool seems to be able to bring changes to the sound signature. That's why the SWUpdate.xml file in the external tuning's executable points to the DMP-Z1 model.

Based on this, the first available "mods" for 1A/1Z appeared, named "tuning mods".

Having said that, I hope it sounds the same when installing via the destination tool as when installing via the update tool.

Nov 9, 2020 at 12:48 PM Post #2,442 of 2,453
I tried using the tool under wine/Crossover, the tool starts, but cannot recognize the attached DAP, asks for "please connect..." - so the only option is using scsitool. The External Tuning upgrade also went well, so I guess it's all there :)

You might want to test this method and prove/disprove if the tuning happens also this way.

Feb 25, 2021 at 4:32 AM Post #2,443 of 2,453
For some reason I needed to revert back to the stock firmware for a short time - boy, oh boy how dumb that looks and feels after the DMP-A30!

If there are people who still have the A30 and are on the stock fw - you use only half of the potential of the DAP. I urge you to upgrade.

Sep 4, 2021 at 3:34 PM Post #2,444 of 2,453
Sep 5, 2021 at 12:47 AM Post #2,445 of 2,453
I installed this on my trusty A35 from 2016 and appplied the Midnight setting.

As I have the A55 with the same fw/tuning installed, it's very easy to make a comparison - just play the same songs side by side at the same volume and plug the headphone from one into the other. Truth be told, I can hear no difference between the the players with the same fw running, so kudos!

It is really amazing what a pocket player from 2016 is capable of! I am listening with my Denon D5200 and might throw in the HD6xx as well - with normal gain setting it drives the Denon beautifully at around 80-85/120 volume

(I am not commenting on the actual sound here, the generic fw discussion thread is the better place to do that)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back