SONY NW-A30 SERIES
Sep 9, 2020 at 7:04 AM Post #2,416 of 2,453
Thanks,

ZX300 doesn't have the VPT surround function, and you can change from EQ to Tone Control.

Tap
c_option.png
to select [Equalizer] or [Tone Control]. The selected setting will take effect.

Thanks. I forgot to tap on that icon when in the EQ section to select to Equalizer or Tone Control.

Sep 22, 2020 at 4:25 AM Post #2,417 of 2,453
The procedure is about the same as for the A40, but i did not package it in a fancy way yet.
I included the linux and windows binary of scsitool for you to use, if you set the destination before you'll be familiar with it

Thanks for this - I used your download, because of the linux tool you included, there is not one Windows machine in the whole household :) it worked well on Debian. Of course a big thanks goes to MrWalkman for doing the actual hacking work - it's always a joy to hack electronics to bring out their full potential.

The bits that are missing from this fw vs the stock fw are really not going to be missed by anyone (except maybe for the radio) so there's no actually loss but big gains.

There are some light cosmetic issues, e.g references to A40 instead of A30, but that's just nitpicking.

In general, I'm amazed how well this works - and how much potential this DAP has, which Sony unfortunately left unrealised. Also it makes me think how the fw is not really tuned to the max in terms of optimisation - if it were tightly tuned to the originally intended hardware, it wouldn't run on different specs

Sep 23, 2020 at 9:09 PM Post #2,419 of 2,453
Have it been mentioned, that with the hacked fw AptX-HD is now available on the A35? As I recall it was not an option with the original fw

When connecting to my B&W PX7 it says AptX-HD.

The codec was added in a later update to the Walkman OS (to all devices running this OS). Unfortunately, they didn't update the A35 firmware anymore, so this update was not applied for it.

Sep 24, 2020 at 12:49 PM Post #2,420 of 2,453
Actually there seems to be an important drawback with the hacked fw - I don't seem to get sound out via the WM port, so if I hook the player to an amp, I must now use the 3,5mm plug.
Is this a bug or a feature (or I just cannot figure it out)?

Sep 24, 2020 at 12:54 PM Post #2,421 of 2,453
Actually there seems to be an important drawback with the hacked fw - I don't seem to get sound out via the WM port, so if I hook the player to an amp, I must now use the 3,5mm plug.
Is this a bug or a feature (or I just cannot figure it out)?

Did it work with the stock firmware? The thing about the digital out adapter is that it doesn't always work with any equipment, even for my WM1A.

Sep 24, 2020 at 1:06 PM Post #2,422 of 2,453
Yes that's how I used to use it.

Setup 1/ A30 ->WM-to-3,5mm connector ->amp (analogue signal)

Setup 2/ A30->WM-to-microUSBconnector -> Fiio Q1Mk2 DAC/Amp (digital signal)

With the ZX300 firmware neither setup works.

Sep 24, 2020 at 1:14 PM Post #2,423 of 2,453
Yes that's how I used to use it.

Setup 1/ A30 ->WM-to-3,5mm connector ->amp (analogue signal)

Setup 2/ A30->WM-to-microUSBconnector -> Fiio Q1Mk2 DAC/Amp (digital signal)

With the ZX300 firmware neither setup works.

I'm sorry to hear it, I don't think there is something I can do about it.

Sep 30, 2020 at 2:52 AM Post #2,426 of 2,453
Nope, no Walkman OS device can do that (not software implemented, of course).

Oct 1, 2020 at 1:43 AM Post #2,428 of 2,453
I think it is (must be) done at the other end, ie the headphones. IIRC, you can apply equaliser e.g. for the Sony 1000X series using the app.

I use the Sony WF1000XM3 for outdoors and the Sony WFSP800N in the gym but both require Android for the equalizer to work (requires its own app). It would've been cool to be able to use the Walkman's EQ for these wireless devices.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back