New Shure SE215 - First Impressions
Oct 4, 2013 at 5:37 PM Post #1,216 of 1,937
I've just come back from a 10 day trip with my SE215 and really enjoyed them! Excellent sound and isolation, perfect for city exploring (just watch your step). Hard to believe that they are priced at $100 considering just the build quality alone.

Oct 21, 2013 at 9:04 PM Post #1,217 of 1,937
Just picked these up. If I like them after the week, I will order the UE900 blue cable. I think it looks cool, but more importantly I need the shorter length cable. I got the clear SE215 as that was all my guitar center carries (they had a black one but could not sell it to me even though it was an unopened return). I think the UE900 cords look good, with that wavy design.

Oct 23, 2013 at 3:16 PM Post #1,218 of 1,937
Here's my story about the UE900 cable.

After initially purchasing the Shure iPhone cable, I immediately returned it. EarphoneSolutions accepted the return, good service from them. As many people have commented, the Shure iPhone cable is terrible. I found it poorly constructed, and the remote/mic was bulky and prone to snagging on my shirt collar. And $50? Total rip off.

The UE900 cable is much better in all ways. It's a pretty funky bright blue, but nicely designed anyway and goes well with my black SE215s. The remote/mic module is lightweight and well-positioned. Much like it should be I think. The connector is a right-angle style but I think lacks a little bit of strain relief, and I'm a bit worried about its durability. So far so good, and the price is right anyway, so I don't mind replacing it if it dies in 6 months.

(I have a Chicago winter to look forward to, and my daily train commute is apparently very tough on headphones and cables...)

Anyway one thing I should say is that the UE900 cable does NOT like sweat! For a while I used the SE215+UE cable combination at the gym, and noticed that after a 30+ minute workout the buttons would stop working. After drying out, they'd start working again. I did this a few times and of course inevitably did some damage - as of right now the volume buttons no longer work (although the play/pause button does). 

After buying some separate gym headphones (Senn OCX685i, very nice so far) I can live with this mostly functioning cable - and I'm going to wait to see how they survive the winter.

tl/dr - UE900 cables good, but keep them out of the gym!

Oct 24, 2013 at 2:32 AM Post #1,219 of 1,937
  Here's my story about the UE900 cable.

After initially purchasing the Shure iPhone cable, I immediately returned it. EarphoneSolutions accepted the return, good service from them. As many people have commented, the Shure iPhone cable is terrible. I found it poorly constructed, and the remote/mic was bulky and prone to snagging on my shirt collar. And $50? Total rip off.

The UE900 cable is much better in all ways. It's a pretty funky bright blue, but nicely designed anyway and goes well with my black SE215s. The remote/mic module is lightweight and well-positioned. Much like it should be I think. The connector is a right-angle style but I think lacks a little bit of strain relief, and I'm a bit worried about its durability. So far so good, and the price is right anyway, so I don't mind replacing it if it dies in 6 months.

(I have a Chicago winter to look forward to, and my daily train commute is apparently very tough on headphones and cables...)

Anyway one thing I should say is that the UE900 cable does NOT like sweat! For a while I used the SE215+UE cable combination at the gym, and noticed that after a 30+ minute workout the buttons would stop working. After drying out, they'd start working again. I did this a few times and of course inevitably did some damage - as of right now the volume buttons no longer work (although the play/pause button does). 

After buying some separate gym headphones (Senn OCX685i, very nice so far) I can live with this mostly functioning cable - and I'm going to wait to see how they survive the winter.

tl/dr - UE900 cables good, but keep them out of the gym!

great, thanks for the feedback.  i want to get one for general listening and not for the gym.  did it change the SS at all?  

Oct 24, 2013 at 6:02 AM Post #1,220 of 1,937
They are way too bassy imo.  Also the soundstage is very small, lacks details and clarity. However it sounds really great for $99.

But I know I'm in the minority that likes a neutral bass for example considering the popularity of Beats headphones. I even know someone who prefers the Shure SE215 over the Shure SE535 because the Shure SE535 doesn't have the excessive bass of the Shure SE215. 

Oct 24, 2013 at 4:24 PM Post #1,221 of 1,937
I defintely have accepted the clarity and detail aren't going to be as good, but I thought the sound stage was supposed to be good with these pper reviews.

I still haven't listened to mine yet.

Oct 24, 2013 at 9:34 PM Post #1,222 of 1,937
I defintely have accepted the clarity and detail aren't going to be as good, but I thought the sound stage was supposed to be good with these pper reviews.

I still haven't listened to mine yet.

My Shure SE215 has a smaller soundstage than the Shure SE535 (and there are supposedly IEM with a bigger soundstage than these). 

Considering it's only $99, it probably has the best soundstage in this price range.

Oct 24, 2013 at 11:35 PM Post #1,223 of 1,937
  I even know someone who prefers the Shure SE215 over the Shure SE535 because the Shure SE535 doesn't have the excessive bass of the Shure SE215. 

I know someone who enjoys X over Y because Y doesn't have the downsides of X.

Umm ... what!?

Oct 25, 2013 at 8:15 AM Post #1,224 of 1,937
Shure's SE215 is really of great value, but for those living in countries with great humidity, my recommendation is to invest in some silica gel. Apparently the moisture really messes with the connection of the earpiece (it gets in-between the socket connecting the piece and the connector).

Oct 25, 2013 at 9:04 AM Post #1,226 of 1,937

I know someone who enjoys X over Y because Y doesn't have the downsides of X.

Umm ... what!?

He likes headphones / IEM with alot of bass, even to such an extend that he prefers the Shure SE215 over the Shure SE535?

Oct 25, 2013 at 8:16 PM Post #1,227 of 1,937
How do the westone star tips sound with these?

I didn't want to wait for any other headphone because I'm impatient so I bought these on Monday and still haven't opened the se215. I thought I had read that the silicone star tips were better for these as it helps the missing treble some, but now I can't find where I thought I read that(before I bought these).

Oct 26, 2013 at 5:39 PM Post #1,228 of 1,937
I would use the stock tips for at least a couple of weeks before changing. I like the Comply tips better myself, though it is not a huge improvement. Some claim the silicone of the Star tips are more comfortable, and others are satisfied with the stock. Ears are kind of like backs where not every seat has the same level of comfort to everyone.

Oct 27, 2013 at 9:37 PM Post #1,229 of 1,937
Hmm first day trying them and its going to take me awhile to get used to iem's in general. That damn memory wire! It took me forever to get the tips that were on from the factory. So far the large silicone or olives work good and I can't really tell a difference sound wise in the two. I can't remember, do these benefit from burn in? Or no?
Lots o bass. And as everyone said, missing the treble or details with these. I'd prefer more clarity, so maybe a gr07be will be in my furture. Like the isolation and surprisingly didn't mind the cord length. Running down my back I didn't have the excess I had imagined. I like over the ears better, but the memory wire is a pain in the ass.

Oct 28, 2013 at 2:29 AM Post #1,230 of 1,937
1) Burnin time (70-100 hours)
2) Only Olive tips (black foam)
With Olves you will have much more details, opened soundstage, more treble. They are not better than 535, but very similar on a good tips after burn-time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back