New Shure SE215 - First Impressions
Jul 10, 2013 at 2:11 AM Post #1,187 of 1,937
I bought the new shure se215 but I heard the etymotic hf5 was just as good if not better. Has anyone tried both se215 and HF5 and can recommend me returning the se215 for the hf5? Where I live there are no places i know where you can demo in ear headphones so I purchased the se215 based on the good feedback it received and colour. 

Jul 10, 2013 at 2:39 AM Post #1,188 of 1,937
Quote:
I bought the new shure se215 but I heard the etymotic hf5 was just as good if not better. Has anyone tried both se215 and HF5 and can recommend me returning the se215 for the hf5? Where I live there are no places i know where you can demo in ear headphones so I purchased the se215 based on the good feedback it received and colour. 

Two diametrically opposed sound sigs.   One is super analytical with an extended top end and a bottom end that could use a bit of reinforcement, and the other, whose bottom end is a bit exaggerated, great mid-range but a top end that is rolled off.  Apples and oranges.

Is one better than the other?  All depends on which sound sig you like.

Jul 31, 2013 at 3:01 PM Post #1,190 of 1,937
Just had to chime in again to share how much I love these. They are far from being the last word in anything in particular, but the combination of bus-worthy isolation, great mids and bass, optional mic, and a more well-rounded presentation than anything I've heard in the price range makes them a uniquely complete package for an audio enthusiast with an active lifestyle. I know these will stay with me even if I eventually move away from other high end audio products simply due to their versatility and durability. I don't think I've felt better about any audio purchase I've ever made.

Aug 1, 2013 at 6:40 AM Post #1,192 of 1,937
Quote:
How do you guys see the durability of se215?

The letters on the outside are not carved as se425/535 and sometimes they rub off easily. Connectors on earpieces may have the same loose contact problem as se425/535 or ue900. Otherwise the build is solid and if not abused will last for years.

Aug 1, 2013 at 1:53 PM Post #1,193 of 1,937
Awesome. Mine get chucked around daily. The mic cable I have is splitting and cutting out a little, I will probably replace it with a UE900 mic cable next time, I noticed it seemed really durable when I had the UE900s for a short time.
How do you guys see the durability of se215?

Aug 1, 2013 at 2:40 PM Post #1,196 of 1,937
Comfort is important for me, coming from the Klipsch X5/X10 and X10i series -- the most comfortable earphones I've owned. (But, unfortunately, not the most durable.)

The 215 has decent sound, very decent.

But they are so big and heavy compared to what I'm used to that I find myself reaching for something else. Anything else, even a Monoprice or Panasonic cheapo.

No, the sound isn't as good. And I'd be more inclined to wear the 215s while seated on a longish trip.

But that's an awful lot of plastic in my ear!

Aug 1, 2013 at 3:04 PM Post #1,197 of 1,937
Really? I don't mind them so much. I felt similarly when using the stock cables, but since switching to the mic version I dont have that problem so much. Maybe try it or a UE 900 cable and see what you think then?
Quote:
Comfort is important for me, coming from the Klipsch X5/X10 and X10i series -- the most comfortable earphones I've owned. (But, unfortunately, not the most durable.)

The 215 has decent sound, very decent.

But they are so big and heavy compared to what I'm used to that I find myself reaching for something else. Anything else, even a Monoprice or Panasonic cheapo.

No, the sound isn't as good. And I'd be more inclined to wear the 215s while seated on a longish trip.

But that's an awful lot of plastic in my ear!

Aug 1, 2013 at 3:41 PM Post #1,199 of 1,937
Quote:
I do agree the X10 beats them for comfort and fit, but its pretty much at the top of that ladder so perhaps you've been spoiled :p

Spoiled and disappointed!

I loved the X5s, but they are long out of production.

I don't find the X10 or X10i either as durable or as good-sounding. I've had two go bad in less than three months.

Since then, I've not found anything I like that is also comfortable. 

I guess I have been spoiled. 

Not sure yet whether I'll keep the 215s. I'm also tempted by the RE-400s. But I've heard disappointing comments about both comfort and durability.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back