New Shure SE215 - First Impressions
May 31, 2013 at 3:41 PM Post #1,171 of 1,937
Here's another clear one. Effect Audio gets some very positive reviews around the web, but not enough numbers on this specific Crystal cable to hang your hat on.
Decent price for what is intended to be an upgrade.

http://www.amazon.com/EFFECT-AUDIO-CRYSTAL-Upgrade-Silver/dp/B00CDFYEHU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1370029189&sr=8-1&keywords=Shure+Crystal+cable

Jun 6, 2013 at 6:14 PM Post #1,172 of 1,937
My UM3X are on loan to another Head-Fier ATM and so I'm back with my SE215s for a bit. I have no complaints about them really, even coming back from a top-tier universal; sure the clarity, detail and separation aren't up to the UM3X, but they do have a very well-rounded presentation for a $100 IEM. Good bass, beautiful mids, and the treble isn't even so bad with a bit of EQ at 4k and 16k on my Nexus 4's DSP manager (root FTW).

Jun 26, 2013 at 9:04 PM Post #1,173 of 1,937
So I got a pair of the SE215 LTD's to compare against the Westone ADV.

Initial impressions are that the SE215 has more mid-richness but the ADV is has better tightness and a cleaner sound. I prefer the SE215 at first listen but I suspect that anyone who is a fan of the SE215 would come to like the ADV as well. It seems like Westone may have been targeting the SE215's response curve, though it's not a carbon copy.

Eventually I'll write a fuller comparison review, but for now I can say that if you like the SE215 but you wanted something that was made of one piece of metal and not several pieces of plastic (and thus extremely unlikely to break) the ADV is a logical purchase. The extra money buys build quality improvements, but apparently not immediately noticeable sound quality improvements.

That said the decision becomes a bit more easy when you factor in the price of the Shure iPhone cable (if you need one) because at that point the total cost of the SE215 is $150 (or at least $160 for LTD)  and I would always pay $50 more to get something much more durable with the $199 ADV.

Jun 27, 2013 at 8:47 PM Post #1,177 of 1,937
Quote:
I'm not sure it's a direct upgrade, dweaver says the mids are noticeably more recessed.

No, it's definitely not a direct upgrade in terms of sound quality. As I said, it's a sidegrade or even a downgrade depending on what your priorities are. If I had the SE215 (LTD) and ADV side by side in a blind test I would choose the 215.

In terms of build quality and comfort the ADV is a definite upgrade.

Jul 8, 2013 at 12:31 AM Post #1,178 of 1,937
The Klipsch oval tips are my favorites and I read somewhere that they fit the 215s -- has anyone tried this?

Jul 8, 2013 at 2:55 PM Post #1,183 of 1,937
Wondering whether I should get these... been on the fence for a while. 

Not sure if I should save up some more money and get the TF10s (despite them being $250+ now) or wait for the UE900 price to come down (those are my dream IEMs). 

Any help asap would be appreciated. My temporary Skullcandy Titans are not pleasing me 
frown.gif

Jul 9, 2013 at 11:21 AM Post #1,185 of 1,937
Wondering whether I should get these... been on the fence for a while. 

Not sure if I should save up some more money and get the TF10s (despite them being $250+ now) or wait for the UE900 price to come down (those are my dream IEMs). 

Any help asap would be appreciated. My temporary Skullcandy Titans are not pleasing me 
frown.gif

now that i own both iem, i would suggest to save up for the tf10.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back