New Shure SE215 - First Impressions
Apr 21, 2013 at 8:39 AM Post #1,156 of 1,937
Logitech UE900 replacement cables work with the Shure 215's and are only $15 for ones without in line mic controls, $25 with the controls. Much lighter but still pretty long. Does Shure sell replacement cables? If so the stock cables that come with the limited version are shorter.

Apr 21, 2013 at 4:06 PM Post #1,158 of 1,937
Logitech UE900 replacement cables work with the Shure 215's and are only $15 for ones without in line mic controls, $25 with the controls. Much lighter but still pretty long. Does Shure sell replacement cables? If so the stock cables that come with the limited version are shorter.

That sounds like a great idea.

Thanks

You do not really understand something unless you can explain it to your grandmother

Apr 21, 2013 at 4:08 PM Post #1,159 of 1,937
O_O How long did you have it? That's crazy...I use the mic cable but the stock seemed so beastly...weird.
Well the durable cable you're so delighted with doesn't last as long as I'd like. It's already broken. Don't fancy shelling out 50 euro for a replacement shure cable and am hoping the FiiO will be a cheap decent replacement.

Apr 30, 2013 at 1:02 PM Post #1,163 of 1,937
If it's the same cable as on the se535 then the clear cable is a lot stiffer and slightly shorter than the black. It seems more durable, but harder to handle. The neck tie bit is particularly hard to move up and down. I have se535 clear and se215 black.

May 4, 2013 at 10:20 AM Post #1,164 of 1,937
Okay I'm late to the game..
Just replaced my E2 with SE215 and just wanted to give my first impression (one that supprised me)
+ looks much better
+ great cable
+ good fit (for me)
+ more bass
+ no microphonics (was nod a big problem on E2)

- Instrument separation
- Detail

In relation to the two last evaluations, I expected the new SE215 to be better on all accounts and are frankly supprised to find that I like the sound of the old ones better, before I could here musicians breath and fingers running along strings, now they are gone....
Is it just me or have others experienced this ?
Will it get better after burn-in ?
Is it the difference from dynamic to armature drivers (I just have to accept) ?

Ps: I made the change as the cable on the E2C is close to broke, now I consider re-wiring or making them into costums.

May 14, 2013 at 11:32 AM Post #1,165 of 1,937
Just got those and trying them out. The sound is really good if I finally find a fit..

because damn those are hard to properly fit into my ears, it seems my left ear is no problem at all, I snap it in quite easily, but my right ear just won't get a comfortable fit..
It seems the right ear piece doesn't fit into my ear shell somehow.. but maybe I just really have to get used to putting those in..

after 4 hours: left ear: comfortable! Right ear.. hurts as hell.. just doesn't fit like my left ear. Ahh! this annoys me so much while I can't return those :frowning2: 

May 15, 2013 at 1:58 PM Post #1,166 of 1,937
shure215ear-e1368640675598.jpg

Is this a proper fit?

May 16, 2013 at 8:15 AM Post #1,167 of 1,937
I think the white one is actually clear. Only difference should be the color.

If it's the same cable as on the se535 then the clear cable is a lot stiffer and slightly shorter than the black. It seems more durable, but harder to handle. The neck tie bit is particularly hard to move up and down. I have se535 clear and se215 black.

I have the black cable that came with my black SE215 and I have a clear cable I purchased. They are identical in length. The black cable jacket is smooth while the clear cable's is feels slightly braided. You can both see and feel this. The single piece that runs from the jack to the split is noticably thicker on the black cable and after the split the clear cable is very slightly thinner. The different colour cables use a very slightly different sliding keeper. On the clear cable you can see the memory wire. On the black cable I only got to see the memory wire when the jacket split and the wire poked through :frowning2:

The clear braided wire is slightly more flexible/less stiff than the black wire. I find it a little more convenient. There is no difference in sound or in the jack or the connectors. The keeper on the clear wire is only stiff out of the box. Once you've used it then it's no different to using the one on the black cable.

My black cable is about 14 months old and came with the 'phones. I purchased the clear cable this month from a Shure dealer.

May 29, 2013 at 6:46 PM Post #1,170 of 1,937
So the clear cable better? cause i need to buy cable for my shure 215 spe or just i go with ue 900 cable?

I don't detect a sound difference.

I just rechecked and the lengths of my Black and Clear cables are identical.

Possible benefit of the Clear:

You can easily see the red dot on the right side and the green dot on the left. This matters when you connect the cable to the IEMs because you are supposed to align the dot on the cable with the dot on the IEM body. Finding a black dot on a black cable is pretty hard and next to impossible unless somewhere brightly lit.

You can see the memory wire. It seems to be the memory wire that pokes through the cable outer and also damages the audio cable. This is how my black cable died. At least on the clear cable you can see trouble coming.

The clear cable is definitely stiffer and naturally has a tendency to retain shape. I find this useful as it doesn't flap about quite so much and I notice I no longer keep snagging on door handles and cupboard handles. I expect the clear cable to last longer for this reason alone.

I have tons of black cables for different products. I am not a tidy person. Black Shures with a black cable used to disappear on me :D A shiny silvery white cable is easily spotted.

If I buy another I will choose the clear cable, assuming similar price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back