New Shure SE215 - First Impressions
Apr 19, 2011 at 4:13 PM Post #527 of 1,937
Quote:
looking for my first expensive pair of IEM's, would you recommend these to someone who likes house, trance, dubstep, rock and metal?

Absolutely. The warmth is a little too soft for my taste and hi-hats will be swallowed wholely on some tracks, but it's easy to get into and in the end you will easily adapt to any first high quality IEM. :wink:

Apr 19, 2011 at 9:18 PM Post #530 of 1,937
Yes a full set of the shure olives are included with these. You also get a set of single flanges.

Apr 19, 2011 at 9:31 PM Post #531 of 1,937
Hey, I just ordered them yesterday from Guitar Center, since they had a discount and stuff. They're on back-order, though, so it could be a while :/

I'll post some impressions when I get them, but keep in mind that I'm coming from iBuds and BlackBerry earphones, so my review *might* have some hyperboles in it :wink:

I really want to be impressed, can I expect them to blow my mind?

Apr 19, 2011 at 10:08 PM Post #532 of 1,937
What I can not understand is why they decided to do a job like this with the treble. how to explain this thing I do not know. these could be simply better headphones. is like having a good band, good songs, a beautiful production, and then have a bad musician. just one. it jars. at Shure they can not have forgotten something so important as treble. comparing these with other headphones that cost much less than it's easy to realize immediately that the treble are not good. at least compared to the level of overall quality they offer. I do not want to think with malice, but this decision makes me think that Shure did so on purpose. just not to make these too much good to forget  that there are also the se315 in the market. and justify the additional cost to enjoy better trebles. se215 with better trebles would enter in competition with the 315 that at least on paper "should" provide decent treble. if the se215 are quite good, why justify se315' purchase? to earn a bit more in detail? one who seriously want more detail go on se425 or directly to se535. The first thing that comes to mind after hearing the se215 and you like the design, construction and overall sound of these is "perhaps the shure se315 have better high? ops, maybe I should have had to buy the se315 then". I can't figure out in which category put these headphones' sound. pop music? hip hop? disco? techno? generally the rule of these type of headphones is that the bass forward is balanced by the decent trebles. here no. you start with good bass and you end up with low quality treble. Maybe are headphones for city traffic, for subway. where low and mid-low frequencies, being covered by ambient noises allow more space at higher frequencies and at the end give the impression of a fairly balanced sound. I am not certain, but it could be a plausible explanation

Apr 19, 2011 at 10:22 PM Post #533 of 1,937
Sorry aside from the treble being a bit recessed I like my SE215 fine. I do think Shure has made these to compete sonically against other IEM's in the same price range so no they are not as good as their higher priced IEM's (I say this with the caveat that many will enjoy the SE215 more than Shure's BA based IEM's because they prefer a dynamic speaker sound more) but this isn't really a secret as every company the world manufactures multiple models does the same thing. If the treble on these (or any other aspect of them for that matter) doesn't float your boat then move on to another IEM.

Personally I hope they sell so many of these it encourages them to make a higher end model or two with more sonic tweaking.

Apr 19, 2011 at 10:24 PM Post #534 of 1,937

Quote:
It maybe your laptop.

Have you tried the same tracks, be it in standard/high quality MP3 or lossless format over other platforms or sources as well?

I have tried it on both my iPod Touch (with Hip Hop EQ, as it has more of a sparkly sound than the others) andmy laptop, both on reasonably low volumes.

I also noticed the distortion on both. It has only been with several of my 2500+ songs that I have though.

If you have ever listened to Turtle Beach X41's before (high end gaming headset), it is similar to that, but not as extreme. (they crackle a lot when large explosions go off sometimes... may have a dodgy set).

Then again, as you said, there is always a chance that it may be the quality of the audio file, but I haven't noticed it on any of my other headphones or speakers.

it's just one of those tiny things which sometimes causes a bit of concern, you know what i mean?

Apr 20, 2011 at 12:46 PM Post #535 of 1,937
dweaver...I so agree. I bought these to use for working out/lawn cutting and general use when I don't want to risk my higher end Iems. I wanted them for the bass but instead...Imho..theyare way more than just bass. I find nothing wrong with them at $99 and don't think I would find a problem at $200. I can live with a little treble roll off for all the other quality points of them. I have been using them as much as my W4 for the past week just because of the fun factor. Truly impressed.

Apr 20, 2011 at 2:47 PM Post #537 of 1,937
Does Shure monitor this thread? I hope they can get feedback from end users. I purchased a pair shortly after they were released. I like the sound, but then I am not as demanding as some. However, I also hardly use them any more. With the memory wire, they are such a pain to get on and get adjusted, I would rather use one of my other IEMs for casual listening. I only use them if I plan to have an extended listening period, which is really too bad...

Brad.

Apr 21, 2011 at 2:39 AM Post #539 of 1,937
Because I miss the microphone and controls I just ordered the iphone cable since I like the SE215 enough to want it. I will post some comments on what I think of the differences between the 2 cables in regards to comfort, length, thickness, microphonics, and if I notice any differences sonically after I get them.

Apr 21, 2011 at 2:51 AM Post #540 of 1,937
That would be great.. I am very curious about the iPhone cable.. Also, I'm interested to know if it is very usable for making calls due to the good isolation? Previously I owned the AKG K450 on ear headphones, which also had a good seal. When I purchased an addon cable with microphone (Griffin), I was not really able to enjoy making calls since I could not really hear myself speaking..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back