New Shure SE215 - First Impressions
Apr 13, 2011 at 9:01 PM Post #483 of 1,937
I have used mine for 2-3 hours with no fatigue. But I also only listen at max volume of 40% on my iPhone 4 so not super loud.

Apr 13, 2011 at 9:06 PM Post #484 of 1,937
There I was, on an unplanned stopover in the Phoenix Sky Harbor airport after a five and a half hour delay in Dallas due to mechanical problems, looking at arriving in San Francisco rather than San Jose, coming in almost eight hours late, my plans for relaxing a day driving along the coast and walking the boardwalk in Santa Cruz before driving to a meeting in Monterey shot, two and a half hours with nothing to do, walking Terminal Four from gates A through D just for exercise, and what did I find but an Inmotion shop offering to let me listen to various IEMs.  The SE215s beckoned, though I had promised myself and my wife I wouldn’t buying any more IEMs after this year’s SM3s and W4s.  But they were only $100.  What can I say?  I was weak, very weak, and these were cheap, very cheap, for the sound quality I was hearing . . . .  I walked away with them trussed up in my carry-ons.

Now I’m waiting for the return flight in the San Jose airport, sipping a Gorden Biersch in the lounge, listening to these.  They’re really quite good.  The other IEMs I’ve brought on the trip which provide comparison for this A/B shoot-out are my trusty W3s and UE700s.

Compared to the UE700s: 

Bass: The SE215s win in this category hands down, being capable of powerful drama against which the UE700s are just too polite.  The SE215 wins here.

Mids: roughly equal.  The SE215s mids are a bit smoother.  Winner: Tie.

Treble: No doubt about it, the UE700s have much more.  They add an extra edge to multiple electronic instruments, bringing out the squares of the squares waves.  However, as others have noted, this treble abundance can be fatiguing.  But, to me, treble is important.  The UE700s win here.

Isolation: The SE215s win here by a noticeable margin.  I’m using the small foam olives on the SE215s and the Comply’s on the UE700.

Spaciousness:  I’d call this a combination of sound stage and ambience.  The SE215s win here, but by a small margin.  I’m a bit surprised since I was expecting the more extended treble of the UE700s to give a boost to the ambience.  I test this on a passage from one of my own tracks were the first square wave passage swirls into the mix.  It should sound as though it’s linearly increasing as the mix pans around under the control of a low frequency oscillator.  At the end, there’s a burst of noise, followed by stereo echo of the swirl and a reverb of the noise.  Some IEMs, such as the UE700s, make the swirl more of a pulse from left to right and back.  The SE215 has the swirling sound with good ambience and reverb.  The SE215 wins here.

Handling dense passages:  I threw some crazy dense material at both of these.  The UE700 was a bit better at bringing out the different tracks, perhaps because of the better high frequency response which highlighted different attacks in the instruments.  At the same time, the UE700s exhibited a bit of distortion now and then which was absent on the SE215s.  Winner: Toss up.

Ergonomics:  Nothing much beats the UE700s for being discrete in public with low microphonics.  The memory wire on the SE215 doesn’t help me since I wear glasses, so this isn’t a deciding factor.  I’m using a different technique today to check microphonics.  My neck has made grinding noises ever since a 4th grade whiplash sustained playing football with my then girl friend.  (Where are you Johanna?)  With the SE215s, cable noise as I turn my neck is about on equal to the grinding of my neck.  With the UE700s, the cable is much quieter in comparison, being practically inaudible.  Winner: UE700s.

Winner: SE215s.  The SE215s are easier to listen to.  I can see these becoming a solid back-up set to my traveling W3s.

Compared to the W3s.

Compare a $100 IEM to a (currently) $350?  Why not?  It’s not the price that counts, but the sound quality.

Bass:  If you’ve studied reports of the W3s sound signature, you know there is a mid bass hump.  This hump is absent from the SE215.  Listening to some crossover Gregorian chant (Jeff Danna), I felt the SE215 extending down and down and down, seemingly lower than the W3s.  On the other hand, when I listened to Gardiner’s version of Beethoven’s 5th, the bass of the SE215 brought the acoustic basses and double basses too far forward in the mix.  The better balance was the W3.  Winner, W3.

Mids:  Hmm.  Compared side by side, there seems to be a bit of upper mid boost in the SE215 compared to the W3s.  It adds a slight boxy sound to the SE215s.  Though a tad recessed, the W3 doesn’t have this slightly boxy quality.  Winner, W3.

Treble: No question here, the W3’s treble blows the SE215 smoothly rolled off treble presentation out of the water.  The clear winner is the W3.

Ergonomics:  The W3s have significantly fewer microphonics than the SE215s.  Again, the same test used as above—how does the sound compare to my neck noise?  With the W3s, all I hear is neck noise.  With the SE215s, there’s the cable noise and the neck noise.   The W3 cable also tucks under my glasses better than the SE215 cable.  Winner, W3.

Sound isolation:  I’m on the plane, and the SE215 is blocking a bit more noise than the long Comply tips.  Cudo’s to the dense foam in the Shure tips.  Winner, SE215 by a slight margin.

Spaciousness:  Okay, there was a lot of back and forth on this one.  It’s very nearly a tie.  Both are wide IEMs, airy and open, capable of showing the ambience.  The slight emphasis of the upper mids of the SE215s compared to the W3s gives them a bit more boxy sound, which, when observed, impedes some the pleasure from the ambience.  Winner, W3 by a hair.

Winner: The W3s are the clear winner.  Okay, they cost 3.5x  as much as the SE215s.  But wouldn’t it have been nice for them to have bested the W3s?

Gripes:

The case on the SE215s is not the best for traveling.  It’s soft, meaning if you shove it in your luggage, you might end up with a broken sound nozzle if something heavy is dropped onto it.  It’s also as large as my Ipod Classic.  A better bet is to pick up a Westone case or the Shure hard case if they sell it separately.  The cases of the competition here, both for the UE700 and W3s, are better for traveling.

Secondly, the plug on the SE215 is large.  Forget about plugging it into most Iphone 4 cases.  It would be nice to follow the trend of the new W4’s, the Monster Turbine Pros, or the UEs and make the connector small enough to fit the Iphone standard.

Finally, the cable is pretty long.  It should work well for you if you’re a seven foot tall basketball player.

Next, when I get some time, a comparison to the Monster Turbine Pro Coppers.

Apr 13, 2011 at 10:09 PM Post #485 of 1,937

Quote:
I dont get fatigue at all, but my longest period using these IEM might not be the whole one day. Can you specify more about the duration you meant before?

Thanks for the response. 8-5 at work. I feel some bass heavy iems, although I like them, the atrios, get somewhat fatiguing. As well as sharp sounding highly resolving iems like dba-02s. I guess I listen to quite a bit of poor sources too like internet radio so it prob not be the 'phones fault. I guess I might be looking to see if the se215 was balanced but not too resolving.  

For a while I thought BA based 'phones may be better than dynamics for longer periods of listening due to pressure, but realized sound = pressure...so that might not be true.

Apr 14, 2011 at 12:30 AM Post #487 of 1,937
I had a chance to do a side by side comparison between the SE215s and the Moster Turbine Pro Coppers.  The following are my impressions:

Bass:  There is a lot of similarity in the bass characteristics of the SE215s and the MTPCs to my ear.  The MTPC's bass is a bit more pronounced, but at the same time a bit boomier, with a bit more emphasis in the mid bass than the SE215.  The SE215 goes deeper, seemingly more linearly.  Overall, I like the SE215 better.  Winner: SE215

Mids: Wow, compared to the MTPCs, the SE215s really shine here.  The SE215s mid are more forward, more organic, and just more pleasant to my ear.  Winner: SE215

Treble:  Quantity wise, the MTPCs has more treble and better treble extension.  Both can be a bit strident at times.  The MTPC has more sparkle.  The SE215 is a bit warmer.  It comes down to a matter of preference.  Winner: MTPC.

Ergonomics:  Both have more microphonics than the UE700s or W3s.  When moving around, the cable noise of both seemed about equal.  However, when comparing which tip is held better on the sound tube, the SE215s win.  I suspect it's due to the relatively loose fit of the Comply tips on the MTPCs sound tubes.  In fact, I've switched to using the Comply's made for the UE Super.Fi / Triple.Fi series since these are 0.2mm smaller in diameter and just fit the MTPCs better.  I'm tired of having the Complies come off of the MTPCs in my ears.  Winner: SE215s for the better grip on the tips.

Sound Isolation:  No question here but that the SE215s provide more isolation than the MTPCs (Comply tips used on the MTPCs, Shure foams on the SE215s.)  I've always been a bit disappointed with the isolation of the MTPCs.  The sound is probably due to the loose fit of the tips noted above.  Winner: SE215s.

Spaciousness:  This is a tough contest.  The strong treble performance of the MTPCs gives the music some air and ambience that the SE215s lack.  The sound stage is about equal.  But, even with the air, the MTPCs sound a bit muffled and locked in, especially at lower volume levels, perhaps due to the different mid and upper mid treatment.  It's a hard choice, but I think the MTPCs have the edge.  Winner: MTPCs.

Winner:  SE215s by a bit, but it's not a huge margin.  The MTPCs give you more treble, the SE215s a bit more mid range.  If you factor in the cost of the MTPCs, there is quite a difference in favor of the SE215s.

Apr 14, 2011 at 12:50 AM Post #488 of 1,937
wow I am just not hearing these the same as others...swapped them out for my m6p's today at the gym and enjoyed the m6's much more than the 215's.  To my ears the regular turbines are far more enjoyable than the 215's and my Miles Davis' are so much better its not even much of a comparison.  To me the lack of high end feels way too unbalanced and off putting.  Think I will probably sell mine and go with the m6's for the gym.  I am not trying to start any arguments or disagree with anyone, just expressing a differing opinion

Apr 14, 2011 at 2:55 AM Post #489 of 1,937

Quote:

The small / medium comply T-100 with the small / medium Shures seem similar in size. The Comply's have nothing as wide as the Shure large. It's just crazy big.
blink.gif

The 'Standard' P-series is longer than the rest and even when trimmed makes the best and deepest seal. The diameter of the T-100 is fine for me, but it's too short for a complete seal.

Hope that helps.

As for the SE215 v. E4c: Thanks for the comparison. The E4c is still a pretty darn good IEM. It's a little slow and muted, but not bad. It's got a slight roll-off in the highs and not the greatest bass response, but it's a perfectly respectable unit that is relatively neutral through the rest of the spectrum. Yes the fit of the E4c is very easy to work with. The SE215 (I assume), is much like many of the other newer Shure's (and other mfgr's) in that it's body sits flat against the concha. There is not much adjustment possible. So the length of the added tip will determine the depth.

Thanks again.

Thanks for the help. I might give the P series a try, thanks for the links.

I agree the E4C is a good IEM, mine are still working after 5-6 years of use, its just the rubber strain relief where the cable enters the ear phone is perishing and I expect it would not last much longer before any strain presented would then be put on the actually wire connections. I'm keeping the E4C for an emergency pair of IEM's.

Apr 14, 2011 at 5:00 AM Post #490 of 1,937
I just got mine in today and am really impressed. I do have one "problem" though. It seems that the right ear piece is louder than the left. Both of them fit snug with the large foam tips and I have them in as far as they can go, but for some reason i keep hearing like the right is louder. Is this something that will balance out over time and maybe a good burn in, or are these defected?   Im just listening on my laptop and I know with my other IEM's it sounds even as can be. Any htoughts?

Apr 14, 2011 at 5:02 AM Post #491 of 1,937

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fyro 

Is it just me, or has anyone else noticed a little amount of distortion on certain frequencies?

yes it could be your laptop, or even the track-iems can be so intimate that you hear errors with the original master recording.  My 215s are resolving deep basslines well. if they're faulty return them, just check multiple sources 1st (music & DAP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiperjp 

I'm having no sound in the left earphone! :frowning2:

2 weeks whit this earphones and today I have no sound, the last night I was listening music in both earphones. To test the problem I have switched the left with right earphone in the cable and it's ok, it's not the cable.

I feel your pain. I think Shure have 2 year warranty so hit them up

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyD916 

Okay i will just do that then.

..and yes the recent feud between Rossi and Stoner was quit entertaining. I just couldn't believe that Colin Edwards couldn't hold on for 3rd. Crashing on the last lap!!!! Poor guy.

IIRC Spies inherited 3rd then crashed out which promoted Edwards who then had a bike malfunction...which promoted the usually luckless Hayden to the podium- and of course Rossi had a brain malfunction which began all the carnage.  Best race this season (ok its only the 2nd...) I then went to my local track last week and crashed on slicks in the wet...ouch, crutches are such a pain.

Quote:
  The SE215s beckoned, though I had promised myself and my wife I wouldn’t buying any more IEMs after this year’s SM3s and W4s.  But they were only $100.  What can I say? 

Winner: The W3s are the clear winner.  Okay, they cost 3.5x  as much as the SE215s.  But wouldn’t it have been nice for them to have bested the W3s?

Gripes:

Finally, the cable is pretty long.  It should work well for you if you’re a seven foot tall basketball player.

No discipline, my wife would have eaten you for breakfast!
biggrin.gif

Going on what I can tell so far, your 215 descriptions are pretty consistent with what I'm hearing, maybe some of that missing top end will appear with burn in.

And damn that cable is long but after the HJE900 I'd rather a little long than short...

Apr 14, 2011 at 9:13 AM Post #492 of 1,937
Just tried the SE215 paired with an Atrio eartip.

Sensed better bass extension and treble energy, makes for a better pairing vs the Earsonics Biflange IMO :xf_eek:

Apr 14, 2011 at 10:32 AM Post #493 of 1,937

Quote:
wow I am just not hearing these the same as others...swapped them out for my m6p's today at the gym and enjoyed the m6's much more than the 215's.  To my ears the regular turbines are far more enjoyable than the 215's and my Miles Davis' are so much better its not even much of a comparison.  To me the lack of high end feels way too unbalanced and off putting.  Think I will probably sell mine and go with the m6's for the gym.  I am not trying to start any arguments or disagree with anyone, just expressing a differing opinion

Hey everyone hears things differently, don't feel bad for expressing your opinions. I have owned 2-3 pairs of M6s and every time I put them in my ear I want to rip them out after a couple minutes. The sound quality is okay for the price, but just too lacking in so many ways. The sound of the M6 is very unrefined and passages become very grainy. I get the feeling that I'm suffocating in a box and the sound is very artificial and unsmooth. I get the feeling that the M6 struggles with a lot of passages whereas the SE215 feels effortless in most music.

Apr 14, 2011 at 11:39 AM Post #494 of 1,937

Quote:
I just got mine in today and am really impressed. I do have one "problem" though. It seems that the right ear piece is louder than the left. Both of them fit snug with the large foam tips and I have them in as far as they can go, but for some reason i keep hearing like the right is louder. Is this something that will balance out over time and maybe a good burn in, or are these defected?   Im just listening on my laptop and I know with my other IEM's it sounds even as can be. Any htoughts?

they should be identical from the outset.  have you tried swapping them round, and different sources? is the jack fully inserted? if its not all the way in it'll sound odd

Apr 14, 2011 at 12:49 PM Post #495 of 1,937

Quote:
they should be identical from the outset.  have you tried swapping them round, and different sources? is the jack fully inserted? if its not all the way in it'll sound odd

Having one inserted slightly differently than the other can have an effect.  Swapping them around is a good idea.  I sould suggest swapping the cable around too.  If you can manage it (you may need somebody else to do it for you) switch the cable around on the earpieces with the earpieces still inserted in your ears.  If the problem stays with the ear, then you have either a "defective" ear or a defective earpiece.  If the problem switches to the other ear, then you have an issue with the source or possibly (though I think very unlikely) the cable.  As somebody else pointed out, IEMs can exaggerate flaws in a source that normally wouldn't be apparent.  I noticed this with my 315's.

BTW, "defective" ear could just be that your ear is a bit clogged from getting water in it in the shower, allergies, cold, etc.  When I first got my 315's, I thought there was an imbalance between the channels.  It turned out my right ear was slightly clogged.  It's the kind of thing that once you notice it, it will drive you crazy!

Good luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back