New Shure SE215 - First Impressions
Mar 30, 2011 at 3:14 PM Post #362 of 1,937
Well, I think the honeymoon is over.

The isolation of the SE215's is superior to that of my IE8's, and they've proven themselves valuable when I'm stuck next to obnoxious loud people on the public transit. They also have a flatter sound sig. which makes them great for watching TV on the laptop (again while commuting) so they are keepers as they are useful to me, but I've found myself gravitating back to the IE8's for enjoying music when I have the choice.

Mar 30, 2011 at 3:49 PM Post #363 of 1,937

Quote:
Oh. And I hope this things are not refurbs

But what are the chances? Didn't they just come out?

Probably just furbs.
wink.gif

Mar 30, 2011 at 5:55 PM Post #365 of 1,937
Well looks like I missed UPS delivery so I should be getting these tomorrow then 
frown.gif

Mar 30, 2011 at 8:28 PM Post #366 of 1,937
I tried sleeping in them two nights ago. My ears are killing me now.

Oh well, they're still comfortable when I'm awake.

Mar 30, 2011 at 8:44 PM Post #367 of 1,937
I just demoed these using the grey soft flex tips which I always prefer, not as impressed as some people are. The bass is great but the midrange is not very clear; the shure midrange magic still sits in its armature models as I listened to the SE315 and SE425 afterwards. The midrange is not as smooth or as rich as the upper armature models but for pure bass amount, the SE215 top the SE425 and SE315. I heard some harshness and the treble is nothing to write home about. I can recommend these to a bass head though, they do have the fun factor. I tried the Klipsch S4 which is in the same price range, the midrange and treble is noticeably more refined compared to the SE215, the bass is solid but quantity wise it is not as much as the SE215. Not sure how much burn in will help these SE215, but my wallet is safe for now. Even though the sound is okay, the build and removeable cable still makes it a very attractive IEM. Soundwise, I prefered the S4. I was expecting the midrange to be better so I was a bit disappointed when I heard it, well you get what you pay for.

Mar 30, 2011 at 9:02 PM Post #368 of 1,937
how do these compare to the shure srh840. i hope they are better because i am not as impressed with the shure srh840 as i thought i would be. they sound good but not as good as i thought they would.

Mar 31, 2011 at 12:06 AM Post #370 of 1,937

Quote:
I just demoed these using the grey soft flex tips which I always prefer, not as impressed as some people are. 

Try them with the Olives. I feel that the soft flex tips have too small an opening and as a result the mid to higher frequencies are muffled.

Mar 31, 2011 at 12:10 AM Post #371 of 1,937
The Olives didn't play too nicely with me though.

Its worth using the SM3 biflanges or using the stalk of a Shure olive mounted with the newer Shure SCL2 black sleeve (3mm hollow tube) meant to replace the grey flex sleeves (2mm) if you have the resources to do so.

EDIT: On a related side note, could someone PM the URL of where the $65 deal over at Amazon was found? My searching skills seem to have failed as its $99 everywhere I see now.

Mar 31, 2011 at 12:21 AM Post #372 of 1,937
I'm new here (and to "good" earphones). I read here about Shure's "signature sound." I'm not a basshead by any means, and I started this journey my listening to some Beats headphones at the Apple store. I found that these wrecked the music I listen to by being too bass-y. (I'm more rock and blues and jazz than hip hop and dance.) Shure seems to have an interesting model here, and a good rep, but is the signature sound really, really heavy bass that'll put me off?

Also, can someone tell me about how these do with microphonics? I imagine that as an over-the-ear model they're quite good. But what about occlusion (the "walking noise")? Are they just as bad as any IEM? I'm considering these or maybe the Phonak Audéos, but I'm a slow shopper.

Mar 31, 2011 at 12:30 AM Post #373 of 1,937
I have some problem with the shure olives and the silicone. Its too big for my ears, although it already in small size. I have comply foam, and I really love that attached to my a-jays, so I pressume it will also work great on my shure, although the type is different, t-200 fro a-jays and t-100 for shure. Do you guys have any idea about these?

Or should I buy the shure bi-flange? How big is that compare to the small size olives?

Thanks

Mar 31, 2011 at 12:42 AM Post #374 of 1,937
I am using the Sensorcom Bi-flange tips I got for my SM3 and they are more comfortable, more isolating, and I believe they allow a bit more treble as well.

Mar 31, 2011 at 12:54 AM Post #375 of 1,937
"could someone PM the URL of where the $65 deal over at Amazon was found? My searching skills seem to have failed as its $99 everywhere I see now."

that deal went VERY FAST,    the last few sold within a minute,  luckily i typed quickly

Users who are viewing this thread

Back