New Shure SE215 - First Impressions
Mar 28, 2011 at 11:00 PM Post #317 of 1,937
Just received my SE 215 after 4 days of shipping from america, couldn't be happier. Well, I tried to put it on my ear, but since I can be categorized as small people, including my ear, the foam was too big, then I changed it to the smallest one. It then fit perfectly on my ear. Got to love the memory cable, it is comfortable. 

I'm must say, I'm a noob in this IEM world, this is my second IEM after a-jays three, so I could only compare those two. Well, I must say the SE215 has a lot of bass, not too much though. The bass is clean and well controlled. Mids are good. First time I turn this thing on, the mid was rubbish. But after few minutes, the mid change, become much better. About the high frequency , well, its just there. Nothing very special.But I like this kind of treble, because my ear is easily get fatigue by high freq. 

Listening to Kenny G, FLAC audio, the instrument separation is amazing, well, compared to a-jays three. But I have to say that a-jays three is a little bit better in high frequency. However, overall, SE215 make me smile.
etysmile.gif

Mar 28, 2011 at 11:21 PM Post #318 of 1,937
Hey Guys,  I've searched but have not seen any comparisons to the Monster Tubines... any comments?
Search for monster in just this thread and you will find a couple posts regarding them.

Mar 29, 2011 at 12:38 AM Post #319 of 1,937
Just purchased a pair of these bad boys from Ebay (Brand new) for $97 AUD.

Can't wait for them to arrive. I haven't bothered going through the 22 pages for impressions, but would be great to know exactly what I may find apart from a fun IEM, replacable cords and thumping bass :D

Btw, first post here :)

Mar 29, 2011 at 12:42 AM Post #320 of 1,937

Quote:
d1m4s said:
Just received my SE 215 after 4 days of shipping from america, couldn't be happier. Well, I tried to put it on my ear, but since I can be categorized as small people, including my ear, the foam was too big, then I changed it to the smallest one. It then fit perfectly on my ear. Got to love the memory cable, it is comfortable. 

I'm must say, I'm a noob in this IEM world, this is my second IEM after a-jays three, so I could only compare those two. Well, I must say the SE215 has a lot of bass, not too much though. The bass is clean and well controlled. Mids are good. First time I turn this thing on, the mid was rubbish. But after few minutes, the mid change, become much better. About the high frequency , well, its just there. Nothing very special.But I like this kind of treble, because my ear is easily get fatigue by high freq. 

Listening to Kenny G, FLAC audio, the instrument separation is amazing, well, compared to a-jays three. But I have to say that a-jays three is a little bit better in high frequency. However, overall, SE215 make me smile.
etysmile.gif

Good to know that I'm not alone.

Only other pair of decent Earphones I've had are some $80 Sony in-Ear's. Sound good, but they broke :frowning2:

I am probably the biggest noob here :p

Good to know that I will now be expecting a few changes once they bed in, as I am not used to IEM's. Apparently the bass get a little less overpowering as you use them, but in a good way?

- Fyro -

Mar 29, 2011 at 4:22 AM Post #321 of 1,937
I thought I'd join to give my impressions!

I have always been a Shure lover, right from the days of the e2c's but have tried numerous other headphones.

Having owned the SE210 all of a week ago, and stupid me losing them, seeing these for $99 including delivery off earphone solutions to the uk saw me clicking the purchase button!

First impressions- the build quality is ten fold better than the 210's. Genuinely this trumps them, the actual earpiece included.

I slipped them straight into my ear with ease. All I can say is that I'm very impressed. The first noticeable difference is the sound stage, it is massive compared. I feel surrounded with music as oppose to the 210's which sounded quite small, like the band were in your ears... Not on stage where they should be.

The bass also is much more pronounced, tighter and punchier without leading me away from the vocals etc.

If anyone else wants any more comparisons to 210's then please just ask.
Mainly though, these win, by quite a margin!

Mar 29, 2011 at 6:34 AM Post #323 of 1,937
Well, I came across a 15% discount code for earphone solutions- $99 + $15 shipping minus the 15% off the item means $99 including shipping! Comes to about £63 give or take a few quid. Not a bad purchase... Charged no import tax or anything either!!

Mar 29, 2011 at 9:32 AM Post #324 of 1,937

Quote:
How do you manage to get 90AUD? is that including shipping?

hmm, the smallest foam from shure, is still a little bit too big for me, any recommendation for that?

Does that include the yellow foam tip?  That one seems to compress to a pretty small size.  When not resting my ear on a pillow, I find the yellow foam tips to be slightly more comfortable than the black foam tips.

Mar 29, 2011 at 9:44 AM Post #325 of 1,937
The CX150s arent good in my opinion at all, bass is non exsistant in most cases! So these sound like a worthy upgrade. Thanks

Quote:
For the CX150 owner, these will be a superior IEM but that is not a guarantee you will like them more. Depending on how much bass your current gives you and whether you like that will dictate how much you like these. They have more bass than a lot of IEM's but they do not have as much as a lot of consumer oriented IEM's. If on the other hand you want more clarity and possibly a bit less bass these may be right up your alley.

Mar 29, 2011 at 11:06 AM Post #327 of 1,937
No foam yellow tips in the package. Sorry. You know, initially I wasn't too impressed with the soundstage of these. I have to say, however, after four and half days of burning-in and listening, the soundstage has really opened up quite nicely. As some have mentioned already, these have very good instruments separation for dynamic drivers (I usually find BAs have the better instruments separation). I'm also impressed with details in vocals. It's not an analytical vocal sound (that you get with the C3 and somewhat with the Quad), but it's very detailed. This is a very detailed dynamic IEM. Not really big on immense micro-details as some of the more top tier IEMs, but not to skimpy on the details either. I'm really liking this more than I had anticipated, and have given my custom Quad a break (mainly for home and amp use now).

Mar 29, 2011 at 11:33 AM Post #328 of 1,937
Its a well rounded, fun sounding earphone overall, good secondary earphone to have around =)

Good to let people unfamiliar with decent earphones to listen to. Given the bass response of the earphones, it'd most likely impress them while carrying more prominent mids and a 'rightly' recessed treble, yet is still there enough to allow them to think of it as detail.

Curious though Eric, initially, I found that the upper mids of the SE215 was rather grainy, but since I don't own them, did you find that the upper mids improve any post a burn-in period?

Mar 29, 2011 at 12:19 PM Post #329 of 1,937
Yes, upper mids were a bit grainy, but have improved with burned-in. Give me another week or so and I'll let you know if it has settled in significantly or not.

Quote:
Its a well rounded, fun sounding earphone overall, good secondary earphone to have around =)

Good to let people unfamiliar with decent earphones to listen to. Given the bass response of the earphones, it'd most likely impress them while carrying more prominent mids and a 'rightly' recessed treble, yet is still there enough to allow them to think of it as detail.

Curious though Eric, initially, I found that the upper mids of the SE215 was rather grainy, but since I don't own them, did you find that the upper mids improve any post a burn-in period?

Mar 29, 2011 at 1:31 PM Post #330 of 1,937
Thanks Eric, looking forward to the results =)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back