New Shure SE215 - First Impressions
Mar 12, 2011 at 10:20 PM Post #106 of 1,937

Quote:
Hmm, the few impressions here, Joey's especially, gets me eager to compare them directly with the Custom 3.

Slight bass emphasis with a neutral midrange and slightly laid-back, but very well existent treble.

Hope a demo unit comes by these parts soon =)

I can say that I like these more than the Custom 3.  The Custom 3's came off kind of sterile or lifeless to me.  I couldn't find the fun in them.  These are definitely more fun.  Technically better?? Probably not.  I guess it depends on what you're looking for.  If you're looking for this "Slight bass emphasis with a neutral midrange and slightly laid-back, but very well existent treble."  That's what I hear from the 215's.

Mar 13, 2011 at 12:10 AM Post #107 of 1,937

Quote:
 If you're looking to stray from the analytical side, you might want to give these a shot.  They're not as over the top as some other mid-tier dynamics, but they're definitely skewed more towards the fun side (without the usual bloat or major flaw).

I'm not sure what I plan on doing with universals. I'll have the W4 soon and currently have one custom with another getting modified by UM so not really sure. However I did have a couple of Shure earphones in the past and they were pretty decent but overpriced. I'm not sure how long a fun iem will last in my possession since I live closer to the analytical side of things although most of my iems that I use are more balanced so who knows :p I'll wait for more impressions and until I get my W4 until I buy another universal...hopefully

Mar 13, 2011 at 3:15 PM Post #108 of 1,937
Ok, after a solid night of burn-in, these have settled in nicely.  The bass isn't as forward as it was out of the box.  It's still punchy and dynamic, but it doesn't overpower the mids or highs as before.

If I were to place these on a scale for presentation or sound shape (not a rating) using 5 for the mids (after about 16 hours on them) they would sit like this:  5.5 - bass, 5 - mids, 4.5- highs..  I'd still call them more of a descending slope, but they are much more balanced at this point .  Again, this is using the Medium olives.

They still thump nicely when called on: Fergie's - Clumsy, kicks nicely, but the bass doesn't draw as much attention to itself with other genre's.  These can still satisfy bassheads with great punch and excellent body for electronica/house/techno/pop and the like, without alienating the rest. 

There's no harshness to be found in these.  Nothing is overly aggressive at this point.  Classical music sounds fantastic, the Bergen Philharmonic Orchestra's performance of Griegs Music for strings is powerful and magestic.  Acoustic Alchemy's - The very best of..  is impressive.  The detail in the mids is excellent.  I have a Chesky recording of Larry Coryell, Victor Bailey and Lenny White's - Electric album that sounds amazing with the 215's. 

All in all, I can't say enough about these.  They are pretty amazing for the price and great for everyday - every genre listening.  They might not threaten true top tier IEM's, but I haven't heard anything else under $100 that can touch these for sound and comfort.  Throw in replaceable cables and you're set for quite some time.

Mar 13, 2011 at 3:20 PM Post #109 of 1,937
Think I'll get these instead of the w4's I had been contemplating for work use.  If anything happens to them I won't cry as much :)  Now just for the damn wait to get into stock in the uk at a site I've heard of!

Mar 13, 2011 at 3:26 PM Post #110 of 1,937

Quote:
Think I'll get these instead of the w4's I had been contemplating for work use.  If anything happens to them I won't cry as much :)  Now just for the damn wait to get into stock in the uk at a site I've heard of!

My W4's will most likely never leave my house.. LOL  I'd take these anywhere.

Mar 13, 2011 at 3:54 PM Post #112 of 1,937
@joey
could you comment on microphonics on the cord compared to a westone cord
and I see you've had the w2 in the past...how would you compare the shures to the w2's
thanks for being the guinea pig :)

Mar 13, 2011 at 5:05 PM Post #113 of 1,937

Quote:
@joey
could you comment on microphonics on the cord compared to a westone cord
and I see you've had the w2 in the past...how would you compare the shures to the w2's
thanks for being the guinea pig :)

There are very little microphonics, if any, with this cable.  Short of jumping up and down, I hear nothing transmitted when I smack the cable on my desk.   The 215's have more bass than the W2's. The mids are definitely better on the 215's but the W2's have better highs.  The W2's have been described by some (not me) as being too timid, almost boring.  I found them well balanced and pretty detailed.  The 215's are definitely more lively.  They may lack some of the definition of the W2, but they make up for it with fun.  I always liked the W2's versatility (good with every genre), but I now have that versatility with a bit of flavor.

If the W2's were ice cream, they might be described as vanilla. The 215's are more like chocolate chip ice cream with hot fudge and whipped cream.  No cherry though!! It would take a little more presence in the highs to make them a true delight :)

Mar 13, 2011 at 8:40 PM Post #114 of 1,937
These seem really impressive for the price.  I'm not a serious audiophile, but I bought a pair of TF10s during the Amazon sale. They are by far the best sounding headphones I've ever heard.  I also have the Meelec M6, which are nice, but nowhere in the TF10 category.   I've been considering getting the TF10 reshelled since they aren't too comfortable.  (Comfort and isolation are my top prioroities).  Now I'm considering buying these, reselling the TF10 and calling it a day.  I'm assuming these would be more on the quality scale of the TF10 rather than the M6 (which I find a little boomy with some harsh treble).

Mar 13, 2011 at 8:46 PM Post #115 of 1,937
Ordered and eagerly anticipating delivery!

Edit: forgot to mention that one of the selling features for me was the iPhone compatible cable as an optional accessory. If these fit me well, then I plan on buying the iPhone cable... then upgrading to the big-boy version se535 at the end of the year!

Mar 13, 2011 at 9:18 PM Post #116 of 1,937

Quote:
These seem really impressive for the price.  I'm not a serious audiophile, but I bought a pair of TF10s during the Amazon sale. They are by far the best sounding headphones I've ever heard.  I also have the Meelec M6, which are nice, but nowhere in the TF10 category.   I've been considering getting the TF10 reshelled since they aren't too comfortable.  (Comfort and isolation are my top prioroities).  Now I'm considering buying these, reselling the TF10 and calling it a day.  I'm assuming these would be more on the quality scale of the TF10 rather than the M6 (which I find a little boomy with some harsh treble).

You would be correct.  While these won't give you the level of detail of the TF10, they should be more agreeable comfort wise.  Keep in mind that the TF10 is still considered top tier by many and originally sold for 3 times the price you paid for them. Given my choice after owning and listening to both, even at the amazon price, I'd still choose the 215's.  While the TF10 is technically superior, the fit was bothersome for me and I found the highs to be a little cold/dry and the mids recessed.  As for the 215's, the isolation is excellent with either the silicon tips or the olives.  Compared to the M6: The highs are nowhere near as aggressive, and the bass isn't as boomy (especially after about 15 hours or so).  The mids are much more present and the total package (sound and accessory wise) is a significant step up, as it should be for the price difference.

Mar 13, 2011 at 9:58 PM Post #117 of 1,937
Thanks, that was exactly what I was hoping to hear.  The whole custom reshelling process seems a little intimidating for my admittedly limited needs, sound-wise.  If the 215s sound good, can block out airplane noise, and I can lay my head on a pillow, I should be set.  Obviously, I'll buy these before reselling the TF10 (and I may end up convincing myself to keep them anyway since I was already prepared to sink another $125 or so on the reshell!).

Mar 14, 2011 at 12:43 AM Post #118 of 1,937
@joey:

Thanks for the reply =)

I've reached a stage where technical performance doesn't bother me as much as sound sig properties and comfort/fit of the earphone does now. Gotta admit that the similarities pointed between the SE215 and KC3 has me intrigued in them. The replaceable and low microphonic cables are a boon as well over the KC3's nylon covered cable (Klipsch really didn't do their experiment here, I'vve got a nylon cable that doesn't bend so badly and still produce much less cable microphonics with me that I paired with my old SE420, its kinda like Logitech with their G00 vs the cheaper OCZ Behemoth with their nylon cover, where the cheaper OCZ wins)

The SE215s sound just right, but its gonna be deciding between them or the GR07, or maybe reshelling/recabling the KC3 as my wallet presently allows for one of those at the moment.

Mar 14, 2011 at 1:28 AM Post #120 of 1,937
When it comes to technical performance, I don't doubt that, but sound sig plays a very important role too =)

The comfort may have played nicely with the GR04, which basically is of the same shell shaping and size compared to the GR07, but its not an earphone I can use for sleeping on one side with, yet I could do so with the SE425, so this is one very important factor I'm considering =)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back