New Shure SE215 - First Impressions
Mar 12, 2011 at 3:39 PM Post #91 of 1,937
I know theyre totally different cords, but are microphonics on a similar level to westones?
I'm looking at these as a gym/yardwork/walking the dog iem and have been using a westone for this which has been great, but want to downgrade and this looks like a good option
thanks for the first impressions...can't wait to hear more

Mar 12, 2011 at 3:46 PM Post #92 of 1,937
Well, mine are now up for sale in the Classified forum if anyone is interested.  Tried to mess with them more this morning, but to no avail.  Stupid ears!  I so wish these things worked for me because I love the sound.  Oh well.  :frowning2:

Mar 12, 2011 at 3:52 PM Post #93 of 1,937
Joey..glad to read your impressions...exactly what I was hoping for for a second Iem for exercise..chores outside etc. I was looking forward all through work today to coming home and finding them in my mailbox. Not to be!! Darn...When I tracked them..they are about 75 miles away in a post office they shouldn't have went to.. sais "misrouted" on tracking. Never ran into that before..I am sure I'll get them on Monday and this is no fault of Earphonesolutions... just an unfortunate screw up by U.S. mail.

Mar 12, 2011 at 3:59 PM Post #94 of 1,937

Quote:
I would like to know how these compare to the Panasonic HJE900's.

Keep in mind that I'm going from memory but here's what I think...

I prefer the SE215's over the HJE900's.  The 900's were pretty agressive up high and the mids were recessed to my ears (even with the foam mod).  The Shure's don't spike up high and the mids are smoother and more forward than the 900's. Their bass is similar.  The 900's might have more punch/impact, but the Shure's aren't far behind.  The Shure mids and less aggressive highs make all the difference for me.  Add in the form factor of the Shure's and it's a no brainer for me.

Mar 12, 2011 at 4:04 PM Post #95 of 1,937
@Joeyrusso, I also have a pair of SM3. If you have used or own those how would you say the SE215 are in comparison to the SM3 sound wise and comfort wise?

Mar 12, 2011 at 4:12 PM Post #96 of 1,937
The SE215 seems real tempting to me for some reason. Shure would need to come up with something special for me to grab a pair. I don't even need another earphone and dunno why I'm even looking at these :T

Mar 12, 2011 at 4:26 PM Post #97 of 1,937

Quote:
@Joeyrusso, I also have a pair of SM3. If you have used or own those how would you say the SE215 are in comparison to the SM3 sound wise and comfort wise?

Sorry, I have no experience with the SM3.

Mar 12, 2011 at 4:35 PM Post #98 of 1,937

Quote:
The SE215 seems real tempting to me for some reason. Shure would need to come up with something special for me to grab a pair. I don't even need another earphone and dunno why I'm even looking at these :T

If you're looking to stray from the analytical side, you might want to give these a shot.  They're not as over the top as some other mid-tier dynamics, but they're definitely skewed more towards the fun side (without the usual bloat or major flaw).

Mar 12, 2011 at 5:52 PM Post #99 of 1,937
i think im gonna order a pair from earphonesolutions this weekend

my se210s bit the dust last week AND my turbines ****ed up today. i just need something inexpensive for everyday use right now

Mar 12, 2011 at 5:56 PM Post #100 of 1,937

Quote:
Keep in mind that I'm going from memory but here's what I think...

I prefer the SE215's over the HJE900's.  The 900's were pretty agressive up high and the mids were recessed to my ears (even with the foam mod).  The Shure's don't spike up high and the mids are smoother and more forward than the 900's. Their bass is similar.  The 900's might have more punch/impact, but the Shure's aren't far behind.  The Shure mids and less aggressive highs make all the difference for me.  Add in the form factor of the Shure's and it's a no brainer for me.

I just ordered some HJE900's from a fellow headfier.  If they aren't to my liking, then I'm going to try the Shures.

Mar 12, 2011 at 6:05 PM Post #101 of 1,937

Quote:

I just ordered some HJE900's from a fellow headfier.  If they aren't to my liking, then I'm going to try the Shures.

If the 900's are too bright for you and you hear the mids the way I did, recessed, then I highly recommend the Shures. 

Mar 12, 2011 at 6:22 PM Post #102 of 1,937

Quote:
@joeyrusso that sounds very promising :). I may have found a better Denon D7000 IEM alternative than my Denon AHC-560R from the sounds of it. But of course only my ears will be able to confirm that. It's interesting about the cable as I was under the impression the cable was the same as the SE535. It may explain why the Iphone version was $50 more though as that model specifically states it comes with the 535 iphone cable. Thats OK though as I deliberately bought the non-iphone version because I can buy the iphone cable for just about the same price ultimately and then I will have a backup cable in case the one breaks or if I am using them on a device that doesn't work well with the iphone tip.

For those with an iPhone, depending on the size of the headphone out opening on your case, you may need to modify the case or the plastic at the base of the 215's plug.  It should be an easy fix either way.  The plug is surrounded by a thicker than normal surround.  See the pics below:

I'll most likely taper mine.

Mar 12, 2011 at 8:24 PM Post #103 of 1,937
Hmm, the few impressions here, Joey's especially, gets me eager to compare them directly with the Custom 3.

Slight bass emphasis with a neutral midrange and slightly laid-back, but very well existent treble.

Hope a demo unit comes by these parts soon =)

Mar 12, 2011 at 10:12 PM Post #105 of 1,937

Quote:
@Joey Would you say the mids are neutral or slightly forward?

With only a few hours on them.. I'd call them more neutral than forward. The bass is really fun on these and that's what stands out right now.  Compared to the SRH840's these have less shine/sparkle and a bit more punch to the bass.  I can't call these V shaped, the highs just aren't forward enough for that.  At this point, if there's a peak anywhere it's in the lows.  These are a smooth (read unfatiguing - not soft) listen with a little kick.  The mids really shine.  I'm listening to Rodrigo y Gabriela's version of Stairway to Heaven right now and the 215's bring that song home really well.  These also do well with Jazz and can handle Shadows Fall - Redemption, Linkin Park's - Lying From You, Godsmack's Awake and other "busy" songs without sounding overwhelmed.  Guitars have bite to them, Pantera's Cowboys from Hell makes me want to crank these up.  The 215's are warm but still have enough bite to keep you entertained.  The mids aren't aggressive, but they are Shure through and through, I only wish the highs were a bit more forward.  The details are there, they're just a little laid back.  All in all, I'm quite impressed with these.  I can honestly say I like these more than the 535's.  The 535's might be technically better, but these are more fun.  These aren't as detailed as a top tier, but they're not supposed to be. 

If I were to try to place these on a scale for presentation or sound shape (not a rating) using 5 for the mids (after only a few hours) they would sit like this:  6/7 - bass, 5 - mids, 4- highs..  I'd call them more of a descending slope instead of a V shape.  Again, this is just what I hear at this point with the Medium olives.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back