New Shure SE215 - First Impressions
Apr 14, 2017 at 11:16 AM Post #1,906 of 1,937
Beware people, there may be some counterfeited se215m+ floating around. I've bought a BNIB pair from kijiji (basically a Canadian version of craigslist). Everything checked out, but the sound is different from my old pair of se215 (sold a few years ago but bought at future shop). Also, the packaging is somewhat off:
- the color on the packaging is somewhat green-ish instead of black
- the layout of the design is somewhat off
- zipper and carabiner on the case are on the "wrong" side
- the case is slightly less oval and bigger
compared my packaging with theses pics: https://bbs.danawa.com/view?boardSeq=264&listSeq=3277813

Also, during my google images search, I found this link: http://www.diytrade.com/china/pd/20385954/SHURE_SE215M_SPECIAL_EDITION_Sound_Isolating_Earphones.html
This leads me to believe that my pair might've come from a similar batch. I sent an email to Shure to confirm whether the pair I bought were fakes by providing them with the serial number. Will report back.

EDIT: I purchased a pair off Amazon (sold and distributed by Amazon). There is a difference in clarity and noise isolation - both of which the "real" pair had more of. Packaging was definitely different with regard to the box, provided case, the way the litterature is packaged and print quality. Beware, people.

Apr 14, 2017 at 11:23 AM Post #1,907 of 1,937
  https://www.massdrop.com/buy/shure-se215-earphones They are on Massdrop again for $85

Ok price, not massdrop worthy for sure. Man, I remember back in the days I got a pair from Future Shop on sale at 60 CAD! It's too bad that the MRSP shot up since, creating a false impression that this is a good price. Otherwise they're a very durable and excellent isolating pair of buds.

Jun 29, 2017 at 5:08 PM Post #1,908 of 1,937
Hi. I need some opinions of these, could someone compare and see if mine are fake. The letter R looks different to other pictures I have seen and there is suppose to be a serial number on the case itself and some other build quality issues, sorry not the best pictures.

IMAG0873.jpg

IMAG0874.jpg

IMAG0876.jpg

IMAG0877.jpg

IMAG0887.jpg

Last edited:
May 27, 2018 at 11:58 AM Post #1,915 of 1,937
Does anyone know how the SE215 compare to the beatsX? I’ve heard great things about beats in the sense that they’ve improved quite a bit over the years. I’m just trying to get a great sounding Bluetooth headphone and also trying to gauge what the SE215 sound like. A friend of mine has the beatsX so I can easily give those a listen to.

I typically listen to rap and hip-hop so I like bass heavy music. As a result I’m also eyeing the blue special edition SE215. Anyone have any advice?

May 29, 2018 at 3:28 AM Post #1,916 of 1,937
Does anyone know how the SE215 compare to the beatsX? I’ve heard great things about beats in the sense that they’ve improved quite a bit over the years. I’m just trying to get a great sounding Bluetooth headphone and also trying to gauge what the SE215 sound like. A friend of mine has the beatsX so I can easily give those a listen to.

I typically listen to rap and hip-hop so I like bass heavy music. As a result I’m also eyeing the blue special edition SE215. Anyone have any advice?

Definitely have a listen first. The Shure house sound is not for everyone. The 215 are the least 'Shure-like' but still have a slightly subdued treble and a focus on mids. The bass is also a bit sloppy but I feel that way about pretty much everything under $500ish that has a boost to the low end. It is tremendously hard to make tight, textured, controlled bass that is also boosted above neutral without complicated tuning or a fancy driver setup which inherently adds to cost.

As far as the Beats go, I still haven't heard any that I would consider purchasing. I haven't heard the BeatsX, but every previous version of Beats I've heard have been blown away by iems for half or a quarter of the price. Even if you don't have an ear for clarity or neutrality (which the Beats I've heard have had none of) and just want the poppy Beats V-shape there are a ton of sub $100 chi-fi iems that are absolutely on par or better than Beats. I have a bit of a personal issue with Beats though because they put marketing ahead of audio fidelity for so long. Even if they turn things around now, I still won't like the company...

May 30, 2018 at 6:03 PM Post #1,917 of 1,937

I have both. Beats X are better in my opinion, as well as much more convenient due to the W1 chip of Apple. Beats anymore are not like they used to be, but especially Beats X have nothing to do with the rest Beats, they are 100% Apple, using also the proprietary lightning port for charging...They are light, with a rather clever cable management so that it does not approach your face. They are also the most stable, consistent and comfortable iems I’ve ever used.

When you find this audio quality, wireless, you just do not go back to cables, never again...

Read the tests below to see for yourself. It’s a really balanced sound:

https://www.rtings.com/headphones/reviews/beats/beats-x

Last edited:
May 31, 2018 at 3:23 AM Post #1,918 of 1,937
I have both. Beats X are better in my opinion, as well as much more convenient due to the W1 chip of Apple. Beats anymore are not like they used to be, but especially Beats X have nothing to do with the rest Beats, they are 100% Apple, using also the proprietary lightning port for charging...They are light, with a rather clever cable management so that it does not approach your face. They are also the most stable, consistent and comfortable iems I’ve ever used.

When you find this audio quality, wireless, you just do not go back to cables, never again...

Read the tests below to see for yourself. It’s a really balanced sound:

https://www.rtings.com/headphones/reviews/beats/beats-x

Wow, now I'm tempted to check those out if they are actually worth the price

May 31, 2018 at 3:56 AM Post #1,919 of 1,937
Wow, now I'm tempted to check those out if they are actually worth the price

I forgot to mention that I believe they are really worth it if you use them with an iPhone since in that case they make full use of Apple’s W1 chip, as well as of AAC audio files through Bluetooth with Apple Music. If you are on Android though I am not sure whether you can get full benefit or not...In any case Beats X are really good and quite honest for what they are...

Jun 1, 2018 at 2:29 AM Post #1,920 of 1,937
I forgot to mention that I believe they are really worth it if you use them with an iPhone since in that case they make full use of Apple’s W1 chip, as well as of AAC audio files through Bluetooth with Apple Music. If you are on Android though I am not sure whether you can get full benefit or not...In any case Beats X are really good and quite honest for what they are...

Ah in that case, no thanks. I'll just go back to hating Apple and Beats even if they are worth the inflated price :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back