New Shure SE215 - First Impressions
Feb 8, 2017 at 11:52 AM Post #1,831 of 1,937
Need a neutral opinion here, has anyone compared these with the One More Triple Driver ? I bought them a week ago and the sound is fantastic. However, they are not comfortable. Also, I am not a bass head at all so I am looking for a neutral sound with any kind of music, specially alternative rock. Which do you think are better overall ?

Feb 8, 2017 at 1:04 PM Post #1,832 of 1,937
  Need a neutral opinion here, has anyone compared these with the One More Triple Driver ? I bought them a week ago and the sound is fantastic. However, they are not comfortable. Also, I am not a bass head at all so I am looking for a neutral sound with any kind of music, specially alternative rock. Which do you think are better overall ?

The Shure SE215 sound is not awesome, but the comfort yes, pretty much, and help to enjoy the ride without the chatt-bus.

Feb 8, 2017 at 1:47 PM Post #1,833 of 1,937
They sound totally awesome to me. Been using them with the Mojo when driving back and forth from work.

On one occasion I wore the old SE530s... Then cursed myself that I didn't bring the SE215. The 215s sound very natural... And neutral to me.

Feb 15, 2017 at 4:57 PM Post #1,834 of 1,937
 Quote:
They sound totally awesome to me. Been using them with the Mojo when driving back and forth from work.

On one occasion I wore the old SE530s... Then cursed myself that I didn't bring the SE215. The 215s sound very natural... And neutral to me.

I prefer the SE215 over the SE535, as the SE215 definitely has better highs. If they put one more tweeter in the SE535 it would be perfect though.

Feb 16, 2017 at 5:48 AM Post #1,835 of 1,937
 Quote:

I prefer the SE215 over the SE535, as the SE215 definitely has better highs. If they put one more tweeter in the SE535 it would be perfect though.

Yes. I don't think the 535s were much different to the 530s. I always found the 530s a bit dark. Although transient response is better with the 530s, the 215s have a more complete frequency response. The bass , though not as tight, is more versatile...And to me they are coming in at a more realistic level relative to mids.

These really are the ultimate reference for me at the moment.

Actually the other day I forgot to bring the OTG cable for the Mojo. So just stuck them in the Nexus 5 phone, couldn't believe how terrible they sounded out of the phone. Dark, fuzzy, veiled, generally very bad compared to out the Mojo.

Feb 16, 2017 at 8:17 AM Post #1,836 of 1,937
I have a technical question about the shure se215s. Not sure if this is the right forum, but let me know if there another. I was trying to get some earwax out of the nozzle part that the tips push onto and accidentally pushed some earwax into the unit/assembly...i contacted shure and they said there's no way to suck it out.... There's no sound difference, but I'm worried it might cause problems. Any suggestions or ideas of what I could do, or will it not cause any harm?!
Thank you

Feb 16, 2017 at 8:28 AM Post #1,837 of 1,937
I have a technical question about the shure se215s. Not sure if this is the right forum, but let me know if there another. I was trying to get some earwax out of the nozzle part that the tips push onto and accidentally pushed some earwax into the unit/assembly...i contacted shure and they said there's no way to suck it out.... There's no sound difference, but I'm worried it might cause problems. Any suggestions or ideas of what I could do, or will it not cause any harm?!
Thank you

You need a hearing aid vacuum cleaner...

https://www.maxiaids.com/professional-hearing-aid-vacuum-cleaner

Feb 16, 2017 at 10:51 AM Post #1,838 of 1,937
Thank you

I have been able to clean the nozzle using a fine sewing needle and thread. I wrap the thread around the eye end of the needle and perform very cearful cleaning with this "mini Q-tip" arrangement.

Feb 17, 2017 at 1:49 AM Post #1,839 of 1,937
   Quote:

I could barely discern a difference between either my SE215 or SE215SPE-A with my SE535LTD-J... and in fact, I too found the SE215SPE-A better in the highs than my SE535s.  The only area I found my 535s to be just slightly better was in the bass and in timbre but not enough to justify the huge difference in price and if I had a "do over" I would not have bought the SE535LTD-Js.

Feb 17, 2017 at 2:19 AM Post #1,840 of 1,937
Thank you

By the way, any hearing aid center can vacuum and clean your iems for free or at a very low cost.

Feb 17, 2017 at 2:25 AM Post #1,841 of 1,937
   Quote:

I could barely discern a difference between either my SE215 or SE215SPE-A with my SE535LTD-J... and in fact, I too found the SE215SPE-A better in the highs than my SE535s.  The only area I found my 535s to be just slightly better was in the bass and in timbre but not enough to justify the huge difference in price and if I had a "do over" I would not have bought the SE535LTD-Js.

Interesting how strongly perceptions can differ. I have always loved my se215 except for the highs, far too harsh for my taste. Even when I switched from my Sony A15 to the Astell & Kern AK70 I had to EQ the highs down quite a bit. (The AK70 is a bit smoother.)

Have either of you ever tried the Noble Trident? When I demoed it a couple of weeks ago I felt it was like my se215 on steroids. Very sparkling and with plenty of bass punch, but all very well controlled and balanced. I personally could not stand to listen to them for very long, if you haven't guessed yet I am hyper-sensitive to treble, but could readily sense that for what they were the Trident were pretty awesome. (Mind you, the demo was only a few minutes, as I had to get through 5 IEMs in half an hour. I ended up buying the Custom Art Ei.3.)

Feb 17, 2017 at 2:53 AM Post #1,843 of 1,937
I was never a fan of the 535 either.  The peak at around 8k always bothered me.  The 215 have a similar peak but at a more agreeable frequency for my ears.  I tried the LTD and those sounded even worse to me with some kind of harshness in the treble.  The 215 just sound a bit too loose to me, and still a bit stuffy, but they are great for the gym.  Aside from the 215 and 846 (and even those at times) I just can't get on-board with the Shure house sound.   All that said the 215 are ridiculously good for the price, and even better at the $35 used price I got them for.

Feb 17, 2017 at 4:04 AM Post #1,844 of 1,937
  All that said the 215 are ridiculously good for the price...

Price wise you may be very correct... the SE215 is probably the best buy (and close to the best sounding overall) out of the whole line-up:  SE112, SE215, SE215LTD/SPE, SE315, SE425, SE535, SE535LTD, or the SE846.

Yeah, even the SE846... I demoed the Shure SE846 (late 2014 model); they were immediately uncomfortable to wear due to their slightly larger casing design and shape (I have small ears). I could not hear/detect any discernible difference or improved sound from my Shure SE535LTD-Js which really surprised me as they are twice the price and especially after all the hi-fi hype about 'em. Being a flagship model one would expect the cable to be of a higher quality finish and/or made of an unique looking/feeling material but it is not... though, the iem itself is nicely made and very pretty to look at.  Very fatiguing iem as well.

Feb 17, 2017 at 4:43 AM Post #1,845 of 1,937
Price wise you may be very correct... the SE215 is probably the best buy (and close to the best sounding overall) out of the whole line-up:  SE112, SE215, SE215LTD/SPE, SE315, SE425, SE535, SE535LTD, or the SE846.

Yeah, even the SE846... I demoed the Shure SE846 (late 2014 model)
[COLOR=222222]; they were immediately uncomfortable to wear due to their slightly larger casing design and shape (I have small ears). I could not hear/detect any discernible difference or improved sound from my Shure SE535LTD-Js which really surprised me as they are twice the price and especially after all the hi-fi hype about 'em. Being a flagship model one would expect the cable to be of a higher quality finish and/or made of an unique looking/feeling material but it is not... though, the iem itself is nicely made and very pretty to look at.  Very fatiguing iem as well.[/COLOR]
Which filters and source were you using? I used the 846 daily for about 2 weeks total and never found them fatiguing. I actually did like them quite a bit for some genres, definitely more versatile than my 425, but nowhere near as versatile as the 215. When price is considered it is hard to justify the 846 though, since you are getting into the realm of some really fantastic ciems. The 215 have very little high quality competition at their price point. I've always loved the fit of the entire Shure line though, even the 846. I guess I'm lucky in that respect.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back