New Shure SE215 - First Impressions
Apr 23, 2015 at 10:02 PM Post #1,546 of 1,937
Apr 23, 2015 at 10:03 PM Post #1,547 of 1,937
Apr 23, 2015 at 10:17 PM Post #1,548 of 1,937
Yup, I want something that resembles my HE-400i.

To be sure and if you can cancel, I suggest you get the Special Edition then. It's closer to the HE400i. Use foam tips (with wax guard) and you'll lessen the treble, use silicone and it will have more. For me, the silicone has bit more treble and sibilance to my liking.

Apr 23, 2015 at 10:30 PM Post #1,549 of 1,937
To be sure and if you can cancel, I suggest you get the Special Edition then. It's closer to the HE400i. Use foam tips (with wax guard) and you'll lessen the treble, use silicone and it will have more. For me, the silicone has bit more treble and sibilance to my liking.
Okay, just did so, thank you.

Apr 23, 2015 at 10:36 PM Post #1,551 of 1,937
Apr 23, 2015 at 11:17 PM Post #1,552 of 1,937
Apr 26, 2015 at 6:07 PM Post #1,553 of 1,937
I seem to be one of the few that are experiencing really overpowering bass in R&B and hip-hop songs. It's to the point where the vocals are so overwhelmed, I have to EQ to bass reducer. 

Which one would be better to reduce the bass, foam or silicone tips? I'm using the foam tips for better isolation, but I'm willing to switch if it neutralizes the bass a bit.

Apr 26, 2015 at 7:29 PM Post #1,554 of 1,937
  I seem to be one of the few that are experiencing really overpowering bass in R&B and hip-hop songs. It's to the point where the vocals are so overwhelmed, I have to EQ to bass reducer. 

Which one would be better to reduce the bass, foam or silicone tips? I'm using the foam tips for better isolation, but I'm willing to switch if it neutralizes the bass a bit.

You're not alone. I don't think the bleed into the midrange is that bad especially how forward Shure tunes it's midranges so it still punches through the thick and slightly boomy bass with detail and authority. There is bleed into the mids - you're right just not as bad IMO. 

Apr 26, 2015 at 8:09 PM Post #1,555 of 1,937

Silicone would effectively reduce the bass, but it's because it adds treble. Treble is reduced on the foams. The bass would depend on how sealed the tips are in your ear canals, but the overall balance is tilted bit more to treble with the silicones.

You're not alone. I don't think the bleed into the midrange is that bad especially how forward Shure tunes it's midranges so it still punches through the thick and slightly boomy bass with detail and authority. There is bleed into the mids - you're right just not as bad IMO. 

I don't hear any bass bleeding into the mids in both Regulars and Specials. It's just that the Special's bass is lower into the sub-bass. What I hear that bleeds into the mids is the treble in the Specials when I use the silicone tips. It adds sibilance and grain. The foam tips cleans this up though.

The sound signature on the Regulars I find very different. It sounds like a headphone, while the Specials sounds like an IEM. The Regulars sounds best in silicone, it sounds too cleaned up with the foam tips.

Btw, my Regulars were manufactured in 2013. Not sure if this matters, but I heard a November 2014 Regulars and this sound more like the Specials. Did Shure incorporate the changes into the Regulars? Or is it just lack of burn in?

Apr 26, 2015 at 9:20 PM Post #1,556 of 1,937
When I had the regulars, I experienced a huge difference with burn in. Burning in made an impact on bass. I thought the regulars lacked bass before burn in. The bass became much more profound after burn in, but it still lacked the bass I wanted. I used the silicone tips. I have never tried the foam tips.

Apr 26, 2015 at 9:27 PM Post #1,557 of 1,937
How about the treble? Did it smoothen out (reduced the grainy) after burn in?

Apr 26, 2015 at 9:34 PM Post #1,558 of 1,937
I can't remember the treble changing on the regulars. I still have not received my special editions yet so I can't give any impressions there... My package was delayed. USPS 2 day priority is going to take 6 days now... They have terrible service lol.

Apr 26, 2015 at 9:34 PM Post #1,559 of 1,937
Silicone would effectively reduce the bass, but it's because it adds treble. Treble is reduced on the foams. The bass would depend on how sealed the tips are in your ear canals, but the overall balance is tilted bit more to treble with the silicones.
I don't hear any bass bleeding into the mids in both Regulars and Specials. It's just that the Special's bass is lower into the sub-bass. What I hear that bleeds into the mids is the treble in the Specials when I use the silicone tips. It adds sibilance and grain. The foam tips cleans this up though.

The sound signature on the Regulars I find very different. It sounds like a headphone, while the Specials sounds like an IEM. The Regulars sounds best in silicone, it sounds too cleaned up with the foam tips.

Btw, my Regulars were manufactured in 2013. Not sure if this matters, but I heard a November 2014 Regulars and this sound more like the Specials. Did Shure incorporate the changes into the Regulars? Or is it just lack of burn in?

I have Sensaphonic custom shells on my SE215s when I use them. It improves the bass response and tactility over any universal tips by quite a margin. Even so, bass is good nothing spectacular, but a good deal for $100 I must say. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back