New Shure SE215 - First Impressions
Dec 15, 2015 at 1:43 AM Post #1,696 of 1,937
Does really 2 times more expensive is better by 2 times? No doubt se846 is better than se215 but it is the overall synergy and value for money. With better cable, any iem will sound better than stock cable. I am just sharing how good and value for money is se215 and with better cable, you will find the potential of se215. Se846 is more than 10 times expensive than se215 but is it 10 times better? With stock cable, Dita Truth and AKi8e is better than se215 but with better cable on se215 will not lose to those iem. Of course, you can say that with better cable on those iem, they will sound better than se215 but by how many times better for the money spend?
smily_headphones1.gif

I've owned all the SE up to the SE535s. The only one I've kept are the SE215s and got them custom shelled. The shell cost 2x the price of the IEMs. I kept them not because they sound the best (the 535 and 425s are much better sounding units) but because I use them on stage and can throw them around and relatively cheap if they break. They are built like tanks.

Also, there is no way a cable can make the SE215 sound even close to any of the TOTL IEMs. I am part of the minority who believes that cables do make a difference but minor improvements especially in headphones and even less in IEMs. The case with loudspeakers is different as it can definitely alter the tonal balance a lot more.

If you're happy with the 215s then you've just effectively saved yourself a couple thousand bucks from upgrading lol but you are in the small small minority.

Dec 15, 2015 at 2:02 AM Post #1,697 of 1,937
Thanks! Cuiter23. I am happy with se215 at the moment. Yes, i am in the small small minority. I had se846 before and i kept changing the filter as some songs are too sibilance when using white filter while blue filter, the treble part is veil so i modded the blue filter. Whenever i change devices as the whole synergy changes, i also change the filter too. It seems it is not perfectly tune as i need to keep changing the filter once a while. But for se215, any songs also sounds beautiful so i would says that se215 is perfectly tune.

Dec 15, 2015 at 3:08 AM Post #1,698 of 1,937
Yup, i'm with cuiter23 on the matter. Cables can definitely change the sound of an iem, but it's a really soubtle change. Tried a silver coated cable (a moon audio cable, if i recall correctly) a friend of mine had laying around (that person has a pair of se425 and never told me >.>), and, yes, there was a change but a really soubtle one. Bass was a bit tighter, and the upper end a bit more sparkly, but the se215 didn't gain extension at either end of the spectrum. And i had to focus to really appreciate all the changes.
IMHO, not worth to spend 2/300$ on a cable for an iem, especially a 100$ one. Much better to spend those money on a better iem.

Oh, and don't take me as a "it costs more so it's better" guy, i'm using a pair of VE monk, and i'm absolutely loving it, much more than pretty much every iem i ever owned, even the se215. And those darn things are just 8$ shipping included!

Dec 15, 2015 at 4:24 AM Post #1,699 of 1,937
I agree with Coldheart29 on not worth spending more money on cable more than iem. It is really a crazy idea to spend more on cable than iem but just happen that i have not sell away my cable so i have the chance to try.

I might try the VE monk if i come across. Thanks for sharing! Coldheart29.

Dec 15, 2015 at 7:43 AM Post #1,700 of 1,937
I agree with Coldheart29 on not worth spending more money on cable more than iem. It is really a crazy idea to spend more on cable than iem but just happen that i have not sell away my cable so i have the chance to try.

I might try the VE monk if i come across. Thanks for sharing! Coldheart29.

Yeah, if you have a cable laying around, why not using it?

And do try the monk, it's dirty cheap, and is mindblowing. Check the thread here on head-fi, lot of info and impressions on it!

Dec 17, 2015 at 11:46 AM Post #1,701 of 1,937
Hi.. im not sure if i should ask this question here, but i'd be really thankful if someone replies :) :
I currently own a pair of se215 spe but the housing of the earpiece is a bit too big for me(it gets uncomfortable after a while as my ears start aching) may i know if there are other recommendations?

Dec 17, 2015 at 4:18 PM Post #1,702 of 1,937
Hi.. im not sure if i should ask this question here, but i'd be really thankful if someone replies
smily_headphones1.gif
:
I currently own a pair of se215 spe but the housing of the earpiece is a bit too big for me(it gets uncomfortable after a while as my ears start aching) may i know if there are other recommendations?

Possibly the Puro Sound Labs IEM500.  And probably the Trinity Delta.  Go read my reviews of both, if you feel so inclined!

Dec 19, 2015 at 10:22 PM Post #1,704 of 1,937
What are the difference between the 215 315 and 425 and if its worth extra $100 each series?

Dec 20, 2015 at 6:26 AM Post #1,705 of 1,937
  What are the difference between the 215 315 and 425 and if its worth extra $100 each series?

215 is a dynamic driver so more bass, 315 is a single BA so better clarity and the 425 is dual driver and a more "monitorish" sound to it.

Dec 20, 2015 at 2:01 PM Post #1,706 of 1,937

Only the se215 is worth it. the other SE models are way overpriced imo for how they sound with the exception of the se846 perhaps.

Dec 23, 2015 at 11:17 PM Post #1,707 of 1,937
Only the se215 is worth it. the other SE models are way overpriced imo for how they sound with the exception of the se846 perhaps.

Even the SE215 isn't really worth its price when you consider the competition in its price-range. . .stuff like the Trinity Delta, HiFiMan IEM's, as well as little-known gems like the Puro IEM-500.  All of those are easiliy gotten for 100 dollars or less and do most things significantly better than the SE215.

Dec 24, 2015 at 12:48 AM Post #1,708 of 1,937
  Even the SE215 isn't really worth its price when you consider the competition in its price-range. . .stuff like the Trinity Delta, HiFiMan IEM's, as well as little-known gems like the Puro IEM-500.  All of those are easiliy gotten for 100 dollars or less and do most things significantly better than the SE215.

Only reason I would give the SE215's a pass is because of their build quality. In terms of sound, they are competitive in the $50 price range, nothing more nothing less.

Dec 24, 2015 at 3:49 AM Post #1,709 of 1,937
We're glad you enjoy them!  Obviously we enjoy them too, that's why we're in this thread :wink:

One thing that really impresses me about them is the detail you mentioned. . .it's pretty impressive to get that level of detail from just a single teeny-tiny little dynamic microdriver.  The engineers at Shure are awesome at what they do.

The same poster "goodyfresh" who now diminishes the value and insults the very good SE215, wrote the above text here in head-fi on 08-28. When was he writing correctly? In August or now? Unfortunately some people participate in forums not in order to be helpful and informative but for other reasons, it seems...

Dec 24, 2015 at 3:52 AM Post #1,710 of 1,937
Only reason I would give the SE215's a pass is because of their build quality. In terms of sound, they are competitive in the $50 price range, nothing more nothing less.

I disagree. Not only the build quality, but also the fit, comfort and isolation are at the top of what $100 would get you.

I agree that there are beter options out there for sheer audio quality, but very few have that same mid-forward signature. Most are either relatively neutral or v-shaped.

I'm in the process of trying to find an improvement over my 3 year old SE215, but it's pretty difficult to find something that will improve upon that sound signature for the same cost or less (at least in the Netherlands).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back