New Shure SE215 - First Impressions
Sep 8, 2015 at 1:00 PM Post #1,666 of 1,937
  I actually happen to like the bass boost of the se215 even for metal (let's say i'm borderline basshead 
biggrin.gif
), but yeah, a less pronounced bass response might do wonders as well.

Anyway, as far as IEM upgrade goes, i think i'll be sticking with the se215 for quite some time, and then just jump into the custom bandwagon. Looks like many new companies with really fairly priced entry level customs are joining the buisness, like custom art with their music one and two and other companies, so, might as well give the custom path a try, in the future.

Must say, my forbiddem dream is to get either a earsonic velvet or shure se846, but both being so expensive, and me being a student without a job, it'll be really long before i'll be able to afford one of those :frowning2:.

My dream when it comes to IEM's is the SE535, I doubt I would ever need anything better than that :p

Sep 8, 2015 at 11:09 PM Post #1,668 of 1,937
  What about hifiman re-400?

Mehhhh.  Supposedly they sound great, but by all accounts they are plagued with some disturbingly common build/reliability issues in the long-term.  I wouldn't get them for that reason.

Sep 9, 2015 at 5:42 AM Post #1,670 of 1,937
Also, keep in mind that the hifimian has a much flatter sound, both compared with the se215 and eph-100. The re-400 is more of a clarity tuned IEM, while the se215 and eph-100 have a much warmer sound, with a more emphasized low end.
All three IEMs share a smoothed top end, thought.

Sep 9, 2015 at 7:02 AM Post #1,671 of 1,937
  Also, keep in mind that the hifimian has a much flatter sound, both compared with the se215 and eph-100. The re-400 is more of a clarity tuned IEM, while the se215 and eph-100 have a much warmer sound, with a more emphasized low end.
All three IEMs share a smoothed top end, thought.

I can only say just the same warmer sound discourages. but I have not heard flatter sound

Sep 12, 2015 at 3:09 AM Post #1,672 of 1,937
  What about hifiman re-400?

In terms of detail, the RE-400 is more apparent with it.

The SE215 is an easy-to-listen-to all-rounder IEM. Great for people who are just getting into the hobby have not quite acquired their own taste yet. The 215 is like a jack of all trades, but it doesn't do anything well in particular. The mids are great for the price though.

I personally like the 215 better although reviews tend to favor the RE-400 by quite a wide margin.

Oct 5, 2015 at 8:50 PM Post #1,674 of 1,937
I use a pair of these IEMs on stage a few times a week.  I find them to be terrible at producing clear and audible bass on stage, and easily distorted by a full sound when all the singers are singing and everyone is playing.  I brought them home to listen to a bit as I'm going in for some custom IEMs later this week and I want a good baseline of what I'm missing, and was surprised to learn that they sound pretty good for listening when plugged into my iphone.  I'll plug them into my Apogee DAC later and see how that sounds.  This experience makes me wonder why it is that they are so meager for stage duty (in my experience), while good for casual listening?  How should I recreate my needs on stage when trying other IEMs for comparison shopping?  I'm thinking it's maybe a gain issue, but my phone doesn't drive them super loud and I'm not getting clipping through there.  Then again, I keep them relatively low on stage, as well...

Oct 5, 2015 at 11:04 PM Post #1,675 of 1,937
  I use a pair of these IEMs on stage a few times a week.  I find them to be terrible at producing clear and audible bass on stage, and easily distorted by a full sound when all the singers are singing and everyone is playing.  I brought them home to listen to a bit as I'm going in for some custom IEMs later this week and I want a good baseline of what I'm missing, and was surprised to learn that they sound pretty good for listening when plugged into my iphone.  I'll plug them into my Apogee DAC later and see how that sounds.  This experience makes me wonder why it is that they are so meager for stage duty (in my experience), while good for casual listening?  How should I recreate my needs on stage when trying other IEMs for comparison shopping?  I'm thinking it's maybe a gain issue, but my phone doesn't drive them super loud and I'm not getting clipping through there.  Then again, I keep them relatively low on stage, as well...

What are you using to drive them when on stage?  They are pretty sensitive as well as fairly low-impedance.

Oct 6, 2015 at 12:04 AM Post #1,676 of 1,937
I think it's the P3RA-G20 wireless pack.  I just use whatever the sound company provides, but it's been that one consistently for a while.

What, precisely would "sensitive" mean, and how would the low impedance impact their performance with different audio sources beyond the obvious volume levels?

Oct 11, 2015 at 2:35 PM Post #1,677 of 1,937
  I think it's the P3RA-G20 wireless pack.  I just use whatever the sound company provides, but it's been that one consistently for a while.

What, precisely would "sensitive" mean, and how would the low impedance impact their performance with different audio sources beyond the obvious volume levels?

Well you see sensitivity means how many decibels of sound-pressure-level they achieve with a given amount of power input to them.  It's usually given in DBS-per-milliwatt at a frequency of 1Khz or something along those lines.

Well, in terms of impedance, if the source has more than 1/8th to 1/4 an output-impedance number (or something thereabouts) compared to the impedance of the earphones or headphones, then it will drive them incorrectly and cause errors in the frequency-response due to the mismatched impedance and phase, unless the source is really well/remarkably engineered.  Also, a source with too high an output impedance will cause annoying background-hiss with sensitive IEM's.  It can sometimes be hard to find out the output impedance of a source, though.

The fact is all of that may not be cwhat's causing your issues though.  It could just be that you're using wireless.  Lol.  Wireless sound quality often tends to be crap due to noise and interference.

Oct 11, 2015 at 10:51 PM Post #1,678 of 1,937

Well you see sensitivity means how many decibels of sound-pressure-level they achieve with a given amount of power input to them.  It's usually given in DBS-per-milliwatt at a frequency of 1Khz or something along those lines.

Well, in terms of impedance, if the source has more than 1/8th to 1/4 an output-impedance number (or something thereabouts) compared to the impedance of the earphones or headphones, then it will drive them incorrectly and cause errors in the frequency-response due to the mismatched impedance and phase, unless the source is really well/remarkably engineered.  Also, a source with too high an output impedance will cause annoying background-hiss with sensitive IEM's.  It can sometimes be hard to find out the output impedance of a source, though.

The fact is all of that may not be cwhat's causing your issues though.  It could just be that you're using wireless.  Lol.  Wireless sound quality often tends to be crap due to noise and interference.

Ok... I'd assume the pack would be compatible with the IEMs since they're packaged together.  What I've found is the impedance of the 215s is rated at 20 ohms and the pack has a "minimum load impedance" of 16 ohms, but I'll have to find a resource on electrical impedance to read up before I understand what exactly that means.  I get the general concept, but the specifics are very fuzzy.  Meanwhile, I have at least removed the quality of the IEMs from the sound equation by ordering a set of higher end ones, so I guess I'll learn if it's just the wireless signal that is jacking up my sound, assuming the impedances of the new headphones and the belt pack are compatible.

EDIT: So I've done some reading, and I still don't know exactly how the impedance of the source and the cans interact exactly.  The CIEMs I ordered on Friday have an impedance of 17 ohms, vs the SE215's 20 ohms... if the source has a minimum load impedance (dunno what that means!  LOL) of 16 ohms and the impedance IS the issue, would the new IEMs fare better or worse?  

Nov 23, 2015 at 7:36 PM Post #1,679 of 1,937
I just bought a se215 yesterday. Before, I had se846 but sold it away as I find it did not match well with my portable amp with dac. It is fatigue to hear for se846 with treble a bit high for me using the blue filter. When use with black filter, it sound too dark.

Se215 did not cross my mind when looking for another iem but i had tried dita Truth edition and Aki8e which both are single dynamic but price cross $1k. I feel it is not worth that money even thought the sound is very good from both the iem so i do a research on single dynamic and come across se215. So i compare se215 with W10 before buying. I end up chossing se215 which sound better than w10 overall. It is really a amazing iem with good price for it. Without comparing, se215 sounds good enough. Glad to buy the se215.

Nov 23, 2015 at 8:11 PM Post #1,680 of 1,937
I just bought a se215 yesterday. Before, I had se846 but sold it away as I find it did not match well with my portable amp with dac. It is fatigue to hear for se846 with treble a bit high for me using the blue filter. When use with black filter, it sound too dark.

Se215 did not cross my mind when looking for another iem but i had tried dita Truth edition and Aki8e which both are single dynamic but price cross $1k. I feel it is not worth that money even thought the sound is very good from both the iem so i do a research on single dynamic and come across se215. So i compare se215 with W10 before buying. I end up chossing se215 which sound better than w10 overall. It is really a amazing iem with good price for it. Without comparing, se215 sounds good enough. Glad to buy the se215.

Wow dude, you had the money fro a SE846, sold it, and then downgraded all the way to a se215???  That's like, totally crazy.

Some really good IEM's in the price-range of the SE215, which are really SUPERIOR in every way to the 215 (but with two fo the available three tuning filters, have the very smoothed-out non-fatiguing treble and upper-mids you seem to say you like) are the Trinity Delta.  They only lose out to the 215 in terms of isolation.

I also really like the Puro Sound Labs IEM500, but the treble tends to sound a tad bright so I'm not sure you'd enjoy them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back