New Schiit! Ragnarok and Yggdrasil
May 5, 2015 at 11:34 AM Post #6,766 of 9,484
Here something you should all know

If you are using audirvana with Yggy, don't use ''volume fixed by the dac'', it results in bad distortion because the volume in the software is too loud for some reason. Put it at -14-16db and everything is solved and you have a normal volume output with your computer. Still very happy with Yggy 
smily_headphones1.gif

May 5, 2015 at 11:50 AM Post #6,767 of 9,484

If you are using audirvana with Yggy, don't use ''volume fixed by the dac'', it results in bad distortion because the volume in the software is too loud for some reason. Put it at -14-16db and everything is solved and you have a normal volume output with your computer. Still very happy with Yggy 
smily_headphones1.gif

a great tip thanks!   wondering about this lately as I've detected some clipping with Audirvana and a new Gungnir.
can't wait to go home tonight and try this now...
cheers!

May 5, 2015 at 1:40 PM Post #6,768 of 9,484

I have a Wyrd and I am not sure why I have not tried it with the Yggdrasil yet.  The Wyrd is tethered to my Master 7 right now so maybe its laziness.  I'll make sure to try it out starting tonight.

I tried my Wyrd before my Yggy for around 15 minutes. It added a bit more body but closed down the the top end a bit, collapsing the beautifully big soundstage. It seemed to add "a little character" to all the music, whereas the Yggy alone is more of a chameleon, changing SQ as to what recording it is fed.

I thought it may be caused by the Wyrd being used cold and left the unit powered up but disconnected to the Yggy to warm it up. Even that caused a slight bit of character in the Yggy SQ that was eliminated when I powered down the Wyrd. Similarly small in magnitude to turning my Mac mini and iPhone WiFi off when I want seriously listen to music.

I prefered the Yggy sans Wyrd with USB in my system. 

YMMV

May 5, 2015 at 1:45 PM Post #6,769 of 9,484

smily_headphones1.gif

I will have to check this when I get home. I am using Audrivana 2.STH with no issues. I used the digital atteuator previously when using my Gungnir and LCD-3Fs, but found it lacking when I got my SR-009s. Also would hate to digitally attenuate and lose the Bit Perfect attribute of the Yggy.

May 5, 2015 at 1:45 PM Post #6,770 of 9,484

smily_headphones1.gif

I have seen no such problem with my Yggy and Audirvana.

Understand what you're saying here. The Yggy has no volume control of its own. This means your 'tip' will be performing software dithering on the signal – the result will not be bit-perfect output.

So... call me very skeptical on this one. Is anyone out there able to reproduce this distortion?

May 5, 2015 at 2:00 PM Post #6,771 of 9,484
I agree with dglow.

@freddy1201 are you using an AU (such as an EQ) with Audirvana?  That can easily push the signal into clipping; especially if you add bass.

The solution is to reduce the output post filter by a few dB.  You can do this with another AU or some EQs such as Fabfilter have configurable post filter pan/gain.

May 5, 2015 at 2:44 PM Post #6,772 of 9,484
Serious question for Yggy owners: anyone considering getting a little UPS just to carry the Yggy through a power interruption? A little APC unit or something like that? I'm considering getting one for my setup that isn't a Yggy, just because they're cheap...

I would be more concerned about power surges destroying audio equipment. However your Power company should pay for any damages caused by surges.

There is a serious following in using at least an isolation transformer $$$$ (most studios) or active or passive power conditioning too.....regardless of what kind of gear you own.  

May 5, 2015 at 2:57 PM Post #6,773 of 9,484

I would be more concerned about power surges destroying audio equipment. However your Power company should pay for any damages caused by surges.

There is a serious following in using at least an isolation transformer $$$$ (most studios) or active or passive power conditioning too.....regardless of what kind of gear you own.  

It's probably a good idea to get some kind of surge suppression, even if you have whole-house protection since let through voltages can still be pretty high. While living in an apartment, I had a Furman PL-8 Series II that protected all my A/V electronics. One afternoon I came home and the 'Extreme Overvoltage' LED was lit. I was happy to find that everything turned back on and operated perfectly after flipping the main power rocker. It was the best $130 I ever spent on audio-related kit.

EDIT: I bet the power company won't pay for surge-related damage caused by an 'act of God'.

May 5, 2015 at 3:23 PM Post #6,774 of 9,484
My replacement Yggdrasil has arrived and it works :). Now to burn it in.

May 5, 2015 at 4:26 PM Post #6,775 of 9,484

It's probably a good idea to get some kind of surge suppression, even if you have whole-house protection since let through voltages can still be pretty high. While living in an apartment, I had a Furman PL-8 Series II that protected all my A/V electronics. One afternoon I came home and the 'Extreme Overvoltage' LED was lit. I was happy to find that everything turned back on and operated perfectly after flipping the main power rocker. It was the best $130 I ever spent on audio-related kit.

EDIT: I bet the power company won't pay for surge-related damage caused by an 'act of God'.

My power company is known to replace microwaves. Apparently they are extremely sensitive to major power surges. 

I use a Yalu Bulala blue circle  power surge protector (comprised of MOV and diode) so if its a micro surge the MOV absorbs it and for major they will short out tripping the breaker. I use them with my Blue circle power conditioning for both 2 channel and headphone rig. 

Sounds like my local shop will not carry yggy for a good many months. I'll be auditioning the Auralic Vega as a benchmark for a solid state dac in the meantime. I'll wait to do an A/B comparision for giggles. 

So far it seems most here are using the Yggy with a solid state amp. I wonder where all the tube people are in the hype of Yggy??? I'm truly curious to see how many people understand musical bliss from colourized overtones/distortion of tubes mixed with a killer solid state dac?

I'm really looking forward to audition the Yggy one day....

May 5, 2015 at 5:01 PM Post #6,779 of 9,484
   I'm truly curious to see how many people understand musical bliss from colourized overtones/distortion of tubes mixed with a killer solid state dac?

I'm really looking forward to audition the Yggy one day....

Query - are good se tube amps really colored if their distortions tend to mimic the simple harmonics of live instruments, and, as to headphone amps, are probably minimal overall compared to room effects?  I think Pass offers a very nice explanation (and corresponding measurements) regarding why some, but certainly not all, listeners may find these amps sound more natural than feedback designs that have lower overall THD but produce certain complex non-linear distortions products and disproportionate higher order distortions.  https://passlabs.com/articles/audio-distortion-and-feedback  I think Pass is dead on in suggesting that different people have different sensitivities to different sorts of distortions.  

Personally, I feel you here and am loving my yggy + mainline combo, but it is perfectly understandable, and indeed to be expected, that some will share this perception and others will find that different amps and/or dacs better replicate the sound of live music to their ears.   

May 5, 2015 at 5:07 PM Post #6,780 of 9,484
My replacement Yggdrasil has arrived and it works :). Now to burn it in.

Did they tell you what the issue was?

No, they sent me a replacement and I do not know the source of the problem. But at least the yggy outputs the signal to my rag. I just thought the Yggdrasil would get warm. My yggy is cold to the touch. So in about 200 hours I will start to write up impressions.
P.s. My Yggdrasil is now luke warm and has been on for only 8 hours.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back