New Schiit! Ragnarok and Yggdrasil
May 4, 2015 at 7:45 PM Post #6,736 of 9,484
  It's just that sometimes I find myself listening to something, after a while I start to think 'A' sounds better and better than 'B', then I do a switch back to 'B' to confirm how much more I like 'A', only to find out that 'B' is a lot closer than I thought and my mind was playing games with me.  I don't think anyone is immune to this, and over a week, with no reference to a cold Yggy I'm just saying it can be hard to know how much of what you're hearing is in your imagination.

Talk of backup generators to have that extra couple of percent seems pretty crazy to me when something like a simple headphone upgrade could give an extra 50% to some people's systems...

Sometimes the changes that are heard are so compelling that there is no reason to go back to compare them.

This compelling nature can be so obvious that there is no need to 'prove' it to ones self.

But unless you have experienced such a change, words won't and can't convince those who haven't experienced this degree of audible change.

And when this degree of a compelling presentation is experienced it is rather hard to give it up, especially just for the sake of proving to ones self that your experiences are correct in the first place.

But if the need for 'proof' is strong enough, then by all means, perform the experiment for yourself.

IOW when the changes in the acoustic presentation are of a sufficient magnitude, there really is no desire nor need to prove it, it is obvious and compelling which is more than sufficient.

JJ

May 4, 2015 at 8:12 PM Post #6,738 of 9,484

And when this degree of a compelling presentation is experienced it is rather hard to give it up, especially just for the sake of proving to ones self that your experiences are correct in the first place.

You're not even a little bit curious?

Ignorance is bliss maybe?

I don't think there is any harm in confirmation regardless of how strongly you feel like you hear something.  Sound memory is a funny thing and to claim that you have a perfect memory for many hours of listening over the period of a week is a bit of an unbelievable claim.

I mean, I'm not calling you a liar, but I'm just saying even if you 100% believe what you're saying, there's a chance that you're mistaken.  And not specifically you - anyone who has said the same thing.  Surely at least a few people are willing to put their ears to the test.

---

Look forward to your findings Chris F

May 4, 2015 at 8:39 PM Post #6,739 of 9,484
Ok… 96 hrs on burn in… (burn in = actually playing dynamic music as a load to the Yggy, plugged into my line stage) (not necessary to turn on the line stage or amps, although I've listened daily)

To refresh recollections… I'm comparing Yggy to my MSB Analog Dac w/ Desktop PS (not the Power Base) which I listened to daily for close to two years… as well as several other audio buddies-

Since I'm burning in, these are NOT direct a/b comparisons...

This is brief + I'm a lousy 'reviewer', haha… especially since Yggy is only 1/2 way broken in-  She's being fed a cap stretching diet (24/7) of dynamic orchestral or heavy metal via Redbook up to HiRez SACD rips-  Simply having her powered up, is not the same-

What it is doing now :  

Tone, tone, tone !  She sounds like music… on occasion actually drawing you in, like a Siren song… The separation of instruments is improving… (what I mean is not some audiophile unnatural floating in space mumbo jumbo, just that instruments/players can 'pop out' at you better than previous)…. The soundstage is widening… (more or less to speaker width)… the stage is getting deeper… bass is getting somewhat more solidified… complicated stuff doesn't 'mush together' (pro audiophile term, haha)

What it's not doing :

The true analog (top notch turntable i.e. 30K+) ebb & flow… where sometimes it seems like things may even be going in slow motion, the flow is so 'right'… PRaT isn't really there yet…  the treble is very slightly glassy, not to be confused w/ edgy… I think it's just not fully extended yet.. the mid to upper mid-bass is slightly disconnected & needs to be slightly meatier… the bass is not quite as solid & oomphy as it could be… not that BS rock solid, unnatural crap… just proper, musical, full bass isn't quite there.. decay is lacking… dynamic swings aren't quite realized..

One example… Dead Can Dance 'Into the Labyrinth' SACD rip (yes I can..) via PCM of course (JRiver) is really something, however… the drum thwacks are close to there… the feeling everything is swirling & swimming around you isn't quite realized… not as 'scary' in certain sections as possible..

So where does that leave me ?  

I've been reading about Yggy for a while… it's hyped to DEATH !  or is it ?  The three gurus who've reviewed/listened/given learned opinions, made the Yggy sound like a GIANT KILLER !  I bought into the hype too !  This is the first time in 25 years, I've paid full retail for anything over 500 bucks, haha !

So being so hyped & directly being compared to a DAC I dig, the MSB Analog… she's got big boots to fill !

Putting it in perspective :  First.. Yggy is a direct sale item… it should therefore be totaly fair to compare her to DACs twice the price or so… that means 4500ish, not any retail DACs at 2500 range..  So that means, apples to apples, Yggy is a little less than 1/2 the price of the Analog under these circumstances...

so… only about 1/2 broken in, & considering that both, she's come a descent distance since new & assuming she'll continue on the same trajectory… imho… she's at about 85% presently, of the Analog's (w/o Power Base option) capabilities- 

Now as stated, these comparisons are from memory…  I'll be comparing somewhat more unfairly, directly, this upcoming 'Lost Weekend' to the Analog DAC with a Power Base…. I also have a borrowed Theta Gen VA, but need to figure out what stinking cable to use, to be fair...

I have high hopes, Yggy can be a giant killer indeed...

David

May 4, 2015 at 9:14 PM Post #6,740 of 9,484
I received my Yggy yesterday and here are my initial thought and findings for the first 6 hours of listening and how it compares with the M51. (to my ears at less)

Headphone used was LCD3F fully balanced from Dac to Phone. 

1. My Yggy is the 230v version and based on my watt meter it draws around 25 watt when turned on compared to the NAD M51  at 20 watt. 
2. it runs relatively warm for a DAC, just a bit cooler than the Rag when fully warmed up.
3. Had to lower the volume gain on the Rag compared to Nad 51 at default fix volume set at 20.
3. Out of the box it sounded pretty crap, highs were very harsh, bass muddy/ no impact and separation was all over the place. I was switching between my M51 and it was obvious (to no surprise) the M51 sound miles better before fully warmed up and burned in.
4. Once the Yggy was warmish after 2 hours it sounded a bit better but was still not as refined as the M51 sounded (as less to my ears)
5. BUT......after around 4 hours things started to swing the other way and the Yggy started to come to life. It sounded a lot more opened, everything was more focused, less harsh and bass was tightening up. At that stage I would say sonically it as neck to neck against the M51.
6. At around the 6th hours mark, it was obvious the Yggy was better in every way than the M51. switching back and forth between the Yggy and the M51, at this point the Yggy made the M51 sounded muted and less transparent and the bass a bit lacking. Sound stage sounded wider than M51

So my conclusion from the first night with Yggy is:

- You will be very disappointed on how it sound right out of the box. 
- If you want something that sound great out of the box and without warming up than this is not for you.
- I am happy with how it sound after its been on for around 6 hours. 
- can't wait to go home and have a listen tonight.

Will post my assessment again tomorrow.

cheers 

May 4, 2015 at 9:19 PM Post #6,741 of 9,484
Serious question for Yggy owners: anyone considering getting a little UPS just to carry the Yggy through a power interruption? A little APC unit or something like that? I'm considering getting one for my setup that isn't a Yggy, just because they're cheap...

May 4, 2015 at 9:31 PM Post #6,742 of 9,484

You're not even a little bit curious?

Ignorance is bliss maybe?

I don't think there is any harm in confirmation regardless of how strongly you feel like you hear something.  Sound memory is a funny thing and to claim that you have a perfect memory for many hours of listening over the period of a week is a bit of an unbelievable claim.

I mean, I'm not calling you a liar, but I'm just saying even if you 100% believe what you're saying, there's a chance that you're mistaken.  And not specifically you - anyone who has said the same thing.  Surely at least a few people are willing to put their ears to the test.

---

Look forward to your findings Chris F

I understand your point and have been down this road so many times that I have come to know the landscape rather well.

And this portion of what I previously wrote is part of my answer.
"But unless you have experienced such a change, words won't and can't convince those who haven't experienced this degree of audible change.

And when this degree of a compelling presentation is experienced it is rather hard to give it up, especially just for the sake of proving to ones self that your experiences are correct in the first place."

So if you have the curiosity and 'need' to know by all means follow thru.  It is after all the 'standard' test for such things.
Especially when the differences range from subtle to impressive.  

But what I am pointing at is one step beyond this range, and those who experience this type of change, know that even if this were an artifact of any sort (mental, psycho-acoustic, delusional, etc.) it doesn't matter. It's not about 'right' or 'wrong', even if it were an accident, or a mistake, they will take it, gladly.

The key here is the emotional response which is experienced and not so much the intellectual need to know.

JJ

May 4, 2015 at 9:49 PM Post #6,744 of 9,484

Bunch of noise.

• 165 hours. I'd like to hear from folks who've had Yggy on up to this point.
  • Decent CD transport. I'd like to hear if any other people have tried spinners vs. USB.
  • For those wanting i2s, I'm curious what converter with i2s out you guys are considering.
  • On phase inversion switch, I'd like to hear from folks using speakers - and what recordings, what source?

May 4, 2015 at 10:26 PM Post #6,747 of 9,484
Serious question for Yggy owners: anyone considering getting a little UPS just to carry the Yggy through a power interruption? A little APC unit or something like that? I'm considering getting one for my setup that isn't a Yggy, just because they're cheap...

I use a big one and plug all of my audio equipment to it.

May 4, 2015 at 10:31 PM Post #6,748 of 9,484
three of us were using the same pure sine wave UPS from Cyberpower at the SF Bay May 2 meet.

May 4, 2015 at 10:44 PM Post #6,750 of 9,484

Yep, I use one to protect all my gear and because where I live the power fluctuates and blinks at the worst times. It was a real eye opener when the power flickered and my system "Popped"
eek.gif
 at me. Scared the Schiit out of me, thought I was about to loose a few thousand dollars worth of gear.
frown.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back