New Schiit! Ragnarok and Yggdrasil
Mar 26, 2024 at 8:14 PM Post #9,481 of 9,484
To Whom it May Concern:

Though I TOO am more than somewhat skeptical regarding electronic/audio component "break-in", (driver/driver-surrounds MECHANICAL break-in notwithstanding...(and yes, I DO understand that expectation bias sometimes DOES rear its "subjective" head... :wink: ...))

Regarding the 1st Generation Yggdrassil/("Yggy") that I purchased within the first 6-8(??) months of its manufacture...

I elected to try out the new, "flagship" D/A converter which had already garnered remarkable praise from professional reviewers...so I looked forward to hearing just what a high quality/"stand-alone" component could do...Well, when I first inserted it in my dedicated stereo audio chain I must admit that I was rather disappointed...it sounded somewhat harsh and soundstage-wise dimensionally "flat", and I genuinely thought that I would send it back...rather than eating the rather significant cost of the beast...and for the next 2-3 days, (leaving my stereo system on/"playing" continuously), I continued to feel dissiapointed in not only the "Yggy", but myself for my having been influenced by the professional "advertisments"... ... ...quietly loathing the necessity of repackaging it and sending it back to "Schiit Audio"...

HOWEVER...upon returning home from work on the fourth late afternoon, firmly expecting to continue to be disappointed in the "Yggy" and its audio presentation, I was amazed to hear what I thought was a nearly entirely different audio presentation, though remaining detailed, the music was "smooth" and natural all the way up, however, the MOST amazing transformation was the breadth and in particular the DEPTH of the soundstage that I heard...!...I was genuinely taken aback regarding the "instantaneous" change that occurred in the sonic presentation of my stereo system...

SO, despite MY being a skeptic, I HAVE experienced a very significant electrical audio component "break-in" effect...I do NOT have an explanation as to WHY the "Yggy" changed so dramatically, (it was totally unanticipated that after 3+ days of disappointment, with an expecation of the same in the forseeable future for that component...

Sincerely,
T.A.K.
Those early Yggy's (I had one, too) took a while to stabilize sonically. But the wait was so worth it!

Mar 26, 2024 at 8:41 PM Post #9,482 of 9,484
Those early Yggy's (I had one, too) took a while to stabilize sonically. But the wait was so worth it!
who knew DACs resembled their owners lolol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back