New Schiit! Ragnarok and Yggdrasil
May 4, 2015 at 3:41 PM Post #6,706 of 9,484
AttentionOnly impressions that can be potentially construed as negative are allowed about the Yggy. Positive impressions are automatically invalid so please do not waste your energy typing them.

I like my Yggdrasil very much...but I can't use it everyday all day is the only major issue I have, work gets in the way.
There, I think that can potentially be construed as a negative statement, right? :wink:

May 4, 2015 at 4:00 PM Post #6,707 of 9,484
The difference is not discernible to some people, while identifiable with a fair amount of accuracy to others... You can check this thread:
http://www.hydrogenaud.io/forums/index.php?showtopic=28925&hl=

it might be easier just to do this blind test http://www.audiocheck.net/blindtests_abspolarity.php

Thank you both for the info!  I think I'm starting to wrap my head around this now, and it makes sense that I might have picked up on subtle changes when listening to bluegrass with percussive strumming/plucking a couple of days ago but not with the choral, chamber and even 50's vocal jazz I was listening to yesterday (given that I don't tend to pay a whole lot of attention to the drums in the latter).  Looking forward to trying the audiocheck link and some more percussive tracks this evening.  

[edit for typo]

May 4, 2015 at 4:04 PM Post #6,708 of 9,484
AttentionOnly impressions that can be potentially construed as negative are allowed about the Yggy. Positive impressions are automatically invalid so please do not waste your energy typing them.

I hate that I don't own an yggdrasil dac.

May 4, 2015 at 4:09 PM Post #6,710 of 9,484
  Just saying, yea I guess the resistors inside the Ygg may benefit from an optimal working temperature (quite high, tbh) due to the nature of these electronics, but I wouldn't call this process a Thermal Equilibrium... 
confused.gif

I don't think it is so much the resistors as the oscillators and dac chips themselves.  For example, see this page about the complexities in trying to compensate for temperature changes and avoid oscillator drift.  http://www.radio-electronics.com/info/data/crystals/tcxo.php  Humorously, as described, DTCXO's appear to require their own dac in tandem with the DSP used to adjust for thermal changes.  I don't know if the VCXO's used in schiit products have temperature compensation or not, and my understanding is that the inclusion of temperature compensation circuits raises its own issues and complexities.  So yeah, reaching thermal equilibrium is good, and this is why it is not at all unique that schiit recommends leaving the dac on.

May 4, 2015 at 4:46 PM Post #6,711 of 9,484
Ordered @ schiit-europe.com!

I think they just opened the page for orders. Pricing is reasonable at 2450 euro (quite a bit cheaper than ordering from schiit.com at current exchange rates). 

My order # was 100000397. 

May 4, 2015 at 4:51 PM Post #6,712 of 9,484

I don't want to comment too much about these points in time, as I feel this is still a moving target. I will post more complete impressions, once I get to a point where I hear no further changes. Some of the things the Theta was better with: better body vs respectively thinner sounding the Yggdrasil, better bass weight and slam, smoother R2R sounding, with better flow. With some brighter systems/transducers those traits could be preferred despite Yggdrasil's technical prowess areas comparatively. 

Some of these things could be comparatively different by the time I post the next update. Who knows. :) I can say the Theta was off all day today and I have just turned it on, so it warms for the next update late today or tomorrow.

Negura, is the Theta R-2R a None Oversampling DAC? I think it is 20 Bit Burr Brown oversampling (correct me if not). I used to have a great Pioneer DAC in the 1990s with those chips.

I would recommend some of you guys try and listen to an Audio Note R-2R None Over Sampling DAC. They have a great smooth grain free and realistic sound, use all valves and are well built. 
They kick hard in the bass and have tons of detail with no edge, and are close, maybe better than a really top turntable rig IMO. Very different to most other Delta -Sigma DACs. They may not suit everyone, but to me they sound so real. I have 2 and have owned 5 in total. The Lampizator models re good R-2R as well IMO.

May 4, 2015 at 4:56 PM Post #6,713 of 9,484
double post

May 4, 2015 at 4:57 PM Post #6,714 of 9,484

To be honest I am not sure, however this Theta (Generation V) only does one thing: 16bit/44khz... I am not sure there is scope to oversample anything.

May 4, 2015 at 5:00 PM Post #6,715 of 9,484

I'm expecting my 115V Yggy to ship today (hopefully) as 30865 shipped Friday and my order number is 30866.  It's just after 12pm Pacific time US.  The shipping notifications seem to come mid-afternoon.  So check back in a few hours.  

My order (30866 115V) just shipped @ 1:56pm Pacific time US.
beerchug.gif

May 4, 2015 at 5:18 PM Post #6,716 of 9,484

I would recommend some of you guys try and listen to an Audio Note R-2R None Over Sampling DAC. They have a great smooth grain free and realistic sound, use all valves and are well built.
They kick hard in the bass and have tons of detail with no edge, and are close, maybe better than a really top turntable rig IMO. Very different to most other Delta -Sigma DACs. They may not suit everyone, but to me they sound so real. I have 2 and have owned 5 in total. The Lampizator models re good R-2R as well IMO.

I have a ANK DAC 2.1 Level B Sig. that I might throw in the fray for comparison purposes.  I assume that it has the AD1865N DAC chip rather than the earlier PCM63P-K.

A nice battle o' the $2K R2R DACs appears to be shaping up.

May 4, 2015 at 5:22 PM Post #6,717 of 9,484
To Whom it may Interest:

At 5:09 P.M. E.D.T., I received an e-mail indicating that Yggdrasil, order #30882, had shipped...

Now it is a question of how long it will take to make it from the west coast to the east coast, specifically, Florida...with Schiit Audio 's standard shipping process...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back