New Schiit! Ragnarok and Yggdrasil
May 4, 2015 at 5:52 PM Post #6,723 of 9,484
Pretty much the same story here.  Early on, I thought heard very slight differences from toggling the phase inverter on certain recordings, but I couldn't pick up any difference at all when I played with it yesterday.  (I'm starting to wonder if the toggle is working as intended on my unit.)  For those of you who hear a clear difference with the inverter, is that true of all recordings or only some?  If the latter, could you direct me towards one where it is more obvious?  Is the sound interrupted at all when you hit the button or does it just change a little?

On an unrelated topic, I'd ask that Prot, prepro (who liked Prot's recent post) and money4me go back and reread the posts by those of us who actually own this dac a bit more carefully before trying to shove us all in the same box as "regurgitating" what the early reviewers already put out there.  There is a fair amount of agreement with certain aspects of Purrin's sentiment about the yggy's sonics, but you have glossed over a lot of details and specifics that probably do have some value to other readers, even if all you care about are Negura's comparisons to a particular vintage Theta that is totally inaccessible to most people.   Feel free to attack my initial comments as you will (http://www.head-fi.org/t/667711/new-schiit-ragnarok-and-yggdrasil/6390#post_11559214 ), but for those readers who are coming from mid-level sources and wondering what they might expect if they jump on the yggy bandwagon, I hope my comments will be of some use...particularly in comparison to the noise and valueless speculation certain prolific non-owners seem to feel the need to spout in this thread.    

Not sure why you got so upset, yours is even one of the good reviews. It's just that some of us want/need to hear something else... e.g. comparisons with well known DACs in the 2k-10k range. It's good to know that the iggy is better than $500 dacs but that's more or less assumed (unfortunately not the safest assumption ever).

My only obs to your review would be the word 'embarasses' .. generally I simply dismiss reviews which use words like 'destroys', 'night&day' etc. My only "expertise" in audio is the fact that I travel a lot and visted more audio shops than I can remember. Heard a lot of good setups and gear but I never heard a DAC that 'destroys' even a 'lousy' iphone. Even motherbord soundcards have nothing to be embarassed about nowadays. But that's just my way and personal opinion, no need to get upset about it.

jacal01 'parotting' was not my word, didnt even know it. Otherwise agree with your post.

May 4, 2015 at 5:54 PM Post #6,724 of 9,484
To Whom it may Interest:

At 5:09 P.M. E.D.T., I received an e-mail indicating that Yggdrasil, order #30882, had shipped...

Now it is a question of how long it will take to make it from the west coast to the east coast, specifically, Florida...with Schiit Audio 's standard shipping process...

Mine arrives tomorrow, 7 days after it shipped to the Northeast.

May 4, 2015 at 6:37 PM Post #6,728 of 9,484
Nobody is even a little bit curious to see if they are imagining things?

I would do it if I had one

It is probably more of a question of who is going to leverage the first power failure to post some thoughts afterwards. :)

May 4, 2015 at 6:39 PM Post #6,729 of 9,484
It is probably more of a question of who is going to leverage the first power failure to post some thoughts afterwards.
smily_headphones1.gif

Great, so who's building a generator backup system for the house to make sure that never happens?
tongue_smile.gif

May 4, 2015 at 6:42 PM Post #6,730 of 9,484
  Ordered @ schiit-europe.com!

I think they just opened the page for orders. Pricing is reasonable at 2450 euro (quite a bit cheaper than ordering from schiit.com at current exchange rates). 

My order # was 100000397. 

Nice !

I believe it's the law in the EU to include VAT in the retail price… the Yggy is €2450 (on sale from €2500 ?) including VAT (for the Netherlands), so therefore buying it from any other EU country is cheaper by the 21% VAT in the Netherlands (it's different in each EU country)… meaning it's about 10% cheaper than in the US, haha ! "reasonable" indeed-

Schitt has been distributing in the EU via Sonority-Audio in the Netherlands since mid '13-  

Asia next ?

Don't shoot the messenger…. just relaying info on the site provided...

David

May 4, 2015 at 6:51 PM Post #6,733 of 9,484
It's just that sometimes I find myself listening to something, after a while I start to think 'A' sounds better and better than 'B', then I do a switch back to 'B' to confirm how much more I like 'A', only to find out that 'B' is a lot closer than I thought and my mind was playing games with me.  I don't think anyone is immune to this, and over a week, with no reference to a cold Yggy I'm just saying it can be hard to know how much of what you're hearing is in your imagination.

Talk of backup generators to have that extra couple of percent seems pretty crazy to me when something like a simple headphone upgrade could give an extra 50% to some people's systems...

May 4, 2015 at 7:18 PM Post #6,734 of 9,484
  It's just that sometimes I find myself listening to something, after a while I start to think 'A' sounds better and better than 'B', then I do a switch back to 'B' to confirm how much more I like 'A', only to find out that 'B' is a lot closer than I thought and my mind was playing games with me.  I don't think anyone is immune to this, and over a week, with no reference to a cold Yggy I'm just saying it can be hard to know how much of what you're hearing is in your imagination.

Obviously the solution is to buy another Yggdrasil!

Seriously though, I strongly agree with you. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back