New Schiit! Ragnarok and Yggdrasil
May 4, 2015 at 11:15 PM Post #6,752 of 9,484
So you're ok with it being off for more than a couple of minutes and then waiting a week? I guess it's a trade off. Kind of sucks having an APC taking up space just to plug into in case the lights go out.

I use a Powervar 2.0 conditioner.  If the power goes out, the power goes out.  I plug in another DAC if the Yggy ends up insufferable until it gets back to whatever is a tolearable state.  Not the end of the world.

HS

May 4, 2015 at 11:52 PM Post #6,753 of 9,484
  Ok… 96 hrs on burn in… (burn in = actually playing dynamic music as a load to the Yggy, plugged into my line stage) (not necessary to turn on the line stage or amps, although I've listened daily)

To refresh recollections… I'm comparing Yggy to my MSB Analog Dac w/ Desktop PS (not the Power Base) which I listened to daily for close to two years… as well as several other audio buddies-

Since I'm burning in, these are NOT direct a/b comparisons...

This is brief + I'm a lousy 'reviewer', haha… especially since Yggy is only 1/2 way broken in-  She's being fed a cap stretching diet (24/7) of dynamic orchestral or heavy metal via Redbook up to HiRez SACD rips-  Simply having her powered up, is not the same-

What it is doing now :  

Tone, tone, tone !  She sounds like music… on occasion actually drawing you in, like a Siren song… The separation of instruments is improving… (what I mean is not some audiophile unnatural floating in space mumbo jumbo, just that instruments/players can 'pop out' at you better than previous)…. The soundstage is widening… (more or less to speaker width)… the stage is getting deeper… bass is getting somewhat more solidified… complicated stuff doesn't 'mush together' (pro audiophile term, haha)

What it's not doing :

The true analog (top notch turntable i.e. 30K+) ebb & flow… where sometimes it seems like things may even be going in slow motion, the flow is so 'right'… PRaT isn't really there yet…  the treble is very slightly glassy, not to be confused w/ edgy… I think it's just not fully extended yet.. the mid to upper mid-bass is slightly disconnected & needs to be slightly meatier… the bass is not quite as solid & oomphy as it could be… not that BS rock solid, unnatural crap… just proper, musical, full bass isn't quite there.. decay is lacking… dynamic swings aren't quite realized..

One example… Dead Can Dance 'Into the Labyrinth' SACD rip (yes I can..) via PCM of course (JRiver) is really something, however… the drum thwacks are close to there… the feeling everything is swirling & swimming around you isn't quite realized… not as 'scary' in certain sections as possible..

So where does that leave me ?  

I've been reading about Yggy for a while… it's hyped to DEATH !  or is it ?  The three gurus who've reviewed/listened/given learned opinions, made the Yggy sound like a GIANT KILLER !  I bought into the hype too !  This is the first time in 25 years, I've paid full retail for anything over 500 bucks, haha !

So being so hyped & directly being compared to a DAC I dig, the MSB Analog… she's got big boots to fill !

Putting it in perspective :  First.. Yggy is a direct sale item… it should therefore be totaly fair to compare her to DACs twice the price or so… that means 4500ish, not any retail DACs at 2500 range..  So that means, apples to apples, Yggy is a little less than 1/2 the price of the Analog under these circumstances...

so… only about 1/2 broken in, & considering that both, she's come a descent distance since new & assuming she'll continue on the same trajectory… imho… she's at about 85% presently, of the Analog's (w/o Power Base option) capabilities- 

Now as stated, these comparisons are from memory…  I'll be comparing somewhat more unfairly, directly, this upcoming 'Lost Weekend' to the Analog DAC with a Power Base…. I also have a borrowed Theta Gen VA, but need to figure out what stinking cable to use, to be fair...

I have high hopes, Yggy can be a giant killer indeed...

David

Great write-up, David! Very descriptive. Hang in there, I'm confident there is more good stuff to come from Yggy. It's made remarkable improvement given you haven't even had it for a full week yet. A month from now, I expect, you will be quite happy. 

Cheers,
Stephen aka PC 

May 5, 2015 at 12:19 AM Post #6,754 of 9,484

You're not even a little bit curious? Ignorance is bliss maybe? I don't think there is any harm in confirmation regardless of how strongly you feel like you hear something.  Sound memory is a funny thing and to claim that you have a perfect memory for many hours of listening over the period of a week is a bit of an unbelievable claim. I mean, I'm not calling you a liar, but I'm just saying even if you 100% believe what you're saying, there's a chance that you're mistaken.  And not specifically you - anyone who has said the same thing.  Surely at least a few people are willing to put their ears to the test. --- Look forward to your findings Chris F

this +1000. audio memory and the natural way our brains focus on different aspects on the music with every time we hit replay makes double checking first impressions critical for accurate impressions (imo).

edit: clarification, it is entirely possible to hear something significantly/emotionally different even when using the exact same equipment. there are times you notice details that you never noticed in the music previously while using the same components. sometimes a specific portion of the song moves us more one particular day. the point of going back and double checking or going back and comparing is to see how reproducible that specific effect is and whether it is due to a difference in equipment or just a difference caused by some other random factor.

May 5, 2015 at 1:58 AM Post #6,756 of 9,484
There are no rules as to when something is totally burned in (no more sound improvement).  Over on Audiogon there are some that say the PS Audio Directstream DAC needs 600 hours or more to fully bloom.....some say the Rowland DAC takes 1000 hours.  The only way to know is to keep em burning.  Run it on repeat for 24 hours a day into a load and just keep listening.  600 hours is only 26 straight days.....it is not a lifetime.  Just keep er on and burning.....and let everyone know if it keeps changing.  I really think all manufacturers should give a 30 day home trial.  I am doing that with my new Class A amp I am about to release.

May 5, 2015 at 2:07 AM Post #6,757 of 9,484
Electricity is 'white man's magic' and I dont like to think about things like that. I'm constantly astounded that the *lights* even work in this part of the world, but work they do. I left my Marantz on 24/7 for months and only turned it off when I could hear thunder in the distance - very little flickering and only two 'proper' outtages in 12 months - if they can manage that in a developing country, I'm not sure what's happening in North America ..... 

Still cant help wondering what happens when they have to add just one more line to this pole in the Big Mango. 

May 5, 2015 at 2:22 AM Post #6,758 of 9,484
  Nice !

I believe it's the law in the EU to include VAT in the retail price… the Yggy is €2450 (on sale from €2500 ?) including VAT (for the Netherlands), so therefore buying it from any other EU country is cheaper by the 21% VAT in the Netherlands (it's different in each EU country)… meaning it's about 10% cheaper than in the US, haha ! "reasonable" indeed-

Schitt has been distributing in the EU via Sonority-Audio in the Netherlands since mid '13-  

Asia next ?

Don't shoot the messenger…. just relaying info on the site provided...

David

Yes, 21% VAT is included. Currently it is on sale from €2590. 

May 5, 2015 at 2:58 AM Post #6,759 of 9,484
My Yggy has shipped at last!

Order #30896......I am stoked to try it out....

May 5, 2015 at 9:33 AM Post #6,760 of 9,484
  I believe it's the law in the EU to include VAT in the retail price… the Yggy is €2450 (on sale from €2500 ?) including VAT (for the Netherlands), so therefore buying it from any other EU country is cheaper by the 21% VAT in the Netherlands (it's different in each EU country)… meaning it's about 10% cheaper than in the US, haha ! "reasonable" indeed-

Schitt has been distributing in the EU via Sonority-Audio in the Netherlands since mid '13-

Has anyone (outside of  US) been ordering direct from Schiit even if there is a distributer in their own country?

If so, why? pros and cons?

I'd have thought that ordering from the local distrobutor is just easier. No hassle for Import Duty/VAT and less hassle for returns. I'd expect that typically you'd have to pay a bit extra for the local service.

May 5, 2015 at 9:42 AM Post #6,761 of 9,484
  Has anyone (outside of  US) been ordering direct from Schiit even if there is a distributer in their own country?

If so, why? pros and cons?

I'd have thought that ordering from the local distrobutor is just easier. No hassle for Import Duty/VAT and less hassle for returns. I'd expect that typically you'd have to pay a bit extra for the local service.

I bought direct. EU/UK distributors hinted sometime July to me a while ago and I did not want to wait 2-3 months. Schiit-europe is offering a discount on the Yggdrasil right now, with stocks in July apparently.

May 5, 2015 at 10:59 AM Post #6,762 of 9,484

• 165 hours. I'd like to hear from folks who've had Yggy on up to this point.
  • Decent CD transport. I'd like to hear if any other people have tried spinners vs. USB.
  • For those wanting i2s, I'm curious what converter with i2s out you guys are considering.
  • On phase inversion switch, I'd like to hear from folks using speakers - and what recordings, what source?

Besides the Theta Data III, which other transports do you like ?  

What 'connection' is your favorite to the DAC ?

Ever try CEC belt drive transports ?

David

May 5, 2015 at 11:19 AM Post #6,763 of 9,484

• Decent CD transport. I'd like to hear if any other people have tried spinners vs. USB.
  • For those wanting i2s, I'm curious what converter with i2s out you guys are considering.
  • On phase inversion switch, I'd like to hear from folks using speakers - and what recordings, what source?

I'm well over 200 hours now - my Yggy was delivered 4/25

I've tested 2 primary methods of input into the Yggy
1) USB via WASAPI w/o Wyrd
2) I2S to S/PDIF from HifiBerry Digi on a RPi2

To my ears the S/PDIF edges out the USB connection right now just by a hair, but the convenience of USB to device w/o a good S/PDIF output.  I have a Wyrd on order and will report back when it comes in.

I have no feedback really on the phase inversion switch as I have not heard any difference in any of my recordings.

May 5, 2015 at 11:29 AM Post #6,764 of 9,484

Only 60 hours here but to point 4, I only listen through speakers as I have no headphones at the moment and I don't hear much difference with the phase inversion switch.

May 5, 2015 at 11:31 AM Post #6,765 of 9,484

To my ears the S/PDIF edges out the USB connection right now just by a hair, but the convenience of USB to device w/o a good S/PDIF output.  I have a Wyrd on order and will report back when it comes in.

I have a Wyrd and I am not sure why I have not tried it with the Yggdrasil yet.  The Wyrd is tethered to my Master 7 right now so maybe its laziness.  I'll make sure to try it out starting tonight.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back