New Schiit! Ragnarok and Yggdrasil
May 5, 2015 at 5:07 PM Post #6,781 of 9,484
Originally Posted by AlanU /img/forum/go_quote.gif

So far it seems most here are using the Yggy with a solid state amp. I wonder where all the tube people are in the hype of Yggy??? I'm truly curious to see how many people understand musical bliss from colourized overtones/distortion of tubes mixed with a killer solid state dac?....

I'll be first connecting the Yggy single ended outputs through a stepped attenuator feeding my tube amp inputs.  It is the most pure, basic, and organic setup I have available.  Not particularly looking for a special "sound" other than do I like it and is it believable.  Eventually I will get around to XLR connecting a solid state amp but its sound is more clinical and ho-hum with my current equipment..

May 5, 2015 at 5:13 PM Post #6,782 of 9,484
No, they sent me a replacement and I do not know the source of the problem. But at least the yggy outputs the signal to my rag. I just thought the Yggdrasil would get warm. My yggy is cold to the touch. So in about 200 hours I will start to write up impressions.

Mine is just warm to the touch not hot by any stretch of the imagination, it's been on for a week now.

I'll be first connecting the Yggy single ended outputs through a stepped attenuator feeding my tube amp inputs.  It is the most pure, basic, and organic setup I have available.  Not particularly looking for a special "sound" other than do I like it and is it believable.  Eventually I will get around to XLR connecting a solid state amp but its sound is more clinical and ho-hum with my current equipment..

I have mine connected to my Taboo MKIII and it is doing just fine with tubes...as I stated earlier in this thread.

May 5, 2015 at 6:08 PM Post #6,783 of 9,484
My yggy is starting to get luke warm, I have the cd on repeat, for now. During burn in of the yggy, must I run a audio signal into it the entire time as well?

May 5, 2015 at 6:14 PM Post #6,784 of 9,484
  I agree with dglow.

@freddy1201 are you using an AU (such as an EQ) with Audirvana?  That can easily push the signal into clipping; especially if you add bass.

The solution is to reduce the output post filter by a few dB.  You can do this with another AU or some EQs such as Fabfilter have configurable post filter pan/gain.

No eq, no upsampling, nothing. 

May 5, 2015 at 6:28 PM Post #6,785 of 9,484
Somewhere between 150-156 hours: Please excuse me if I am not going to post impressions for a while now. I've got some listening to do. =)

May 5, 2015 at 6:35 PM Post #6,786 of 9,484
old Khorns tend to do that to people.........

Sorry for stooping to your level.......

I'm being quite curious with the folks here. 

That's ironic considering I was already stooping to yours. My khorns are almost as old as your tired ignorant jabs at tube amplification.

Now back to enjoying my Yggy.

May 5, 2015 at 6:54 PM Post #6,789 of 9,484
My yggy is starting to get luke warm, I have the cd on repeat, for now. During burn in of the yggy, must I run a audio signal into it the entire time as well?

No you don't.  

If you go back and read his posts, Mike talks about "warm-up" and that once the DAC and it's electronics have been up to operating temperature for a certain number of hours (it appears to be around 160+ hours) Yggy will show its full potential.  If it makes you feel better, run a signal, but I don't believe the DACmeister has said that a signal is required.

May 5, 2015 at 7:28 PM Post #6,793 of 9,484
No you don't.  

If you go back and read his posts, Mike talks about "warm-up" and that once the DAC and it's electronics have been up to operating temperature for a certain number of hours (it appears to be around 160+ hours) Yggy will show its full potential.  If it makes you feel better, run a signal, but I don't believe the DACmeister has said that a signal is required.

Sweet that's great to know, and I shall not run a audio signal into the Yggdrasil 24/7. Hope yea have a great night jamming out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back