New Schiit! Ragnarok and Yggdrasil
May 5, 2015 at 7:48 PM Post #6,796 of 9,484
My yggy is starting to get luke warm, I have the cd on repeat, for now. During burn in of the yggy, must I run a audio signal into it the entire time as well?

No you don't.  

If you go back and read his posts, Mike talks about "warm-up" and that once the DAC and it's electronics have been up to operating temperature for a certain number of hours (it appears to be around 160+ hours) Yggy will show its full potential.  If it makes you feel better, run a signal, but I don't believe the DACmeister has said that a signal is required.

If it's been turned off after 160 hours, do we need to go through that 160 hours again to get to the same point of good SQ?

May 5, 2015 at 7:49 PM Post #6,797 of 9,484
Pics of my Yggdrasil and Ragnarok

May 5, 2015 at 7:58 PM Post #6,798 of 9,484
If it's been turned off after 160 hours, do we need to go through that 160 hours again to get to the same point of good SQ?

that's what I understand, although Mike has said that some of his old Theta DACs got to the "sweet spot" more quickly as they aged so maybe this will happen with Yggy, but it will still be measured in days, not minutes.

May 5, 2015 at 7:59 PM Post #6,799 of 9,484
Wanted to briefly report back regarding the phase inverter.  I played with this for quite a while last night, on a lot of different tracks, and I did manage to hear some very minor differences by comparing brief passages in short succession.  Among the easiest to hear, for me, was Alison Krauss' Paper Airplane, track 2 "Dust Bowl Children."  Inverting the signal shifts the positioning of the vocals slightly to make them sound a little more dispersed between left and right, whereas in phase, they are just a little more focused, centered and clear.  That said, like the guy on hydrogen audio, I am confident I would fail spectacularly if I tried a blind test on this without rapid switching.  

May 5, 2015 at 8:12 PM Post #6,801 of 9,484
The experience of the 154-160 hours Yggdrasil on speakers is completely shattering. This is where a major change in sound occurred and I have never heard anything like this in my life on speakers. I have heard more than a few 6 digits rigs.

I can summarize I have experienced before:
- delta/sigma
- R2R
- and now the Yggdrasil

I will need some time to describe exactly what this thing is doing as it is not part of the normal audiophile vocabulary. It's not about technical prowess, although there is that in spades too. This is something else completely. It's smooth, it's unitary and it's analogic sounding, but there's more too. It's bloody impressive natural and realistic, while being understated at the same time.

Unfortunately with my headphones I think I am hitting a bit of a transducers limitation. The modded HD800s can't handle what my speakers can in terms of realism and effortlessness. Although they try to push the analytic side, it's a bit of a desperate effort. They sound a bit off and a bit of a struggle. The HE-6s do a bit a better at realism, but have some flaws of their own. My hopes lie with the HE1000s now. My upstream rig is exactly the same for both headphones and speakers.

P.S.: I almost hate to think how the Yggdrasil is going to be a victim of its own success. At this price, a lot of them will be sold as I simply don't see what else can even remotely compete. Some will understand it, some will hype it further and some will thrash it. And then all the upcoming rabid fans... Enjoy a moment of peace while you can folks.

May 5, 2015 at 8:12 PM Post #6,802 of 9,484
  You'll drive yourself insane using that button. 

Agree. The proper place to fix this is at the transport. Upthread somebody expressed the desire for an online database of recordings known to have incorrect polarity. I'm happy to mark up my library with metadata and leave it at that. But no OCD auditioning of another hypersubtledigitalminutia setting, please.

Questions for the assembled:

1. Can anybody detect the polarity change with headphones? I've only be able to do so with speakers.
2. Does such a database of polarity-inverted recordings exist?

May 5, 2015 at 8:13 PM Post #6,803 of 9,484
My old ass Theta Cobalt 307 has a phase inverter switch.  Only difference I've ever heard in my whole life since I got this thing in the early 90s was a more focused soundstage with speakers.  And that was a very rare occurrence. 

May 5, 2015 at 8:27 PM Post #6,804 of 9,484
Anyone know how the Rag pairs with the Gungnir? I love my m/g stack with the LCD-3c, but it can get a little aggressive up top even with the classic drivers. I want to upgrade at some point, but not sure if it should be amp or dac first. I have no way of knowing if its the gungnir or mjolnir causing the slightly harsh highs.

May 5, 2015 at 8:29 PM Post #6,805 of 9,484

Agree. The proper place to fix this is at the transport. Upthread somebody expressed the desire for an online database of recordings known to have incorrect polarity. I'm happy to mark up my library with metadata and leave it at that. But no OCD auditioning of another hypersubtledigitalminutia setting, please.

1. Can anybody detect the polarity change with headphones? I've only be able to do so with speakers.

AFAIK, there is not a comprehensive database for this...however, if we are to believe this guy (link below) we're screw**! 

"
All tracks on approximately 92% of compact discs (CDs) play in inverted polarity on approximately 92% of compact disc players (CD players or servers that they’ve been ripped to) which means polarity mistakes aren’t random (mathematically proved below).  The converse of that is that approximately only 8% of CD players play all tracks on approximately 92% of CDs in non-inverted polarity (absolute polarity)."

http://audiogeorge.com/30-years-of-digital-and-the-92-solution/

May 5, 2015 at 8:35 PM Post #6,806 of 9,484
  The experience of the 154-160 hours Yggdrasil on speakers is completely shattering. This is where a major change in sound occurred and I have never heard anything like this in my life on speakers. And I have heard more than a few 6 digits rigs.

I can summarize I have experienced before:
- delta/sigma
- R2R
- and now the Yggdrasil

I will need some time to describe exactly what this thing is doing as it is not part of the normal audiophile vocabulary. It's not about technical prowess, although there is that in spades too. This is something else completely. It's smooth, it's unitary and it's analogic sounding, but there's more too. It's bloody impressive natural and realistic, while being understated at the same time.

Unfortunately with my headphones I think I am hitting a bit of a transducers limitation. The modded HD800s can't handle what my speakers can in terms of realism and effortlessness. Although they try to push the analytic side, it's a bit of a desperate effort. They sound a bit off and a bit of a struggle. The HE-6s do a bit a better at realism, but have some flaws of their own. My hope lies with the HE1000s now. My upstream rig is exactly the same for both headphones and speakers.

I have only used Yggy with speakers (Vivid Audio B-1), but this is my experience too...and I've had my share DACs in my system.  Yggy is pretty special. 

And since this appears to be important to people, I have owned the following DACs 

Since 2009
PS Audio DLIII w/ Cullen upgrade
PS Audio PWD v1
Linn Akurate
Linn Klimax DS/1
Teac UD-501
Benchmark DAC2 HGC
Ayre QB-9
Ayre QB-9 DSD <-- still own
Audio Research Ref Dac <-- still own (for now)
Schiit Yggdrasil <-- still own

May 5, 2015 at 8:42 PM Post #6,807 of 9,484

It does get complicated.  Some software HDCD decoders have been known to invert polarity.  One of these days I need to confirm if the software decoder I've used (CUETools) has inverted the polarity when decoding HDCD.  I suspect that it has.  I've been reluctant to confirm because it would mean I'd need to re-process all of my HDCD titles and I'd rather not do that.  So I'd rather not know.  Ignorance is bliss.  Unless you're OCD...

May 5, 2015 at 9:00 PM Post #6,808 of 9,484
Is there a way to run the Yggy to two preamps/amps via balanced xlr connections? (one for headphones, one for speakers, not necessarily both at not at the same time)? Not a whole lot in XLR switchers out there it would seem. Thanks!

May 5, 2015 at 9:02 PM Post #6,809 of 9,484
  Is there a way to run the Yggy to two preamps/amps via balanced xlr connections? (one for headphones, one for speakers, not necessarily both at not at the same time)? Not a whole lot in XLR switchers out there it would seem. Thanks!

I haven't actually tested it on mine but IIRC all of the outputs on the Yggy are active all the time - so yes you could run it into 2 amps, or 3 for that matter.

I would be very weary of an XLR switcher as its very likely to introduce noise.

May 5, 2015 at 9:22 PM Post #6,810 of 9,484
  Anyone know how the Rag pairs with the Gungnir? I love my m/g stack with the LCD-3c, but it can get a little aggressive up top even with the classic drivers. I want to upgrade at some point, but not sure if it should be amp or dac first. I have no way of knowing if its the gungnir or mjolnir causing the slightly harsh highs.

Having owned this stack before and being very familiar with it and what others think about it, the Mojo would be culprit if you find the pairing too aggressive for your LCD-3c.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back